Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient Teleporters (spoilers for Before I sleep)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Teleporters (spoilers for Before I sleep)

In before I sleep, when Sheppard and Weir were in the PJ there was a red flash of light and they were suddenly in space. Was this their teleportation, or did they blast through the roof above jumper bay? If it was teleportation, is it like the asgard (point to point with no needed rings or stuff?)

Or did I just miss something importatnt? Or misinterpret something?

They traveled through time, it could have been automated for the ship to jump to orbit, or it could have just been a conincidence that they managed to end up there, they could have entered that previous time at the same point in space as the one they had occupied in the future. The planet had just moved, possibly furthur in its' orbit. It is likley they would have ended up back in time rougly the same time of year seeing as the machines were only meant for long time jumps, and and it may try to get you as close as possible to the same time of year, so you don't have to specify the day, the month, the hour, the minute, the second, the millisecond, the nanosecond, etc.

As well the device could comnpensate for stellar drift like the stargate does, so you don't accidentaly end up light years away from the planet to which you were trying to go. This is possible if you jumped far enough backwards or forwards in time. I like time.

Owen Macri

Comment

technically they would have had to be exceedlingly lucky to end up anywhere near atlantis, what with 10000 years of planetary shift.

Comment

I considered that, that is why I suggested that the time ship has stellar drift compensation capabilites, like the Stargates, only they would move the puddle jumper near to a location relative to its' last and compensating it for stellar drift, as if it was on that planet ten thousand years ago. however the time of year that the puddle jumper went to was a little off, and the planet had moved farther in its' orbit. The time travel device can't be expected to travel to within the nanosecond of your request. I also seuggested in my last post that perhaps the puddle jumper will take you to relativley the same time of year and day, so you don't have to program that. It is all in my last post, you probably just missed it, but that is allright.

Owen Macri

Comment

It could be possible that if Sheppard was thinking about getting out and away from Atlantis when the time machine activated, the puddle jumper calculated a time that it would appear in orbit around the planet instead of still in Altlantis.
          Elando na coinya!

Comment

Yes, it could also be a failsafe, because, with a margin of error, you don't want to attempt appearing in a small room like the jumper bay, because you could always appear inside walls.

Owen Macri

Comment

I forgot that they ended up in the battle straight away. I though they did the time tragvel after lol

Comment

No, I believe they jumped back in time while in the puddle jumper bay, then after traveling back in time they were confronted immediatly by the wriath.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yea, I understand now, I just thought that it was after they were in space that they did the time travel (when I started the thread)

Comment

Originally posted by SmartEagle
                    It could be possible that if Sheppard was thinking about getting out and away from Atlantis when the time machine activated, the puddle jumper calculated a time that it would appear in orbit around the planet instead of still in Altlantis.
                    No i dont think when Sg-1 used the TPJ (Time Puddle Jumper) it activated and pulsed and you could see it around the ship and being the fact that the Sg-1 TPJ was built after the one in Before i Sleep (After the Ancients Returned to Earth) so it is unlikey IMO that the TPJ could transport you somewhere else at a different eg Place A 2005 AD to Place B 5000BC, all it does is go back in time.

I agree with Owen about how the planet that Altlantis was on could have been in a different orbit durring the war and Sheppard + co appeared in the same place just some years ago, because if you remeber in Moebius when they went back they noted that Earth was in a different orbit 5000 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Thor~
                      Yea, I understand now, I just thought that it was after they were in space that they did the time travel (when I started the thread)
                      Ok, that is good, that we all understand now.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yay! You agree with me! But seriously, yes, that does seem a likley explination. Nice sig by the way.

Yes, thank you for the 8 years, BUT PLEASE COME BACK!!!! lol

Owen Macri

Comment

There would have to be some sort of anti-collision system built in to the time travel drive, otherwise the potential for appearing inside another solid object would be catastrophic. How would it work though?
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes you are right, well, you would need inter-time sensors, so you could scan an area before you traveled to it.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              They traveled through time, it could have been automated for the ship to jump to orbit, or it could have just been a conincidence that they managed to end up there, they could have entered that previous time at the same point in space as the one they had occupied in the future. The planet had just moved, possibly furthur in its' orbit. It is likley they would have ended up back in time rougly the same time of year seeing as the machines were only meant for long time jumps, and and it may try to get you as close as possible to the same time of year, so you don't have to specify the day, the month, the hour, the minute, the second, the millisecond, the nanosecond, etc.
                              Well I think it is safe to say that the PJ's went to orbit for one reason, there was most likely a PJ already in the same space that the Time Traveling PJ was. Atlantians weren't dumb when it came to creating that, I think they knew how to program the computer to jump where there isn't a object.

Comment

Working...
                              X