Scattered (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scattered (201)

As Commander Adama fights for his life, Colonel Tigh takes command of Galactica.

Discuss.

Last edited by Scoobing; 17 July 2005, 04:37 AM.

Besides 'it was frakken awesome'?

Comment

hmmm, where to start!?!?

First off, I'm a bit bummed about the change in opening credits I know a lot of you prefer the UK version, and I really like the song, but I was a big fan of the drum beat bit at the end (altho I usually averted my eyes during the wee spoilerish clips). I would kinda like to see the percussion side of things make a comeback

And to think I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations! Wonderful! Loved all of it - the only thing that bugged me was that we didn't get to see ENOUGH of each of the different threads of the story I felt like poor Starbuck didn't get much, but given the huge number of strands to deal with, it's understandable. I would have LOVED to see a 2 hour season opener *drools* Listened to part of Ron Moore's podcast, and I can only say, I'm glad they didn't go with their initial plan - which was to not revisit Adama until ep 2 or 3!

I can't wait to see what happens to the Sharon's
      Spoiler:
      I SO didn't see Caprica-Sharon stealing the cylon ship! NOW what are they supposed to do! AND how on earth (or should I say Kobol ) are they all gonna end up in the same place at the end? And I loved how poor Galactica-Sharon had no idea what she'd done... woulda loved to see a little better her realisation that she'd shot Adama, I felt like that was skipped over a bit (or is that just me? perhaps I should rewatch just in case I missed something ). So much happening, can't wait till next week.

This show has definitely jumped to the top of my "most anticipated" shows list!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
        the only thing that bugged me was that we didn't get to see ENOUGH of each of the different threads of the story
        I agree, hehe, I want longer eps.
        I think this is one of the things that make this show so good. TPTB have placed characters that started off all together, so we have backstory and characterisation, and spread them very far apart.

This makes for episodes with so much going on in the time given. It really feels like each episode is full to the brim!

Comment

I liked it...

With Tigh taking over command, temporarily at least, I hope they jumpstart his evil wife storyline...either in conjunction with Zarek or something independant...either way, i hope they make a quick, but interestingly brutal arc that ends with her death...preferably out an air lock...

She really bothers me....which is, i suppose, a sign of good writing and acting.

If the first ep is the benchmark for the season, it's gonna be a stellar season.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
            With Tigh taking over command, temporarily at least, I hope they jumpstart his evil wife storyline...either in conjunction with Zarek or something independant...either way, i hope they make a quick, but interestingly brutal arc that ends with her death...preferably out an air lock...
            LOL! I kind of like her character in that she is so power-hungry. She’s a total b****, so she must not be a Cylon. It’s too obvious. But her ultimate fate out an air lock would be preferable, but I’m afraid she’ll try to pull Tigh under with her with whatever she has in mind.

As to the episode, I’ll just repost my thoughts with some additions.

Frak that was good. Edge of my seat the whole time.

Very fast paced episode. They have really got the multiple storylines going now. I wish these shows were an hour and 30 minutes so they can fit all the stuff they want to write into them cause this one was crammed but done very well.

Good stuff with Tigh. These upcoming eps with him in command are going to be an interesting insight into his character. Like RDM said, he'll have no problem handling the Cylon boarding party, but the political stuff he's not so good at.

Poor Crashdown. I like him, yet he makes for a terrible leader when under pressure. So does anyone else think those were not Cylons shooting at Tyrol and Cally and that poor other redshirt? Tactics seemed off to be Cylon toasters. I’m thinking other humans, but after listening to RDM’s podcast they seem to be Cylons. *shrug*

Umm, the baby is Six and Baltar’s…….that’s going to be interesting. I was so sure that was Boomer and Helo’s. But then again who knows.

With Baltar having all that access to the blood samples of every person in the fleet, it brings up an interesting point that EJO made in the Sci-Fi Insider that
            Spoiler:
            Cylons are manipulating human DNA and could eventually make Cylon clones of normal humans, if that's not what they haven't already been doing. I always assumed that Boomer never really ever existed as a real human, but that raises the question that what if at one point she was a real human even if only as a child, then she was replaced. With Baltar having acces to all that blood and Six manipulating him, we could very well end up with an Adama Cylon model in the future. Some how that blood info gets passed off to another Cylon who then gets it to their Cylon buddies on a BaseStar and bam they grow an Adama. I think that might would be an interesting angle to play up at some point.

LOL! Starbuck’s comment when Boomer took off with her raider. “B**** took my ride.”

Yeah, I was bummed about the credits but thankfully they were still actually able to hold on to even having the dang thing. I’m sure Sci-Fi had a hand in making them shorter even though RDM said on his podcast that having the preview shots was already being debated and he was for keeping them. I still like the U.S. version music better and don’t agree with RDM that the UK version is more fitting, but hey at least we still have some nice visuals to go along with the music (which I do like but is still not the same intensity as what we had) unlike the travesty that has befallen Stargate’s.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

My only real question was: how does Tyrol know so much about combat? I can understand the high ground and supplies bits, but he seems to be pretty handy with a rifle, too, despite the fact he's a naval officer (well, noncom) who controls a flight deck. I do like the conflict between him and Crashdown though... I can totally understand the poor pilot's distress.

Also, the prayer bit with Roslin was a bit sudden/jarring.

Loved the look on Gaeta's face after Tigh's comment about Baltar.

And, yeah, "***** stole my ride."
              aka Nur-ab-sal

"It's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of survival." -- William Adama

Comment

Undeniably it was an amazing episode, but I had expected better after such a strong season finale.
                I'm not a terribly huge Tigh fan and felt there was way too much focus on him. :/
                Ses
                James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Ah - here's the thread.

I LOVED the S2 opener. My favorite (by far) of the Friday night premieres. I've heard some fans complain that they really didn't wrap up any of the cliffhangers from the S1 finale but I love multi-episode story arcs and if they'd wrapped all those up in one episode I would have been disappointed.

Just was on the edge of my seat. I loved all the angst of Tigh being in charge - man does he have "issues" - and when they did the FTL and the Galactica ended up all alone. My heart just dropped. Of course I'm immediately thinking Gaeta may be a sleeper Cylon and I'm still not sure he isn't. I think someone on that bridge is.

Locking poor Lee Adama up while he's screaming about his father. And the "interrogation" of Boomer by Tigh. Man this show doesn't pull any punches. I think we're seeing a new Lee emerge. And I like it.

I also love all the possibilities with Roslin being locked up, Adama shot and Tigh in charge. This is going to be really complicated and frakked up.

And the scenes on Kobol. Loved it. I wasn't sure if those were Cylons shooting at the good guys or not - you're right LS, it seemed a little off. But if that's what the podcast says then I guess Ron Moore knows. I really liked the gritty depiction of this unit reacting to the stress of seeing their teammates die and other officers being not quite up to the task. No perfect makeup with a few black streaks on the cheekbones on this show. And I *heart* Tyrol. and Callie.

I STILL think Six is referring to Helo/CapricaBoomer's child in her little mindgame with Baltar. I can't see HOW it's their child unless Baltar is about to give birth. I fully expect CapricaBoomer to end up on the Galactica and that's where Baltar comes in with the child.

Unfortunately I was spoiled by the Cylon invasion of the Galactica so I knew what that weird ship crashing into the Galactica meant. Still, it freaks me out to see those toasters with the red flashing eyes. I don't know why they scare me so much.

Maybe the only disappointment was not enough Starbuck/Helo/Boomer on Caprica. I'm also a little confused why Helo is so accepting of CapricaBoomer now - even if she's carrying his child.

I also am not sure how all the Cylon's are linked. CapricaBoomer mentioned that CapricaSix's consciousness was being downloaded and soon everyone would know where they are. So it goes back to some sort of central processing system? How can that link be in place and the Cylons don't appear to be linked at all in other ways.

The whole DNA thing is interesting. I always assumed - with the talk of 12 models - that the Cylons sort of created synthetic human Cylons from scratch. But if they can gather human DNA and come up with new models. In effect, replace ANYONE, that adds an interesting wrinkle to everything. Clearly all the "Boomers" have the same memories of knowing Starbuck, etc. That's freaky.

Can't wait to see how all this plays out over the next few weeks.

Oh, I'm also bummed about the new opening. At least it's not mutilated like SG-1 and Atlantis but I still miss the old U.S. theme. I liked the woodwinds and the beat of the drums.
                  Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Someone on that bridge will turn out to be a Cylon. You just know they will. The only one I’m sure of is Adama. Now if he turns out to be one then like he said in another episode, “We are all screwed.” At the moment, I'm entertaining the idea that Roslin is a possible Cylon.
                    Originally posted by keshou
                    I STILL think Six is referring to Helo/CapricaBoomer's child in her little mindgame with Baltar. I can't see HOW it's their child unless Baltar is about to give birth. I fully expect CapricaBoomer to end up on the Galactica and that's where Baltar comes in with the child.
                    LOL! I hope so (about it being Boomer’s, not Baltar’s ), but she’s so freakin’ cryptic that I’m not sure whether to take what she says at face value or attach a different meaning to it.
                    Originally posted by keshou
                    Maybe the only disappointment was not enough Starbuck/Helo/Boomer on Caprica. I'm also a little confused why Helo is so accepting of CapricaBoomer now - even if she's carrying his child.
                    Maybe Helo is a Cylon. Nah, he’s the only one we know for sure isn't since they wanted his DNA.

I think they’ve got some good stuff for Starbuck in the future and that’s why they didn’t spend any more time in this ep than they did on her and Helo. I couldn’t resist looking at pics from future episodes. *slap* I need to stop doing that.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the season opener. Not only did it not collapse under the colossal weight of my expectation all summer long, it left me clamoring for the next episode the same way it had when KLG II's credits rolled 3 months ago (but, then, probably this is because I am spoiler-free).

Tigh is not one of my favorite characters, so I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much I liked this somewhat Tigh-centric episode. Though the flash-back scenes did not make aesthetic-appealing imageries , they gave us glimpses into what makes Tigh tick -- he is essentially a follower who needs guidance of another strong personality. This is why he is a good second-in-command to Adama and, simultaneously, a pliant husband to Ellen -- guess this answered my "what did he see in her?" question from before . In any case, his utterance "I don't like to command" was a foregone conclusion. It will be interesting to see how Tigh does command from here on out. Would all that power go to his head, especially at a time when the civillian government is in shambles?

And speaking of the civillian government, I am wondering if its head will continue to be as "spiritual" when she is away from the influence of her religious advisor. I didn't like Roslin sent Kara on an essentially suicide mission the purpose of which only a very selected few believed in; and, although Adama's disposing of her was wrong, I don't think he acted without ample provocation. I am quite looking forward to seeing how the conflict between military and civillian government will be resolved (or if it's going to be resolved) and, especially, how Lee would continue to mature and assert his independence through the challenges. He said to Roslin that he didn't do "it" for her. Let's see how he could retain that idealism.

Like keshou, I am also a littel confused by Helo's sudden change of heart when it comes to "Sharon" -- would the fact that she is carrying his child automatically make her trustworthy? I laughed out loud at Kara's "men are so stupid." She said with such frustration and conviction that it was an instant favorite; I like it even better than the "biotch stole my ride" quote. You go, girl!

Interestingly enough, after the tension-filled hour the plot didn't really advance that much. Galactica is still pretty much left with the same mess that started the season, except now there is a cylon bording party to contend with. Besides that, there are (at least) two new questions that intrigue:
                      (1) Was cylon virus successful in penetrating all 4 of Gaeta's firewalls?
                      (2) Is there any significance to Door #3 (in the flash back)?
                      I wish I could listen to RDM's podcast, but I hear it's spoiler-ridden.
                      Last edited by Liebestraume; 17 July 2005, 02:24 PM. Reason: Who is "Ty"?
                      In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I rather like the growing parallels tween the President and Zarek.

All first season whenver Zarek was mentioned, it was generally as traitor and terrorist for his previous actions. The rare follower or sympathetic person stepped forward and said freedom fighter.

And now here's the President, having had a spiritual (as opposed to moral or political) awakening committing an arguably treasonous act and co-opting Starbuck into helping...

Ironic...

It will be interesting to see how they let that parallel play out.

Also, I don't think it was the Cylons shooting at the Chief either. My immediate thought was that it was Crashdown but i'd have thought if it was, they would have resolved that in the ep. Perhaps Kobol already has some residents. Other refugees from the colonies or perhaps residents that have taken up ownership of the planet since the colonies left. Would make an interesting side story arc. The politics of dealing with a native gov't when the fleet commander is in the hospital and the president is in the brig. Leaves Baltar as the highest ranking member of the civilian gov't and i don't think I'd want him representing my interests!
                        Thanks!
                        Jordan

my page
                        My LJ
                        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          Someone on that bridge will turn out to be a Cylon. You just know they will. The only one I’m sure of is Adama. Now if he turns out to be one then like he said in another episode, “We are all screwed.” At the moment, I'm entertaining the idea that Roslin is a possible Cylon.
                          Yep, I agree. Recently I've been worried that it's Lee. I keep thinking back to the Cylon that whispered to the president, "Adama is a Cylon." He never specified which Adama now, did he?

I don't like the idea of a Leebot though, so I hope I'm wrong. And I usually am about these things, so...

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          I think they’ve got some good stuff for Starbuck in the future and that’s why they didn’t spend any more time in this ep than they did on her and Helo. I couldn’t resist looking at pics from future episodes. *slap* I need to stop doing that.
                          I'm completely spoilerfree, but it's *not* easy!

Oh, and I loved the episode. Loved Lee's tightly controlled emotions erupting to the surface. Then he looked almost numb while talking to the president. Dragging him away from his father like that. Wow. Oh well, Lee/Angst = OTP.

Loved Starbuck's, "***** took my ride." and "Men are so stupid!" lines. The crew crashed on Kobol reminded me of the intensity of some of the scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers". Poor, poor Tyrol. He looked absolutely crushed. Cally might look fragile, but she's got a backbone.

The only part of the show that I didn't *love* were the Baltar/Six scenes, mostly because I'm not really getting that part of the storyline. Minor quibble though. If they can keep this up for the entire year, this season is going to be amazing.
                          Last edited by Jonisa; 17 July 2005, 05:39 PM.

Comment

RE the enemies that Tyrol and co were up against on Kobol: The weapons certainly sounded like the large caliber guns the Cylon Centurions have on their hands, so I'm pretty sure it was the Cylons. Add that to the fact that they heard the sonic boom of a ship coming down into the atmosphere - considering that that Cylon Basestar was the only thing up there (Galactic was way to busy to send anything else down ).

Also, I have to wonder if the Cylons are actually deliberately not trying to kill all of them. Baltar is with that group, and from what I gather, the Cylons may be more interested in keeping him alive. Also consider the fact that even though the Cylons have massively superiour technology and numbers, the Galactica has managed not only to survive, but in some cases take the fight back to them. It makes me wonder wether the Cylons are almost 'toying' with them.

Comment

Maybe that’s why they did not advance towards Tyrol, etc. I just though the tactic of Cylon toasters taking cover, a little off. To me they just seem like they would advance on a position at all cost. But since they know Baltar is with them, then I like your idea that they may prefer to keep them alive for their own reasons.

Oh yeah, Baltar is somewhat “in charge” of the government now. I wouldn't have voted for him either. At least Tigh has some sense when it comes to what he really is though. I don’t think Adama is that trusting of him either, but Tigh has him pegged. It’s going to be interesting how this whole thing with Adama and Roslin plays out and how she regains her power (if she does b/c I don't know). The political wrangling is going to be intriguing once the Council finds out what is going on. Future spoiler. So don't read you spoilerphobes!
                              Spoiler:
                              I wonder if that is what leads Tigh to declare marshal law?

Yeah, I never though it was anybody from Galactica. Was Galactica even in orbit around Kobol? Boomer and Racetrack jumped back in the Raptor and then the whole thing with Lee and Roslin. I don’t think Adama ever had the chance to order a jump to Kobol. I thought maybe they might have been other humans who happened to find their way to Kobol, but RDM on the podcast didn’t seem to focused on that scene except for describing the echo of the gunfire and that they chose not to have any background score.

How cool were those images of the Cylon raiders leaving the Base Star? That was amazing CGI. Also interesting to see how they actually launch from a Base Star. They look like they are actually popping up out of a slot in a toaster.

Originally posted by Jonisa
                              Yep, I agree. Recently I've been worried that it's Lee. I keep thinking back to the Cylon that whispered to the president, "Adama is a Cylon." He never specified which Adama now, did he?

I don't like the idea of a Leebot though, so I hope I'm wrong. And I usually am about these things, so...
                              That’s nice to know that you are usually wrong. I’d die if Lee turned out to be a Cylon in the end.

I think Leoben was just screwing with Roslin, but then you never know with those things.
                              Oh, and I loved the episode. Loved Lee's tightly controlled emotions erupting to the surface. Then he looked almost numb while talking to the president. Dragging him away from his father like that. Wow. Oh well, Lee/Angst = OTP.
                              That was so cold of Tigh to do that, but the scene was still powerful even though I’ve probably heard Lee scream “He’s my father” umpteen jillion times this summer in commercials. Good stuff from Jamie Bamber. His character is probably going to do a lot of maturing this season. Nice little tid bit in RDM’s podcast that the medic was Bamber’s wife. Just knew a good lookin’ man like that couldn’t be single.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X