• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Hatch Talks Galactica Season 2!

From Hollywood North Report:

Richard Hatch Talks Galactica Season 2!

On Tom Zarek and sci-fi’s mainstream evolution

By Robert Falconer, HNR Senior Editor

Click on the link to read the interview (long)

Some Excerpts:

One of the characters who has come to epitomize the aforementioned complexities of this series – and who has engendered tremendous polarity amongst fans – is Tom Zarek (played by original series actor Richard Hatch), a charismatic political dissident whose agenda and motivations are never quite clear, perhaps not even to him. With season two set to kick off on July 15, Richard sat down to chat with HNR about Galactica’s success, what’s in store for the enigmatic Tom Zarek during the first 10 episodes, and other things…

Robert: Looking back with 20/20 hindsight over the past year-and-a-half, why do you think this new version of Battlestar Galactica is resonating so strongly with both audiences and the mainstream press?

Richard Hatch: A good show is a good show. No matter what you think, or like, or don’t like…a well-written, well-acted, well-produced show is going to win over the majority of the core audience eventually. I also think that sci-fi fans are starving for truly good science fiction…and I think the press happens to like this show because it’s extremely well written and acted. Usually, when it comes to science fiction, the press tends to put that in quotes, you know, “it’s ‘science fiction,’” and they relegate it to a place where they really don’t take it seriously.

Here, Ron Moore has created a show that in a sense is for our times, and mirrors the sociological, political situations of our day—and actually speaks to this generation. I also think that when you add interesting characters and story plotting to phenomena that anybody today can relate to, then I think your show will move beyond the confines of ‘genre’ or ‘demographic’ and reach a broader, larger audience. And in the case of this show, anybody who likes good drama will find much to enjoy about Galactica. The characters, the relationships, the politics – everything that takes place – are elements that anybody in this day and age can identify with and find compelling. I truly think that Galactica is building a bridge between the world of science fiction and the world of today.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Working...
X