Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: The Devil You Know (313)

Am I the only one who thinks this and Jolinar's Memories should have been the Season 3 finale/Season 4 opener? I think Apophis returning at the end of Jolinar's Memories would have been a fantastic way to end the season, and then opening up Season 4 with The Devil You May Know. I think that would have been a better way to end the season and open season 4 than with the introduction of the Replicators. Don't get me wrong, the introduction of the Replicators was vital, but surely Nemesis/Small Victories could have been the mid-season two parter, making Jolinar's Memories the finale, which would have been much more fitting in my eyes.

Great episode for me, loved it My one problem is they killed off Sokar, far too soon :/ I mean, this guy was badass, renegade Goa'uld, who had taken on the persona of Satin, and who all the other Goa'uld feared. He should have been one of the ultimate bad guys in the series!

But all in all, loved the episode

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Yeah, they did kill off Sokar a bit too soon, but I loved the ep anyway. Great wry humor from O'Neill.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant FrodoFraggins's Avatar

8.5/10

I thought part 2 was much weaker than the first part. The lack of defenses around Sokars ship, until after Teal'c flies off and yet another last second rescue brought it down for me.
    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

This is on par with the first part. I don't think it strives to be bigger or more epic, and settles for just letting the story conclude. Sokar turned out to be nothing much after all the build up. Apophis is his usual uninteresting and cliched self. The most entertaining part of the story is probably Teal'c's little adventure with the Tok'ra.

The forced memory scenes are the weakest part of the episode, mostly because their cheese factor is just too much to take, and the show had done a great job of moving away from that. The kid who played Charley was kind of creepy, and the silly editing is just annoying more than anything.

I thought the fact that Jack gets badly hurt finally goes to show that he runs his mouth of a bit too often! There are times when his sarcastic one-liners become a bit too expected of him, and he needs to calm down once in a while. Overall, this episode was a bit too over-the-top in places but for the wrong reasons. There is no real spectacle, and even the set design which was impressive in the first part, doesn't feel quite as wonderful here. Notably, the scene with Apophis talking to the gathered crowds was puny.

RATING: 7 out of 10

I watched this episode straight after pt 1 and I wasn't sure which part I was in ( like all the characters under the influence of the 'blood of Sokar'!) when writing my views on this episode. Most of the things I posted in the first part belonged to this one! Maybe I shouldn't post my views of episodes when I'm tired and dozing off!

I agree about Sokar being taken out of the picture before we even had a chance to think..... hey,a pretty cool bad guy, playing Satan no less! I suppose they made up for it with Anubis later on.

Loved the scene of Sam back in the '80's, I had a dress similar to the one she was wearing!!!

Still wondering how they got out of the 'pit' after blowing the grate off, with a barely conscious Jacob, and injured O'Neill, given the height from which they fell when they were thrown in!!! Made the ending feel very rushed.

The secrets of Earth and the Tok'ra hang in the balance during Apophis' fight for freedom. High stakes! And the swift editing between plot elements (quiet Sam/Martouf moment to Jack/Charlie hallucination to Teal'c pleading with the Tok'ra then back again certainly kept my attention.

Crafts were really good...background art and makeup made you feel the smothering heat. But I did feel the most pain for Jack's knees more than in any other ep. Daniel tying off the staff blast wound and Pop's First Prime whacking his injury to force the Blood of Sokar down his throat really made me cringe.

Seeing Sam's Major Matt Mason doll in the background during her hallucination sequence at home plus the last line when Jacob, after escaping Hell, asks Sam whether she has any leave coming up really show the true humor of the writers.
    "Daniel...I'm gonna pass out now."

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

I didn't like this ep as much as I did the first part.

Sad to see Sokar go so early.

My LiveJournal post
    Great two-parter.
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    I didn't like this ep as much as I did the first part.

Sad to see Sokar go so early.
    I agree. I liked the first part better too.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

DVDs Re: The Devil You Know (313)

Pretty good conclusion to this 2-parter.

So, now Apophis is now at version 2.0, with the patches near his eye. And this is the last we see of him until the back half of next season.

Like with part 1, there's something that bugs me with some the CG sequences.

Tomorrow, the SGC has a "Foothold" situation from aliens that only appear in this episode..

Back to 5pm for another ep of SG1.

1. "Well, we're not too pleased to see you again...".

2. Blood of Sokar...not a bad idea but it didn't work...

3. Tok'ra...ouch...

4. So Sokar went from main bad guy to history in two eps at the hands of a guy we'd previously thought 'was' history! Impressive!

My favorite part of this episode was Teal'c confronting Aldwin about rescuing SG-1. No one messes with Teal'c when his friends are in danger!

Both were great episodes, and I agree with the majority here. Sokar should have stayed around for a while longer.

I thought the actor that played Sokar did a great job -and the makeup was fantastic. He seemed quite young for such a vicious old Goa'uld. The eyes were chilling.

After the reveal that it is really Apophis, we get a great Daniel line:
    "Your mate, Amaunet, is dead. Sorry to ruin your day," (defiantly petulant), "No, actually, I'm—I'm wrong about that. I'm not sorry."

Jack trying to keep Kintac from taking Sam to Apophis -and getting shot in the leg for his trouble.

I thought we got a little deeper info out of Sam's flashback -about her mom's death and how that affected her relationship with her father. I also really liked the interaction between Sam and Jacob later in the ep -she's begging him not to give up and a tear rolls down her face, and later she has him reclining on her with her hands loosely around his neck and shoulders. Dad/daughter time.

The flashbacks for Jack give additional gut-twists to those who have already become familiar with his loss. The idea that the memory is not exact...that Jack has altered it to cope with his pain:

CHARLIE: This is not what happened, Dad. You're changing everything just to make it better.
    O'NEILL: I know. Can't we just play catch?
    CHARLIE: What really happened is you got mad at me and I went into the house. Two weeks from now I shot myself with your gun. We never played catch today, and we never will.
    O'NEILL: Why? Why can't we just play catch?

Jack's "I know" is broken and forlorn in its own way. He knows that he's shielding himself with the altered memory. Heart-wrenching to live with that. Remember that in CotG he said that "I'll never forgive myself, but sometimes I can forget. Sometimes."

Teal'c's dedication to his friends should be mentioned -admirable.

Sokar was eliminated too easily -it would have been nice to keep the threat around.

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave…because I'd have rather died myself…than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
    2. Blood of Sokar...not a bad idea but it didn't work...
    That reminded me of that blood drink they used in Indy and the temple of doom..

The lets torture SG1 episode. I love it just because it gave an edge to Apophis. It was something he lacked in the earlier seasons. Its like suffering in Netu made him more psychopath then his former self. It also showed the demons of SG1 which I think is important. Some were obvious while others were a little more eye opening. Also this episode gave us more of Sokar then the previous episode which just saddens his quick death. Sokar was so creppy even for a Goa'uld that it was a pain to see him go so suddenly. Far more interesting then battling Apophis.

Its almost a cliche to say Teal'c is suicidal. He always takes these death risks to save SG1. I liked it not only because it showed the different mentality between the Tokra and Tealc. Aldwin was all the mission while Tealc was driven on emotion. Plus I like seeing us learn how the rings work.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I like the flashbacks in this episode and I wish Sokar got to stick around more unfortunately that doesn't happen.
    My favorite TV shows

Chief Master Sergeant

Wow I hate those Goa'uld!
    Felt bad for O'Neill, he had to watch his son and fight with him again :/

Staff Sergeant

[QUOTE=Morrissey;11419773]Am I the only one who thinks this and Jolinar's Memories should have been the Season 3 finale/Season 4 opener? I think Apophis returning at the end of Jolinar's Memories would have been a fantastic way to end the season, and then opening up Season 4 with The Devil You May Know. I think that would have been a better way to end the season and open season 4 than with the introduction of the Replicators. Don't get me wrong, the introduction of the Replicators was vital, but surely Nemesis/Small Victories could have been the mid-season two parter, making Jolinar's Memories the finale, which would have been much more fitting in my eyes.

[QUOTE]

Parts of it felt a bit too much like 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom', though. Especially the drinking blood bit (YUCK!) and the lava-ish atmosphere...

But yes, a good episode.
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Major General

I liked that it harkened back with those 2 aspects to the Temple of Doom..

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast