This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Spoilers ruin the fun?

I obviously know it comes down to a personal preference but is too much spoilers a bad thing? Maybe people who have been reading spoilers of Stargate longer than me know their experiences and would like to tell. But I've only been reading them for the back half of s8 of SG-1 and s1 of SGA and even then I wasn't thinking about how much they were affecting my enjoyment of the show. I think it's kind of like reading a book first and then watching the movie for it, usually you don't like the movie as much as you would have if you had done it the other way around. Even if spoilers did hurt my enjoyment of the show, I don't know if I could resist that itch to know more. Anyway, this isn't the best place to hang around if you don't like to read spoilers.
    I hope this is important enough for someone to discuss.
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

I'm a recovering spoiler addict. Last season I spoiled myself silly....purely out of a combination of boredom and impatience. At the time I didn't think it affected my enjoyment of the shows.

However this time round, I've went out of my my to remain spoiler-free. The new series of Doctor Who has helped immensely....I've not been bored at all whilst waiting for the new seasons. I've spent the last few months on Gateworld hanging out in the OT threads and have had a great time. Yes a couple of times I've been semi-spoiled but have by the by managed to avoid spoilers.

I sat down tonight and watched all three premiers back to back and was left gobsmacked. I'm so glad I managed to resist temptation.

IMO having spoiled myself and avoided spoilers I'd have to say that in my experience avoiding spoilers works best for me.

Comment

Only read spoilers if you have to.

Comment

If used properly, spoilers are completely harmless.

The idea behind the spoilers here at GateWorld is to give people a chance to ignore them. The spoiler tags make people physically highlight text with their mouse. Spoiler space forces people to scroll down the page to see the information (though spoiler space is NOT as effective as the spoiler tags). Adding a Spoiler warning in a thread title allows people to ignore the thread. By allowing people to make a conscience decision to view spoiler information here at Gateworld, spoilers don't ruin anything.

In general, in my opinion, i think spoilers are fine. I have a tendency to forget most spoilers i read after about 24-hours. So even if i do read every Atlantis season 2 spoiler here at Gateworld, i forget most of what i read a day later anyway. But like i said, if used properly, spoilers are just fine.

Others may disagree with me, and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, whether or not they agree with mine or not.

Comment

I don't want to...but sometimes I just can't control myself!

Comment

I think spoilers are fine - for me, reading about something of a simple detail isn't really the same as watching an episode full on. XD
            Teal'c: Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will, in fact, calm up.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
              In general, in my opinion, i think spoilers are fine. I have a tendency to forget most spoilers i read after about 24-hours. So even if i do read every Atlantis season 2 spoiler here at Gateworld, i forget most of what i read a day later anyway.
              I'm so with you there...I've got the memory of a goldfish and can quite easily forget the spoilers that I come across.

Spoliers have certainly got a place, like I said in my previous post, sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them. As long as people play by the rules and use spoiler warnings the're alright by me. What really pee's me off is people who don't use spoiler warnings.

Comment

I used to read spoilers alot in previous seasons, but I've hardly read any this season. No idea why. Guess I just want the episodes to bring surprises for me

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                  I'm a recovering spoiler addict. I'm so glad I managed to resist temptation.
                  Ahh! a success story! LOL. It sounds like a drug when you talk about it. I feel your pain. Anyways, what TECHNOWRAITH said,.... I agree, just to add to it, it would be really pathetic if anyone got into an argument on this thread,.. maybe even funny.
                  1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                    What really pee's me off is people who don't use spoiler warnings.
                    Definitely agree with you there. Nothing is more distasteful then misused spoilers. Though mostly unintentional, there are instances where posters have ignored the spoiler etiquette of the Gateworld forums. And that can cause some friction around here. If you think the spoiler etiquette here at GateWorld is being abused in some way, report the offending post to the Mods.

Comment

Well, spoilers don't give away the entire plot.

Unless it's a synopsis of the episode

I find spoilers to get you thinking, 'Hmm... that's the plot. How do they get out of this one?'

If they're good spoilers they just... make you want to see the episode more.

I used to just read spoilers like crazy. I read alot of the SG-1 spoilers because I didn't really care too much about them. I'm not too sure about the new direction yet.

As for Atlantis... I've been trying to go spoiler free with Atlantis. Partly because I wanna see if I can do it, but mostly because I don't want to know. I want every plot to be a surprise.

Thanks to my sister... I've been spoiled a bit. It makes me sad to think that I lasted so long with no spoilers and then--BAM! Spoilers. I'm not letting her tell me anything. Even though she tries

But overall, I don't think that spoilers really ruin it. It makes you more excited but the spoilers just give you a general veiw of the plot of the episode.

Alot happens in one 42 minute episode. Spoilers aren't going to give it all away.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                        I find spoilers to get you thinking, 'Hmm... that's the plot. How do they get out of this one?'
                        Yeah, I agree, that's the main reason I like them so much.
                        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
                          Yeah, I agree, that's the main reason I like them so much.
                          Makes you freak out and act like a fan-girl... Or... fan-boy or... whatever

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

For me, spoilers enhance the experience.

Comment

Gateworld actually had an article about spoilers a while back. Here's a link to its discussion thread:

Let's Stop Spoiling Stargate

There's a link to the article within the thread, too.

For me, it depends on the show. There are some where I know practically everything before it happens and others where everything is a complete surprise. And sometimes I'll spoil myself on certain eps, but not others. Depends on whim and curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                              X