Past and Present (311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy
    Gene's switch on and off throughout our lives. He argues that our environment could act with a gene or could cause a gene to switch on if certain conditions are met.
    This is a fascinating theory, and thanks for sharing. I can only assume the sequence of these on/off events makes a difference as well. (I think I'll look up the book later on Amazon. )

Suppose Linea's complete memory loss had provided the tabula rasa. A favorable environment then switched on the "good" gene(s), which in turn fed the closed-loop of nature and nurture. The Kira personality finally emerged as the result of this process. Now that Kira has experienced a happy childhood (i.e., her earliest memories), will she still turn into the evil genius if Linea's memory resurfaces? Seems it depends on if behavior is determined by the genes or by the order in which they switch on and off.

The episode has Kira choose to bury Linea's memory -- or so SGC has been convinced -- but I forgot if she did it for a clear conscience or to ward off the evil in her nature.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      ...but i still didn't like her hair, or how daniel jumped into a relationship with her.
      I hate her hair, but that's neither here nor there.

What's wrong with Daniel jumping into a relationship? That seems to me to be how Daniel is. He is on the rebound (from Sha're's death), and here is a woman who trusts him - what's to stop him falling for her?
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

That evil chick is back.

Comment

This wasn't one of my favorites.

Comment

Her relationship with daniel was interesting... just after his wife died too.

Comment

Now I rather liked this episode, it had a good story and they played it out very well.

I also like that they finally told us what had happened to the woman from Prisoners, I always like it when shows remind us thar they do remember what happened earlier and don´t just forget about things.

Comment

I cant really place why i dislike this episode so much. I think its Kira, Even though i dont Like the Idea of Daniel Going for a new girl right after Shar'e's demise, we dont know how long it was since she died. Or maybe Kira was a way to help Daniel stay in denial or recover. I dont know, That wasn't the reason i disliked her, maybe it was the Hair! (in other words i dont know why i dislike her i just do) Probably the Episode i dislike the most.

I have not seen it in a while maybe if i watch it again i will change my mind

Comment

It was a good ep, but I have a real problem with Daniel liking Ke'ra after we watched him grieve for his wife the previous week. He does make a mention of it in the episode, but the relationship between them seems forced. Had they taken the attraction out between the characters, it might have been better.

MS said that the shooting schedule had problems, forcing this ep to air after FIAD. He didn't like it either that Daniel was kissing another women shortly after Sha're's death.

Could they have found a worse wig to put on Megan Leitch? (Ke'ra) That was awful. In X-Files her hair was a brown red. I don't know what color it was during the filming of this ep, but anything had to have been better than that wig. Sheesh.

Comment

I really like this episode.

But, I have a question. If all the old people became younger, what happened to the people already that age (30's or so) and what happened to the children? Each time I see this episode, when it's over I wonder if I missed that part again.
                    sigpic
                    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Originally posted by blueiris
                      I really like this episode.

But, I have a question. If all the old people became younger, what happened to the people already that age (30's or so) and what happened to the children? Each time I see this episode, when it's over I wonder if I missed that part again.
                      I've just finished watching this. The children are explained away by the pesticide: they simply had not had children for around 20 years.

The old people all turned young again - although thinking about it, the younger ones should have gone back further to "childhood" but then, the wee chappie mentioned that he and his wife had been married for 43 years, so maybe everyone was over 60 to begin with.

I also especially watched out for Daniel talking about Sha're. He said at first that he'd only just lost his wife, then checked and revised that to he'd lost her a long time ago. Actually, that's an important awakening for Daniel: he actually lost Sha're when the Goa'uld took her, not when her body died.

The ep is growing on me, but Kiera's hair really really gets on my nerves so much that I don't think it will ever be one of my favourites.
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

It's not uncommon for people who are bereaved with a lot of notice to 'move on' more quickly than those who lose their partner suddenly. My next door neighbour, my uncle, Paul McCartney and Nigella Lawson, each totally devoted to their partners for many many years, all remarried or got seriously reattatched within a year of losing their partners to cancer. It doesn't speak to me of lack of respect or love for the deceased, but of them having done their grieving and mourning before the death, and with the support of their partner. It might well be an easier way to mourn, and leave the survivor more ready to heal.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                          I've just finished watching this. The children are explained away by the pesticide: they simply had not had children for around 20 years.

The old people all turned young again - although thinking about it, the younger ones should have gone back further to "childhood" but then, the wee chappie mentioned that he and his wife had been married for 43 years, so maybe everyone was over 60 to begin with.
                          Now I need to go back and watch for that pesticide reference.
                          If there hadn't been any children for a long time, and everyone was "older," I would have thought they would have mentioned that the human race was becoming extinct on their planet. In the journals or notes or somewhere, it seems someone would have written this down. But I guess that's the only explanation. And the pictures of children would have all had to been from a much earlier time, and unless the culture had'nt changed much in the last 40 or 50 years, it seems they would notice all the childrens pictures were from an earlier time. Not a particularily bright people. Unless, of course I'm still missing something.
                          sigpic
                          ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                            Her relationship with daniel was interesting... just after his wife died too.
                            yeah I noticed it too that there was some chemestry in the air but I think it was a bit too soon and that the fans of Daniel Jacksob would be very angry with this
                            Just a thought he
                            Lord Zedd

Comment

(*looks around*)

Whoa, I didn't even notice this place. You mods are really covering all the bases here, aren't you? I'll just re-post this here then:

My problem with this episode is that they show Daniel in a flirty relationship with some other chick directly after the episode in which his wife gets blasted to death.

I mean, I know she's "been gone a long time" but it just felt a little strange to see him not only get flirty with her, but then go so far as to kiss her too.

I'm happy that they at least did mention that he was still getting over what had happened, but I just think it was a bit too soon to do anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
                                I'm happy that they at least did mention that he was still getting over what had happened, but I just think it was a bit too soon to do anything like that.
                                I thought this at first, but there are several ways in which Daniel's loss is atypical. Certainly, it's not accurate to say that he's 'just lost' Sha're.

Sha're has effectively been gone for almost three years; even if he never quite gave up hope, he has been alone for that time. In addition, a lot of the initial pain and shock of the loss was cushioned by the events of Forever in a Day; he's already lost her, got her back and said goodbye several times over by the time she actually dies.

And he's still better than Teal'c the romantic goldfish.
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X