No announcement yet.

Valley of Darkness (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this ep. They were due for an ep where they got boarded imo, and the Cylon plan of ejecting everyone into space and destroying the fleet was quite clever. Those centurians are certainly tough. Tigh was very good in command, and if it wasnt for him, they would have all died. Seeing starbucks house and stuff was cool too.

I found that whole scene where they killed their injured comrade to be very well done. Very well acted and writen

The last scene with Tigh and Apollo was very good. Shows that they both have problems, but the Commander brings out the best in em...
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I just watched this episode on the DVD last night, and maybe not quite as good as "Scattered", but still very good. Having watched the deleted scenes afterwards, I'm glad that none of those made it into the finished episode, although I liked the flashback, I would rather think that Tigh knew the Cylons' plans from his own experience rather than from something Adama told him.

I noticed Kate Vernon's name at the beginning as "guest star" but I don't remember her being in the actual episode, only in a deleted scene? I was getting in a bit of a panic about four minutes from the end as I thought since she was in it and hadn't appeared yet that she was going to be in the last scene, and I so wanted the last scene to be Tigh and Adama, so that was a relief. Nothing against Kate Vernon, I just thought the last scene should be.. exactly as it was. I loved seeing Tigh's impatience for Lee to leave at the end of the scene between them too!
      Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Just want to say that this was my favorite episode thus far:

I think its safe to say that I just screamed louder than I have in my entire life. The word that echoed around the world: "HEAD-SHOT!" Besides that loudest scream of my life, there were plenty of other screams, many many tears, and even a giggle or two. Blu-ray goodness.

(P.S. the song that Starbuck played in her apartment....frak man, frak. So amazing.)
        sigpic
        Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
        O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
        Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
        O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

It's one of my favourites as well. At what episode are you now?

Other episodes I list among my 'favourites' are:
          - Downloaded: finally an episode with the Cylon POV. The acting and writing in this episode is really amazing.
          - Lay Down Your Burdens: brilliant cliffhanger, and an episode that pushed the series in an exciting new direction
          - Occupation: brilliant season opener, again with an exciting new direction
          - Unfinished Business: character drama. Just brilliantly done.
          - Taking a Break From All Your Worries: very good Baltar-centric episode, you finally see who he 'really' is.
          - The Oath/Blood on the Scales: no explaining needed here I think
          Mia: Don't you hate that?
          Vincent: Hate what?
          Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
          Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
          Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
          - Pulp Fiction

Comment

I got the complete series for my birthday on Monday. This is my favorite episode yet! The blu's look and sound amazing.
            sigpic
            Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Happy belated birthday! Enjoy it

Comment

Just finished watching this episode a little while ago with my wife. This is her first time watching this show, and we started Season 2 tonight. So far, she really loves it. Re-watching this show with her is great, because she is always bugging me to tell her what happens next. I am really glad that she took to BSG like she has thus far.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

An effective and tense piece, but also at times poetic, through the use of good scoring.

Of course, all of the suspense of the Cylon boarding party is released in one brilliant action moment when a Centurion leaps at Apollo, and he barely redirects its course with an explosive round.

My favorite scene from the episode, however, was the death of Socinus. The use of the Season 1 theme as emotional layering really worked for me, as Tyrol comforted the man that took a fall for him out of loyalty.

Another couple of scenes greatly enhanced by music: the drowning, accompanied by wonderfully frantic scoring, and of course the Starbuck apartment scene that's pretty much universally highlighted.

This episode was a solid outing for all concerned, but especially for Bear McCreary and for the musical layering on display.

7/10
                  sigpic
                  Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Three distinct stories told so dang well.

I really enjoyed the mythical backstory. It's always fascinating when they flesh out that story, and all the more interesting how they weave it with the current storyline in a marvelous tapestry.

The scene in Starbuck's apartment was amazing. It gave us such insight into her character. A nod has to go out to McCreary, too - the Dreilide Thrace Sonata is gorgeous.

Laura Roslin. I know I've said it before, but she's just tough as nails. I *LOVE* it. And MM pulls it off perfectly. She was able to show us how devastated Roslin was by the carnage around her, while still portraying Roslin as the strong leader she is. And so magnanimous too. It's a delicate balance - portraying Roslin as strong but still human - and MM does it really well.

Great ending too. It's a devastating episode, but there's still a small shimmer of light amidst the darkness.
                    "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                    ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Just finished watching this episode a little while ago with my wife. This is her first time watching this show, and we started Season 2 tonight. So far, she really loves it. Re-watching this show with her is great, because she is always bugging me to tell her what happens next. I am really glad that she took to BSG like she has thus far.
                      I'm watching it with hubby, my first time and he's seen it before. I keep asking him questions too
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X