This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetic Population

Does anyone here know how many humans are necessary for an inbreeding-free, stable genetic population?
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

From what i can remember, I think it's somewhere around 100. It's been brought up before in a lot of space-colonizing scifi shows, including ST:TNG, and I think even in a James Bond movie. I think the more the better, but with 100 (probably 96) by the time you are mating with relatives, they are so far away on the family tree that the genetic pool doesn't start getting shallow.
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Comment

I remember reading that thirty of each sex was the bare minimum. I can't remember if there were any stipulations such as needing the sixty to be from diverse ethnic groups or needing them all to be above-average healthwise.

Madeleine

Comment

Well, after a while the ethnic groups would sort of blend out, wouldn't they? And you'd get a sort of homogenized skin tone... with shadings to either end of the scale, of course. But that would probably be a big "eventually" and assuming that folks didn't do something stupid like try and stick ONLY to their ethnic group...

Comment

I heard 500 would be good for a diverse population
          Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Ok thanks guys!
            [email protected]

One nation under dog
            A face in the crowd
            Unsung, against the mold
            Without a doubt
            Singled out
            The only way I know

Comment

It would help for them to be of different ethnic groups, although not so much because of skn colour. There are genetic characteristics common to some parts of the world and not to others; blood types, build and resistance to certain diseases for instance. It would be good to have a variety of those localised traits within the group in case any turn out to have survival benefits for the population in their (presumably) new habitat.

Madeleine

Comment

I think you need about 500 for a stable population and they have to be of
                the same blood type.
                Teal'C: Bla Bla Bla... Said the whole transcript of the
                where all of the Stargates were.

O'Neill: Did you say something??

Comment

The same blood type? That's a little strict, don't you think?

If you were starting a colony or something, you would probably have to have a wide diversity of people.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I should think they'd need to be of DIFFERENT blood types. What if someone needed a transfusion or something?? You can't give an A-neg person B-pos blood. People of different blood types marry and have kids all the time. It's good for genetic diversity and all. Having all of one blood type would, I think, weaken the race. And it's taking genetic purity just a little TOO far.

Comment

I was just repeating what I have heard somewhere. Know that I think about it, a colony would have to be made up of diffrent blood types.
                      Teal'C: Bla Bla Bla... Said the whole transcript of the
                      where all of the Stargates were.

O'Neill: Did you say something??

Comment

a good idea would be to bring a larger number of O blood type because they can give transfusions to ANYONE (with iron based human blood.
                        [email protected]

One nation under dog
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                          a good idea would be to bring a larger number of O blood type because they can give transfusions to ANYONE (with iron based human blood.
                          O-negative, yes. They're universal donors. O-positive is another story. I think...

I'm o-neg, myself, but I don't weigh enough to donate blood. Stupid rules.

Comment

I'd say gain a little weight, but then, being small and fiesty suits you! I'm A negative and the hubster if something positive. The only problem is with the Rh factor (neg/pos). When you have children and the mother is negative, if the baby is postive the mother builds up antibodies to the child. No problem with the first, but if a second is born who is also negative, it can lead to huge problems (up to and including a complete tranfusion for the infant)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5aret
                              I think you need about 500 for a stable population and they have to be of
                              the same blood type.
                              That was on sliders and that was only because the dude needed the strict blood sampels for his dissorder.
                              Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Working...
                              X