This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for gate cavalry?

So far, we haven't seen anyone try to fit a real tank or infantry vehicle through the Gate yet, besides the 'Gateship' and a couple FREDs. Is there any real need for one, and how would we get it through?
    Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Maybe a dune bogey thing like the seals use could fit through. Yes it would be nice 2 have a vehicule 2 travel longer distances and 2 attack more people with.

Comment

A Tank or anything along those lines (Bradley, etc) is WAY to big to fit through the gate. I suppose we might eventually develop something smaller along those lines that would fit but for now we can forget about that. A smaller jeep type vehicle might fit, but that would probably be about as big as you could go.

On the other hand, myself and others HAVE suggested the use of ATVs and bikes. In fact, US special forces teams now use those quite a bit so it wouldn't be a stretch at all. Plus ATVs and bikes would easily fit through the cargo elevators and halls in the SGC. A larger vehicle would probably have to be lowered via crane or disassembled and moved through the gate in pieces.

It's too bad, really. My brother graduated from basic up at Ft Knox, KY on June 30. He's a calvary scout so they had a humvee and an M3A3 Bradley on display. During the graduation, they showed a few other videos, including shots of an Abrams tank firing and such.

You know what went through my head? "God, it really sucks that the gate's not bigger. Can you imagine what one of those SOBs would do to Jaffa ground forces if we could send one through the gate? Talk about a slaughter. I doubt that their staff weapons would even be able to harm the tank outside of a lucky shot. The composite chobham armor they use will almost certainly stop those blasts easily. Even the larger stand and wagon mounted staff cannons would probably not be very effective against it, especially from the front.

On the other hand, the .50cal, 7.62mm coaxial and 120mm main guns would wreak havoc on the Jaffa. Can you imagine being a jaffa with 70 tons of steel bearing down on you at 30-40 mph and your weapons don't even touch it?

M1 Abrams
      More Abrams MBT

Comment

I think since the gate can only bring in light stuff, you won't see any MBT or IFVs through there. You'd probably be restricted to various wheeled jeeps and/or trucks which mounts for different weapons (think Warthog from Halo ). If the **** really hits the fan perhaps some towed artillery would be nice, like an M198?

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
        - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Well... an M2A2 is about 10' wide and 10'5'' high. I don't have the exact dimension for the 'gate, but a few threads here and wikipedia put it at about 22' in diameter. So you could probably fit a Bradley through. The real problem is getting through the SGC gate. Short of lowering it by the crane down into the mountain, there would be no way to get a vehicle of that size inside the mountain (and lowering it by the crane aint exactly inconspicous either )

But, it might be possible to get the Prometheus to beam some up with the Asgard Transporter, jump to an offworld base, beam them down and set them up there. Then if an SGC team needed armour support, they just called up the base and get em to send one through. Resupply might be a bit of a problem, but the Prommie (or other 303's) could make say monthly cargo runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Well... an M2A2 is about 10' wide and 10'5'' high. I don't have the exact dimension for the 'gate, but a few threads here and wikipedia put it at about 22' in diameter. So you could probably fit a Bradley through. The real problem is getting through the SGC gate. Short of lowering it by the crane down into the mountain, there would be no way to get a vehicle of that size inside the mountain (and lowering it by the crane aint exactly inconspicous either )

But, it might be possible to get the Prometheus to beam some up with the Asgard Transporter, jump to an offworld base, beam them down and set them up there. Then if an SGC team needed armour support, they just called up the base and get em to send one through. Resupply might be a bit of a problem, but the Prommie (or other 303's) could make say monthly cargo runs.
            There you go! Have the Prometheus ferry our heavy equipment to Alpha Site, and have Alpha send support. Might need to move the Alpha gate to a seperate hanger or garage type room with more space for vehicles, and no stairs....

-Chachi
            Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

The gate has a 22 feet exterior diameter with an interior diameter of about 18 feet. That gives you a 12 ft by 12 ft area with 6 inches on either side to drive whatever you wanted through the gate.
              An M1 Abrams is 8 feet high and 12 feet wide. It'd fit no problem.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Obviously some people have throught it through more than others.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

http://www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.htm has alot of information on sending vehicles through the gate.
                  Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                  Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                  - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                  - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

After reading the article on the link cited above, I did some research on current Army IFVs. I concluded that an Army IFV called the LAV-25 would probably be the ideal armored vehicle for use by the SGC, for the following reasons:

- Amphibious with little preparation
                    - It carries troops, between 6 and 7 I think
                    - It comes in multiple varients, including anti-aircraft, anti-tank, and medical evac (this version, I think, would have been a serious asset in season seven Heroes)
                    - Armor is probably enough to stop staff blasts, including the staff cannon emplacements.
                    - Onboard sensors would go far beyond the ability of human and Jaffa vision: the SG teams operating it would own the night.
                    - Weapons can include a minigun, ie, Jaffa Charge Stomper; Stingers and onboard radar would be nasty for Gliders; TOWs for use against Alkesh or landing ships, and a 25mm gun like the Bradley carries for serious punch. A railgun from the later seasons could be a serious contender here, too.
                    - Its smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable than most other IFVs.

I would probably arrange an SGC armored platoon with three LAV-25s equipped for anti-infantry/anti-armor, and a second platoon with a medical evac LAV and two anti-air LAVs. Then attach a few ATVs or dune buggies as scouts. One, or all of the vehicles would have a laser designator, and could select targets to be hit by the SGC's go-through-the-gate missiles.

One thing that would be really cool is if the SGC took out the diesel engines from the LAVs and gave them Naquadah generators. It would be more expensive but range and endurance would jump - no need for fuel to be carried, and thus risk Jaffa hitting the oil tank. The Naquadah generator would also give you some power to run a shield generator (maybe hacked from a ribbon device?). In place of the main gun you could put together something akin to a "staff weapon gatling gun" and lower the necessary ammo storage. Properly trained, a single light armor platoon could school Jaffa warriors.

Comment

SG1: "This is SG-1, we have Jaffa on the west ridge!"
                      Alpha One: "SG-1, prepare to receive fire support. Give us a head count."
                      SG1: "There are several hundred."
                      Alpha One: "Alpha Two and Three, give me suppressing fire on the flanks. Alpha Four, get SG-1 aboard and head back to the Gate. Fire at will, terminate with extreme prejudice."
                      (There is brief shooting)
                      Alpha One: "StarGate Command, this is Alpha One. All surviving hostiles have departed the field, some through different means than others. We're returning to base. Keep the iris open for us..."

Comment

assemble the tanks at the alpha site. much eaiser, as the gate is outside

Help!
                        My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                          assemble the tanks at the alpha site. much eaiser, as the gate is outside
                          You would have to send supplies through the stargate which would stop gate travel for any other uses and also if you used the prommie or daedulas(i know thats spelt wrong)to send supplies that would stop them from doing their main duties.And finnaly(sp?) i thought the alpha site was indoors now.
                          Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                          Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                          - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                          - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

We could get a Tank through the Stargate, theoretically, we could fit a planet through the Stargate.

Of course they are obviously to big to fit through the Stargate itself, at their normal size, and shrinking them, would obviously be a cliche, so we won't even go into that. However, an alternative, is to dematerialize the matter using another device, maybe something like an Asgard transporter, then send the information through the Stargate, to a rematerialization device near the recieveing gate, the energy from the dematerialized matter as well as the information of the matter would be sent through the gate. Bassically we would be doing what the Stargate does with two extra devices and we would extend it beyond the event horizons. So it is possible, we just can't drive it through the gate, but we can send it through.

Owen Macri

Comment

But we don't have transporter tech yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X