Past and Present (311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Fischer
    I think perhaps the people of the planet are going to keep a pretty close eye on her. I rather like the theory I've heard elsewhere on the board that she's either an Aschen, or related to an Aschen.
    than why and how did she got trapped in the prison.She is the destryer of world but the Ashen didn't know a lot of Stargate adresses so if she was Ashen than she couldn't go to the other planets except the very few they knew
    Lord Zedd

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. They finished up the Laneya part of their series and gave us some good entertainment. I knew from the start that that guy who plays in Monk and that woman who was with him were married. The way they attacked each other with insults like Home Improvement, it was pretty funny.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Oh, the Plot Detector!! :-) lmao

I'd like to propose another term: The Missing Line

I believe there's at least one missing line in every episode of every sci-fi show out there.

The missing lines for "Past and Present" would be:

Missing Line 1

-Right after Linea's gated to her new home world-

Hammond: Umm guys, don't you think that now we know a chemical that rejuvenates people and a chemical that safely reverses the side effect of amnesia, we could, like, use it on people and get younger and stuff?

Missing Line 2

Sam: Well I don't know, general, don't you think that would be to obvious an idea? Same as that - if Linea lost her memory and became Kira and the moment she realized there was an antidote that could bring her memory back she found a way to get it and secretly used it, she'll probably do the same thing again.

PS: Madeleine, thank you for sharing that thing about mourning.

Comment

I like Daniel episodes I do. Except this one.

* His childish little flirty with Kira - annoying
          * That this happened just after FIAD - absurd (I mean, he hasn't really had much interaction with women since and he puts most of this down to Sha're. He just buried her - would this not be the hardest time?
          * Ok, so they wiped her memory so she wouldn't remember she was Linea. Were they going to stop her from innately sensing that she was a doctor or scientist like last time. Even whenshe was Kira she was v. stubborn and I find it hard to believe those wimpy ass people would be able to stop her!
          * what happened to the children. The elders were now middle aged, and there was no sign of their kids. So Linea/Kira had effectievly forced a mass child murder on this population and they willingly tok her in as one of their own. How realistic.

I know I've slandered this episode pretty heavily, but I will admit that it had some good points:

- a good range of human emotions shown
          - a conclusion to the Linea story (unlike the Aschen)
          - Janet - I found her funny and her attitude reminded me of that which she felt towards Anise in 'Upgrades'

Comment

I never saw it as a terribly bad thing that he was flirting with Kira so soon after his wife's death. I know so many people who've lost their spouses through long illnesses and hooked up with someone else within a year and sometimes even a few weeks. Paul McCartney and Nigella Lawson were both re-married within a year of being widowed. And in every single case, the original marriage had been a loving and faithful one of many years.

I think when the death comes after months or years of illness things are different from if it's sudden and unexpected. It's as if all the grieving gets done before the death. Obviously it's not the same for everyone, I'm just saying that it's not at all uncommon to be able to close that chapter of your life quite rapidly.

Daniel lost Sha're in just the same way; at the end of a long period during which he had hoped she would be recovered but pretty much knew she might be lost for ever. He got to speak with her twice during her posession, and that must have helped. And he was surely happier with the outcome than he had feared he might be - the worst case scenario would have been that she spent thousands of years as a host, and he'd saved her from that.

I don't think people *shouldn't* have a problem with PP for this reason, but this is why *I* don't.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              I never saw it as a terribly bad thing that he was flirting with Kira so soon after his wife's death. I know so many people who've lost their spouses through long illnesses and hooked up with someone else within a year and sometimes even a few weeks. Paul McCartney and Nigella Lawson were both re-married within a year of being widowed. And in every single case, the original marriage had been a loving and faithful one of many years.

I think when the death comes after months or years of illness things are different from if it's sudden and unexpected. It's as if all the grieving gets done before the death. Obviously it's not the same for everyone, I'm just saying that it's not at all uncommon to be able to close that chapter of your life quite rapidly.

Daniel lost Sha're in just the same way; at the end of a long period during which he had hoped she would be recovered but pretty much knew she might be lost for ever. He got to speak with her twice during her posession, and that must have helped. And he was surely happier with the outcome than he had feared he might be - the worst case scenario would have been that she spent thousands of years as a host, and he'd saved her from that.

I don't think people *shouldn't* have a problem with PP for this reason, but this is why *I* don't.
              I don't have a problem with him getting over Sha're in this way and flirting with someone else is fine, but in the perspective of the other 5 seasons, he has often implied that the memory of Sha're has hindered him from any other romantic opportunities (and he has had a few!) so I found it odd that they put one in so quick, seemingly just to serve the story.

Comment

Originally posted by JackDaniels
                I don't have a problem with him getting over Sha're in this way and flirting with someone else is fine, but in the perspective of the other 5 seasons, he has often implied that the memory of Sha're has hindered him from any other romantic opportunities (and he has had a few!) so I found it odd that they put one in so quick, seemingly just to serve the story.
                As he says in the thing, he lost her a long time ago; Sha're dying was almost liberating for him.

That or he was just on the rebound.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

At first I thought it was kinda weird for Daniel to have a relationship so soon after Sha're died, but after reading the other posts here, I don't really have such a problem with it. But really, how hard would it have been to stick this ep in later in the season?
                  YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W

Hmm. Never thought of that. I guess my issue was that I wish they'd used Daniels attraction to Kira to explore those feelings about Sha're, instead it seemed like a plot point to move the story along. Even it had been for some time for Daniel, for us viewers it had been a week and I found myself thinking "surely the writers coulda been a bit more attentive to that." (Or maybe I'm just selfish. Entirely possible. )

The nature vs. nurture conversation is interesting. I think it has to be some of both. Kira seems so sweet, but when she remembers Linnea's past she says that there's a part of her that would pratically enjoy watching people die. That to me says *evil* not just a product of the environment.

Anyways, I still liked it. At least they tied up a loose end big enough to be called "The Destroyer of Worlds" instead of letting it fall down the Plot Black Hole.
                    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                    Daniel: Oh! You see?
                    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

yea- kinda inapropriate
                      YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Kate Hewlett's blog

Comment

crap.

ignore me.

i'm operating on 3.5 hrs. sleep

*falls forward and forehead hits the keyboard*
                        YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Kate Hewlett's blog

Comment

Originally posted by kelmah
                          crap.

ignore me.

i'm operating on 3.5 hrs. sleep

*falls forward and forehead hits the keyboard*
                          That's Ok. We've all had days (or nights) operating on low sleep. We forgive you.
                          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

*hands kelmah a pillow*
                            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                            Daniel: Oh! You see?
                            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                              *hands kelmah a pillow*
                              I hear that the color of a pillow is very important

Comment

I too disliked the wig tremendously. It just seemed so obviously a wig.

The pesticide seems like a great idea for an anti-aging drug, seeing as the amnesiac side effect can be reversed. I'm sure the goa'uld would love to get their hands on it...

I foung the romance between Daniel and Keira both arousing and annoying. Mentally, I thought it was a bit cheesy and out of place, but in my gut I recognized their mutual attraction and found the scene quite hot. My assumption, from the scene, was that they slept together.

Comment

Working...
                                X