No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought at4 was warmer than at5 in feb. i wish i had my winter coat for that trip.

Comment

I have realised I am going to be very busy in Nov 2012. AT6, girls' weekend and it will be the 100th Grey Cup (Canadian Football Championship). As it is a special year I had planned to attend. Better check the dates for that. Probably too much to ask for that it be the week after AT6, that way I could go to AT6, stay in London for the week after and then just stay in Toronto for the Grey Cup on the way back (since I have to fly through Toronto anyway). Off to check dates...

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

All this talk about the weather is making me nervous - any advice guys? Is it worth it to say a few extra days and chance the weather?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcartersg1 View Post
          All this talk about the weather is making me nervous - any advice guys? Is it worth it to say a few extra days and chance the weather?
          The only person I know who can predict the weather will tell you what yesterday's weather was like...So my humble advise....do what you want to do, weather be damned and have a ball. AT6 - here we come (eventually)!
          sigpic

Comment

Fact is, the weather could be anything. Be prepared by having layers, add layers if it is cold, take off layers if is is warmer (being careful to keep enough layers on to be decent ).

The only real weather concern would be enough snow to shut down the airport so you could not fly in to London. Best way to deal with that is to come early, that way if your flight is cancelled you have a couple of days to try to catch another one.

And crap! The Grey Cup is November 25th. Going to be tough to do all three events in one month without being able to combine some trips. May have to make some hard decisions about what i attend and what I have to miss.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Fact is, the weather could be anything. Be prepared by having layers, add layers if it is cold, take off layers if is is warmer (being careful to keep enough layers on to be decent ).

And crap! The Grey Cup is November 25th. Going to be tough to do all three events in one month without being able to combine some trips. May have to make some hard decisions about what i attend and what I have to miss.
              *puts on a low growl* Don't even think about it...
              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

the whole planet seems to be moving into a period of increased seismic activity. Haiti, china, chile, new zealand, now the US...the last couple of years it seems there's been an increase in earthquakes from one 'big' one every year or so to one every couple of months
                It's not uncommon for increased activity in numerous locations after very big earthquakes - it shakes the whole Earth not just where the earthquake is. Think of a stuck drawer, it needs a shake to get it moving, and so too the various faults which are 'stuck', give them a shake and they start moving.

Comment

I plan on coming over early; maybe around early October. I have been wanting to do a self directed tour of Medieval England. I been taking some college history courses in the subject. Fall will be great because the Universities will be in session and I hope I can crash in on some history symposiums in some of the places I plan to use as a base of operations as it were. York for one; great place!

It will also be just before my birthday; I deserve a present

Comment

my London in the fall survival kit....layers.

jeans, t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, water repellant jackets

I mean I did most of my sight seeing wearing one of two track suits with either a t-shirt or long sleeved insulated shirt and longies under it with a light jacket on the top.

i layered or unlayered as needed.

really it wasn't cold but damp and chilly....then hot in the tubes and warm in the various museums etc

I suggest, for sight seeing, check stuff out on a map, one location in the morning, lunch then one other then dinner....you need to factor in travel time...it can take you as much as an hour to get from point A to point B in London

basically sight see geographically.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Excellent.

We Canucks will have no problem with the snow. My only concern would be that your airports is not equipped to handle it so it may cancel flights. Perhaps if we Canadians came early and had our shovels ready we could help out.
                      Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                      I think our airports have learned from previous experience and are now more prepared, but I'm sure a few Canadians with shovels wood be very welcome
                      Originally posted by ames View Post
                      LOL - shovelling I can do - have had LOTS of practice over the years
                      Breaking weather news: A group of fans attending a convention at the Renaissance hotel, descended upon the airport armed with shovels. A number of them were from Canada and the northern US. When interviewed, they stated they always travel in the winter months with folding shovels.

Originally posted by llp View Post
                      Warm - no, but a jacket suited me fine and on the way back from the pub - didn't even button it up, but that could be because of other reasons!
                      Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

I don't think she that includes you, dear.

I mean I did most of my sight seeing wearing one of two track suits with either a t-shirt or long sleeved insulated shirt and longies under it with a light jacket on the top.

really it wasn't cold but damp and chilly....then hot in the tubes and warm in the various museums etc

I suggest, for sight seeing, check stuff out on a map, one location in the morning, lunch then one other then dinner....you need to factor in travel time...it can take you as much as an hour to get from point A to point B in London

Damp and chilly sums it up well. Never really cold, but the dampness would definitely get to you without a little insulation. I usually had on a sweatshirt and a jean jacket.
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                      Anon

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                        Hrmmmm... with AT6 being in November, that means I will need more warm clothes... which could justify be buying this gorgeous Aran wool hoodie I've been drooling over.
                        http://www.blarney.com/product_detai...eh4025/&bhcp=1
                        Not much occasion to wear that in SoCal
                        Nice hoodie...so it doesn't get cold enough in SoCal for a wollen hoodie? Really? What's winter like there?
                        AT4 was in November & it was cold, but not freezing & no snow! I'll take some of the same please!
                        Everything is relative. I thought it was quite warm.
                        I found it quite temperate...the coldest day for me was when we went to Stonehendge & walked around Salisbury. Even in Germany when it was 1C in the morning, we started our walk to the bakery with jackets on but it got too warm so we were walking around with long sleeve t shirts...it's not what I would call cold weather...chilly maybe but I didn't really need to rug up. I hope we get very similar weather again next year.
                        The only concern for me regarding the weather would be if there was a lot of unseasonal snow that might close the airports down so I wouldn't be able to get home...that would be my only concern...that & I would rather not fly in inclement weather.
                        The only person I know who can predict the weather will tell you what yesterday's weather was like...So my humble advise....do what you want to do, weather be damned and have a ball. AT6 - here we come (eventually)!
                        Yep!!
                        So you suggest we dress like...onions, Sky?? Or parfait??
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

And you will be modeling such clothes for us at the Ren? Please? Miss seeing you. If you go, I'll go too then. How's that?

As for the weather, November was definitely better than Feb for sightseeing. More sun and even a few days where a light jacket was acceptable. Keep in mind that you'll be in motion so you should be able to keep plenty warm. If I go, I plan on bringing less of everything cos I usually over pack anyways. With airlines only allowing one free checked bag for overseas travel, I'd rather not have to pay cos I had to bring that extra coat, pants, sweater, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            And you will be modeling such clothes for us at the Ren? Please? Miss seeing you. If you go, I'll go too then. How's that?
                            Hey!! I thought you were already a shoe in...is this conditional on Sky's presence?? *though admittedly, I too would love to see Sky there *
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Yes. Sky must be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                Nice hoodie...so it doesn't get cold enough in SoCal for a wollen hoodie? Really? What's winter like there?
                                In the winter it might get cold enough at night to warrant a wool hoodie. The average low for Dec, Jan and Feb would be about 50F (10C) with a high of about 68F (20C) for the high during the day. But I am generally not out too much during the night when it gets really cold. i would probably wear it anyway Of course I am now a wuss when it comes to the cold, so I would probably need it!

Comment

Working...
                                X