Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Write 'Atlantis' Reviews for GateWorld!

Hi everybody,

GateWorld is now searching for a new person to join the team, as a weekly reviews writer for Stargate Atlantis! Interested? Keep reading ...

You will write a weekly episode review for every episode of the show's first season -- 19 in total, and between 700 and 900 words each. Like our SG-1 reviews, these are editorial (personal opinion) pieces that critically evaluate the episode's story, direction, acting, production values, themes, overall contribution to the series, etc. More than just a catalog of "I liked this, I didn't like that," your reviews should be thoughtful and should provoke reflection from readers. The best reviews bring out aspects that the average viewer didn't necessary catch or think about when they first watched the episode.

Qualifications:
    - 18 years or older
    - U.S. viewer of The Sci-Fi Channel
    - Intend to watch the entire first season of Atlantis and give the new show a fair shake-down
    - Willing to commit to writing reviews for the whole of Season One
    - Some writing experience under your belt, though professional publication is not required
    - Ability and willingness to write and submit final (not first) draft copy by Monday-ish, following each Friday's new episode

This position is currently voluntary and unpaid, though we can promise that your writing will be read by thousands of Stargate fans worldwide!

If you are interested, here's what to do next!
    - First e-mail [email protected] and let me know that you are interested, and that you meet all of the qualifications above. If you've got writing and/or publishing experience, please include that info.
    - Write a sample review of any episode of Stargate SG-1, so that we can get a sense of your style, voice, and abilities. Aim for 700 to 900 words.
    - Remember: Thoughtful, critical analysis wins the day! Recapping scenes is not necessary; assume that your reader has seen the episode. Look for both the positive and negative to bring out; very few episodes deserve unqualified gushing or bashing.
    - For examples of what we're looking for, check out the recent SG-1 reviews in GateWorld's episode guide. In the top menu for a specific episode, look for the "REVIEW" link(s). Also, I highly recommend the Star Trek reviews penned by Michelle Erica Green, at TrekToday.

Sample reviews are due by Monday, July 12!

Many thanks to everyone who writes a review for us to consider. We regret that we can only choose one writer from those submissions received, but we look forward to reading them all.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 July 2004, 06:17 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Would you consider taking on additional reviewers when the series is part way through ie when the UK passes the US (if that happens with Atlantis)?
    sigpic

Comment

Gaaaaaaaaaaa!!! That link made me log in! Damn you Darren!!! Well, I guess I'll reitterate my question: Why 18?

Comment

Hmm... maybe I should try out for review writing. Muahaha...

Comment

Curious why you want only one writer when for season 7 of SG-1 you had two people reviewing the show.

Comment

We want to start out with one writer for Stargate Atlantis. We may add two later on, but just one will be fine for starters.

Comment

Possible vague spoilers, mostly from the Lowdown. If I'm spoiling anything serious, Atlantis is in even more trouble than I thought...

Review for Rising:
              I suspect that the clone from Fragile Balance has grown up a bit and changed his name to Sheppard. Cute scene in the chopper, but funny that Jack didn't recognize himself.

There was something with ancient technology and Daniel was talking about something but I wasn't really listening. McKay looked good in that scene.

Some chick (whom I hereby dub New Ray in honor of Due South fans everywhere) gave a big long speech about being the best of the best of the best and then they all shot at these alien targets... wait, wrong movie...

New FX for the extra long transit to another galaxy. Same annoying screech, tho. Team wasn't spat out stumbling and covered in frost. Kinda disappointed. McKay immediately proceeded to break something important. Amazingly enough, he actually manages to look hot in those ridiculous new uniforms.

There were some people somewhere. McKay pissed them off, but I think the others kissed and made up. Or one of them kissed. Or something. Tribe sent Sexy Alien Xena as a representative since it was obvious that the A-team is a walking disaster.

The Uruk Hai attacked. Note to self: aliens can be very cranky when they are dragged out of bed.

McKay was still looking hot even as he cowered behind a tree. Some stuff happened and I think a bunch of people died, but I was still laghing about McKay holding his gun so I may have missed something. Jack Clone and New Ray had a fight, maybe about Jack Clone swapping spit- I mean, necklaces, with Sexy Alien Xena and then McKay broke something else. He's so cute when he does that!

Looks like everyone is very depressed and missing Luke's food. There was something about being trapped with no way home, but that might have been a Voyager rerun. The writing on the wall said, "Knew this was one way ticket, but you know I had to come. Love you, wife." Or maybe I fell asleep. I don't think McKay was in that bit.

*** Good McKay stuff, but nobody would listen to him!

Previews for next week: More McKay!
              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 08 July 2004, 08:22 PM. Reason: forgot the Uruk Hai! Shame on me!

Comment

A question about the format, do we have to follow the paragraph structure that have been used in the season 7 reviews? Like can I add at the end, a list of unanswered questions.

Comment

You are fairly free to do whatever you want, as long as you take the entire episode under consideration and properly weigh pros and cons. Basically the structure of the review is done at your discretion.

Comment

18 for legal reasons. (In the U.S., if you are under 18 you technically don't have the right to grant publication permission without a parent or guardian signing off.)

Format should follow what you see in the SG-1 reviews on the site. Things like unanswered questions may be interesting if you can work them into the context of the review in paragraph form, but don't make a bulleted list. (Lists like that will eventually show up on the complete analysis on the main episode page.)

Thanks!
                    Darren

Comment

Darren how come you have two usernames?
                      [email protected]
                      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                      One nation under dog
                      There of which I stand alone
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

Because he's Darren and he's also Gateworld. The Grand Poobah!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

He's a god, he can do anything he wants.

Comment

It's the same guy that names his cat Jaffa!

Dist'ra Darren: Kel Fluffy... aah there. Kree Jaffa! Kek Fluffy!

Comment

*sigh* And I was SO hoping to find a Fluffy-less thread.

In all honesty, I don't think I'd be very good at review writing, and not just because of my obvious bias towards Wodney. My brain simply isn't wired that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X