Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FORD AND THE JUMPER – A CLARIFICATION, by Martin Gero (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In that kind of situation, I'd have a snog with Shep, too. Uhh...of course it wouldn't mean anything...hehe...
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinGero
      p.s. sometimes a hug is just a hug. Sheppard put his life on the line to save Weir and the entire city…heck, I’D give him a hug the next time I saw him too.
      Well, there seemed to be more than the "hug" going on later in the episode, and no one "else" gave Shep a hug.

Just hoping fans aren't going to be jerked around ala Sam/Jack.

But thanks for the clarification on Ford.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

You are a Stargate Writer? Are you one of the people that actually make up the stories of the episodes?

Comment

Hey guys, I thought I’d just take a second and clarify something that’s troubled a few of you.

The Jumpers, while in near and inside Atlantis, are pretty much on autopilot when it comes to landing and taking off. Ford does not have the ATA Gene, but ANYONE can operate and activate the Jumper’s DHD. He entered an address and just went along for the ride. Once he gets to where he’s going, he would have to fly the Jumper towards the gate for the autopilot to engage…so because he doesn’t have the gene, he’ll just dump the Jumper and move on.

Out of curiosity, how do fans who don't read these boards figure this out as I know many who don't bother with lists/boards (don't want the aggravation or spoilers) and sit there seeing Ford flying a jumper, then thinking back to "Defiant One," etc., and, well, it seems like a big plot hole because that sort of stuff above was never indicated in the series

Comment

Originally posted by Hotshot
            You are a Stargate Writer? Are you one of the people that actually make up the stories of the episodes?
            Isn't that generally what a Stargate writer does? Writes the stories of the episodes?

Try looking up ep info on Gateworld. Or running Martin's name through IMDB. Or just take for granted that a Stargate writer means a writer who works on Stargate.

Welcome to the board, Hotshot.

ETA: there's also the Ask Martin Gero thread, which is now defunct seeing as Martin's far too busy to play with us mere mortals. You'd think he had a job and a life or something.

Yes, Martin, I know ya would if ya could and yes, I know that just because you stopped before you got to my questions doesn't mean that you're skeered of me.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 17 July 2005, 07:57 PM.

Comment

thanks martin! that does clear up a lot!

hopefully put some debate to rest!
              come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                But if the enzyme is just like a steroid, how come the left side of Ford's face is all Wraith-y? Or is that just a coincidence?
                I'd say it's to show that Ford has some Wraith characteristics - he's stronger, has higher endurance, etc, due to something that a Wraith put in him. Don't ask me how that makes sense without him having any Wraith DNA.

Comment

haha man that finally cleared that question.. thought it was some plot hole.. but its all good now then

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                    Out of curiosity, how do fans who don't read these boards figure this out as I know many who don't bother with lists/boards (don't want the aggravation or spoilers) and sit there seeing Ford flying a jumper, then thinking back to "Defiant One," etc., and, well, it seems like a big plot hole because that sort of stuff above was never indicated in the series
                    Well, not to toot my own horn, but I'd postulated that there was an autopilot within the city in the episode thread, here and here. So it's not like it was impossible to figure out, especially since he wasn't sitting in the pilot's seat.
                    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                    Last update: 14 April 2006
                    Melyanna's Multimedia
                    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

I thought everyone knew there was an autopilot. I got that with the 38 mins episode. I just assumed there was an autopilot after that episdoe.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
                        I thought everyone knew there was an autopilot. I got that with the 38 mins episode. I just assumed there was an autopilot after that episdoe.
                        Even an autopilot needs to be activated. It seems that quite a few people didn't remember or assume anything from that bit in 38 Minutes- enough to cause a disturbance in the Force- I mean, a grumble on the ep thread and thus bring Martin out of hiding. Temporarily, anyway. *wistful sigh*

What this means is that anyone can activate the autopilot, whether they have the gene or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          What this means is that anyone can activate the autopilot, whether they have the gene or not.
                          Unless they're a Wraith, in which case they get locked out of all systems.

It's nice to establish something canon, eh?

Comment

Ok...still a little confused.

In Moebius 1, Sam made it pretty clear that since Ra didn't have the Ancient gene, he couldn't so much as turn the puddle jumper on.

So then how would Ford be able to even turn the PJ on so that the autopilot could kick in since he also does not possess the Ancient gene?

ON EDIT: UNLESS what you're saying is that while in and around Atlantis ONLY, that the act of activating the Stargate actually activates the autopilot once a wormhole is established...in which case I now understand.

Am I close?

Last edited by Uber; 17 July 2005, 08:53 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Well, it was nice...

Comment

Secondly, the Wraith enzyme is kinda like a steroid, it strengthens Ford without changing him genetically into a Wraith (we’ll deal with stories about that this year too…don’t you worry) therefore, the Jumper wouldn’t lock him out because he still has no Wraith DNA.
                                So, I'm assuming that if this enzyme does not alter the genome of a carrier then its effects cannot be permanent. Enzymes and other proteins (normal human ones anyway) are broken down after a certain time and one would assume Ford's "superpowers" would stop working when all of the wraith enzyme was gone from his system. Ford was able to extend the lifespan of his powers by taking the rest of the enzyme from Carson and I imagine he's going to try and get more somehow. Along those lines, I do remember a rumor where
                                Spoiler:
                                the wraith enzyme is treated as an addictive drug of sorts for offworld people in a later ep, which sounds interesting.

Thanks for all those clarifications Martin, we missed you!

Comment

Working...
                                X