Rodney McKay/Carson Beckett Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
    Hang on, so do you like it or not? The stubble. You seemed to be talking yourself out of it. I like it, something to touch when they are thinking and doing other things.

Oh no, I love the stubble. Hehe...

As I said earlier we just need more scenes of them together. I think an off-world trip is called for but not like PW something more Rodney/Carson specific maybe a medical slash techno thing, something they can both be involved with and banter/argue over but finally coming to the same conclusion and being further brought together through mutal respect and understanding of each other.

Plus I think they are cute when they are trying to explain things, Rodney with his hands all over the place, and Carson getting that knowing grin. Anyway, do we think that they are equals or does one, perhaps Rodney, have more power?

That would make for a good episode, they do need more time together *sigh* I can see the two of them arguing right now... *lets her mind wander*

I especially think McKay's hand waving is cute. How they go every where... Especially all the times where he puts up one finger and starts to move it about... haha. That's amusing.

Also, I think that Rodney would be the more powerful one, Carson just seems like he would be more calm and secondary. Not that he is in anyway

Old extras never die, they reappear in the next season.
    --Major J. Traylor--

Comment

Anyway, do we think that they are equals or does one, perhaps Rodney, have more power?
      If you'e talking about command structure, I asked Martin Gero that question. He replied that Beckett reports to Weir. So that would make Sheppard, McKay and Beckett all reporting to Weir directly.

If you're talking about personalities, well, Rodney may be the one with all the bluster, but Carson is the one with the needles.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Are people not so interested here at GW in engaging in a shipper maybe slash of the male/male kind? Hmm, they seem to get dropped pretty quickly.
        You're probably right there. I'll go on the record as a slash fan and I adore the idea of McKay/Beckett.

Comment

Not a lot of discussion going on here. Maybe we should have included Sheppard I would find that very worthy of discussion myself.

Are people not so interested here at GW in engaging in a shipper maybe slash of the male/male kind? Hmm, they seem to get dropped pretty quickly.

Oh well, I might just use these threads for my own personal enjoyment of the relationships if no one else wants to join in. Of course if anyone else does want to join in,as I say, the more the merrier.
          I've noticed the lack of successful slash threads on GW too. Strange, cause if you look at some of the fic sites like Wraithbait the stories are almost overwhelmingly slash, especially McShep and McBeck

I will declare myself a slash lover as well!! (even though my OTP is McWeir)
          Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
          :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by Major J. Traylor
            Oh no, I love the stubble. Hehe...

Originally posted by Major J. Traylor
            Also, I think that Rodney would be the more powerful one, Carson just seems like he would be more calm and secondary. Not that he is in anyway
            I changed my mind Carson has the gene naturally he wins, end of story. Rodney is jealous of that, which is cute. I also think emotionaly Carson is more stable than Rodney, although I still have trouble with Carson's relationship with his mum, what is up with that? lol That was just a bizarre bit of TV.

Bizarre. Paul is so good.

Thanks everyone who came in and quoted and responded I feel less alone and weird ok I still feel a little weird but it will pass.

I don't see this as a slash thread or anything and I never even started it, I am quite happy to talk friendship, pretty much anything as long as it involves Dr Rodney McKay.
            Last edited by Willow'sCat; 18 July 2005, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I changed my mind Carson has the gene naturally he wins, end of story. Rodney is jealous of that, which is cute.

I also think emotionaly Carson is more stable than Rodney, although I still have trouble with Carson's relationship with his mum, what is up with that? lol That was just a bizarre bit of TV.
              Haha, yes he is very much so jealous, but wouldn't you be if you didn't have the gene? I will keep my side that Rodney would be the more dominant one, his instability will be what makes him so in my mind

I don't see this as a slash thread or anything and I never even started it, I am quite happy to talk friendship, pretty much anything as long as it involves Dr Rodney McKay.
              Haha, you got to love Rodney. And I don't mind if people who just want to talk about friendship talk about it that way, there's a reason why I titled it as the McKay/Beckett discussion thread. (*hint hint* you friendshippers )

Oh, and reguarding Carson's relationship with his mom, he's definately a momma's boy, good thing he's in Atlantis. Rodney won't have an competion for his love.

--Major J. Traylor--

Comment

I just saw this new thread and knew I had to join! So hello, here I am!
                A few years ago I would have said I'd never write or read slash, but this changed drastically. I read it a lot and I dared to start a slash fic myself, and it's Beckett/McKay. I like to read McShep, but I like the McBeck pairing more. But I'm also very much into het McKay/Beckett friendship!

Bye, A.
                ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                  I think it's amazing that any son who shows concern for his mother is always branded a "momma's boy". I got the impression from that brief scene in "Rising" that Carson and his mother ONLY have each other for family--I don't think any other relatives have been mentioned. To me, it's perfectly natural that Carson would be concerned for his only living relative and worry that she'a all alone with only friends to lean on for support and companionship. And as a doctor, he also knows all her ailments/infirmities, which would also bother him since he doesn't have any siblings to check up on her, make sure she gets to her medical appointments and takes proper care of herself.
                  Good interpretation, I agree completely. But the term "Momma's boy" fits nonetheless, and I think it's kinda cute!
                  Since Rodney doesn't seem to have such a thing with his mother (or better, his whole family ), I think that's another nice contrast between the two. I can imagine that Carson's childhood was full of love and mutual care and Rodney's rather harsh, and now Carson also seems to be a warm and caring person and Rodney the opposite (at least on the outside). And that adds to making their relationship (no matter which kind) interesting.

I really wonder if they met in Antarctica for the first time, and how.
                  Bye, A.

Comment

Thinking about it I think I like these two in slash as well as friendship. I've read as many stories with these two in both as I can find.

Most slash pairings I have come across in fanfic for different fandoms amuse me sometimes. Specifically stories that have the pair being very domestic. My reaction is usually that if the two lived together they'd probably kill each other in a short amount of time. But with Mckay/Beckett I can oddly picture them being very domestic.

In Rising when we first saw these two together I thought this was gonna be an interesting and fun friendship, but unfortunately we haven't gotten a whole to see so far with them interacting.

I don't know if it's influence from some fanfic I've read because I've had this thought after reading some recently, but they remind me of two characters on the show House. Dr. Greg House reminds me somewhat of Rodney and House's friend Dr. Wilson was similar to Beckett.

I was thinking Beckett seemed to know Rodney very well. It feels like they've known each other awhile like House and Wilson have. Beckett I thought can deflate Rodney's ego a bit with a quick and clever remark like Wilson does to House.

Comment

Most folks tend to mean "momma's boy" as an unflattering or derogatory term (ie, a synonym for wimp, wuss, pantywaist, etc.). I think it's refreshing to have a regular character who appears to have grown up in a loving home and turned out to be a loving, giving sort of person. Both McKay and Sheppard have their dysfunctional family backgrounds clouding their relationships with others, but this seems to be typical for all the key, heroic types in movies and fiction--the hero always has to have something in his background he's trying to move beyond and/or something tragic in his recent history to spur him onward but really underneath he has a warm, caring heart full of gold and all that's good in the universe....)
                      I certainly didn't seem it in an unflattering sense. To me a momma's boy is a guy who cares a lot for his mother and she the same to him. My own brother's a momma's boy and he's anything BUT whimpy or sissy.

I wonder, too, about where they met. I always assumed they met in Antarctica, but we know McKay worked for the SGC and traveled--perhaps he met Beckett somewhere else and was responsible for recommending him for the Stargate program?

In any case--I do enjoy their chemistry together whether in a slashy sense or just friendship. McKay drives me nuts because he's so damn annoying EXCEPT when he's in a scene with Beckett--those two really play well off each other.
                      McKay is just so dang adorable when he's getting all annoyed. *sigh*

Oooo, Antarctica, brings back memories of there first scenes together... Here's some pics of it!

--Major J. Traylor--

Comment

Funny, it was Carson's obvious love of his mum and the tender way he cared for Perna that did me in. Which contrasts DH's misogynist take on Rodney (acc to the RM/DH thunk thread a few pgs back). Personally, I couldn't see it-I think Rodney's an equal opportunity offender .

Relationship-wise:
                        Carson's drawn to Rodney b/c of that energy, that brilliance. That outward confidence, just short of complete arrogance (that would be Kavanaugh). Who knows what deep seated insecurity lies within. You see it for just a micro-second ocassionally, but then boom, it's gone. Rodney may be Mr. Bluster but can back it up 99% of the time. Which makes him so different from most of the boasters of the world.

As for Carson, there's a quiet strength that draws people to him. Bless him, but Rodney's people skills are severely lacking. Carson's just Mr. Charm. Still as passionate as Rodney, and just as brilliant in his field. I think Carson could be the locus to Rodney's energy. He'd also eventually get "his way" with Rodney.

As for the power in the relationship, I think they are equals, maybe even leaning a bit towards Carson's side (betcha can't tell who's my fave, huh?) I mean let's just say they broke up (friendship, slash). Who would be the most effected? Carson would pout, but eventually find someone else with which to hang. Rodney's options bit more limited. He'd throw himself even more into work...or go running into Sheppard's arms

McBeck is a case of opposites attract. I see more similarities in Beckett and Zelenka-brilliant, unassuming (compared to McKay) scientists. Give Zelenka a little more screen time and they may give McBeck competition in my book.

Comment

First. I would never call Dr Carson Beckett a "Mumma's Boy", I was refering to the way the show had decided to portray his Mum and him, it looked bizarre as in "the image" they showed looked bizarre. He is obviously a good son and their is nothing wrong with that.

Second. Dr Rodney McKay does not strike me a masochist (*Thunk* thread? What? I don't remember reading that!). I agree he is an equal opportunity offender.

Originally posted by Arlessiar
                          I just saw this new thread and knew I had to join! So hello, here I am!
                          Welcome.

Originally posted by Arlessiar
                          A few years ago I would have said I'd never write or read slash, but this changed drastically. I read it a lot and I dared to start a slash fic myself, and it's Beckett/McKay. I like to read McShep, but I like the McBeck pairing more. But I'm also very much into het McKay/Beckett friendship!Bye, A.
                          Hehe, Glad to hear it Arlessiar, I love the slash too, I like the whole Beckett/McKay thing . I do like some Shepp/Beck/McKay too and the sweet little friendship ones are good, well they do have to start as friends. Don't they?

Just for you Arlessiar, mmm Lab coat.

Ah I can see the potential from here.

Comment

Oh thank god! A McBeck thread that I don't get yelled at for participating in. On the other Stargate forum I'm a part of me & a few others were talking about this episode all excited & someone came on and just said some nasty things towards us, mostly me, for the whole thread, but anyway, I digress.

I'm sooooo excited for this episode! I've never read a slash fic, but I just may have to because I'm totally in love with the idea of McBeck! It's too great.

And about Carson & his mum, I think it's adorable. Specially in Letters from Pegasus, he was getting all emotional. I think that shows some character, being able to show that you are worried for your mum, specially in a place like Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheveron7Locked
                              Oh thank god! A McBeck thread that I don't get yelled at for participating in. On the other Stargate forum I'm a part of me & a few others were talking about this episode all excited & someone came on and just said some nasty things towards us, mostly me, for the whole thread, but anyway, I digress.
                              Aw, that is not nice. But although perhaps inspired by the Duet ep, this is hopefully a little more broader than just that.

I'm sooooo excited for this episode! I've never read a slash fic, but I just may have to because I'm totally in love with the idea of McBeck! It's too great.
                              Well bearing in mind that GateWorld is a PG13 site we are restricted to talking pretty generally about the shipper/slash here, that's O.K though.

And about Carson & his mum, I think it's adorable. Specially in Letters from Pegasus, he was getting all emotional. I think that shows some character, being able to show that you are worried for your mum, specially in a place like Atlantis.
                              Well I have not seen LP yet I live in Australia, we are still on Season one, Brotherhood, this week I think? So I can not comment on that but as I said, I do think it is nice that he cares about his mum. But that this doesn't make him a mumma's boy, I mean he is a brilliant Doctor! He rocks.

Rodney: You know if you want a cuddle or something you don't need your mum for that?

Carson: Aye, Rodney but what about my laundry?

Rodney: Well yeah, for laundry!

Rodney a masochistic, I don't think so! rofl Sorry.

Comment

Hehe, Glad to hear it Arlessiar, I love the slash too, I like the whole Beckett/McKay thing . I do like some Shepp/Beck/McKay too and the sweet little friendship ones are good, well they do have to start as friends. Don't they?
                                Of course, friendship first. Friendship is good. Very good. And then, maybe, just maybe...
                                I've also read some McBeckard fics. Good way to combine the both slash pairings I like!
                                Just for you Arlessiar, mmm Lab coat.
                                http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...x/2ffddd4b.jpg
                                Ah, Rose, you know what I like! Thanks!
                                *drools over labcoat, but is scared to step closer because of that HUGE needle*

Bye, A.
                                (luckily not really afraid of needles )

Comment

Working...
                                X