GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Are you crazy?! Guinness *and* a banjo on your back?! You'll be mobbed!! "Life of the party"!

Unfortunately, I don't think my piano will clear customs...
    Well, I've heard it is an offensive weapon! *runs away*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL)
      Nope! my name comes from my initials. LOL at metups/cons and online everyone calls me Mal. (Friends, people like DSD, TR etc )Sometimes it might be a few days before I hear my real name!

Seren LLwch is Star Dust in welsh.
      Well, I'm impressed. What's in a name? Obviously much more than meets the eye.

Now, about the "Seren Llwch" ... how do you people from the land of magic and mystery and green valleys and all that ... how do you manage to speak a language that is twisting my knickers and tongue just trying to spit it out ...?!

I have to confess ... in the USA, we would get reprimanded for misspelling if we ever tried to write words WITHOUT VOWELS! Holy Hannah, "Llwch"?!! My mouth just won't do it! I feel like I've swallowed my tongue and am getting red in the face!

I can't even picture Hoagy Carmichael crooning "Seren Llwch" as a love song ... something definitely gets lost in the translation! I guess I'll just have to wait until I get over there and hear these words spoken to really understand ... you may have to speak LOUDLY, as someone will be playing a banjo in the background.

PS I plan to travel to Wales next summer ... can you give me a crash course in pronunciation? I'll try to catch you before you drink the Guinness!

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
        Just listen to that string section ... okay, Bev ... it can be an offensive weapon in the hands of one less skilled (do I sound like Rodney McKay?!) ... but I try to treat it with respect and tickle its keys lightly.

Lord knows, if only the men in my life treated me the same way.

Comment

Hmmm...a small but perfectly formed group methinks!
          I wish I could share in your enthusiasm ... but, somehow, I think there may be quite a w-i-d-e variation to our group formation! (Fans come in all shapes and sizes. Notice, I refrained from "ages".)

Thank God for the Guinness ... we'll all look "perfectly formed" by the third round of drinks!

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
            Yes indeed !

*Sings*
            "99 bottles of Guinness on the way,
            99 bottles of Stout....
            If Bev forgets to bring the stuff ,
            we'll have to go without !!"

*Slinks away......*
            Here we go again ... I'm having problems with semantics ... does "Bagpuss" translate into "Bagpipe"?

Comment

But, seriously now folks, getting back on topic.

If you get chosen from the audience to ask AT just one question, what will it be?

I would probably ask her "If you could change one thing about Sam Carter, what would it be?"

Okay, your turn!

Comment

Um...um...um.....I have taken the plunge and purchased a ticket for Gabit!!!!!!!!

Will this be your first con? No, Burbank this July was my first..

Why did you choose GABIT? Amanda, meeting other Gateworlders, and London.

Are you coming from a distance or near the con site? California

Are you coming with a group of like-minded fans? No, but I know Bev and F.H.Bagpuss.

And what about Naomi?! Well my friend Naomi is doing great, but I don't think we are talking about the same Naomi.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm impressed. What's in a name? Obviously much more than meets the eye.

Now, about the "Seren Llwch" ... how do you people from the land of magic and mystery and green valleys and all that ... how do you manage to speak a language that is twisting my knickers and tongue just trying to spit it out ...?!

I have to confess ... in the USA, we would get reprimanded for misspelling if we ever tried to write words WITHOUT VOWELS! Holy Hannah, "Llwch"?!! My mouth just won't do it! I feel like I've swallowed my tongue and am getting red in the face!

I can't even picture Hoagy Carmichael crooning "Seren Llwch" as a love song ... something definitely gets lost in the translation! I guess I'll just have to wait until I get over there and hear these words spoken to really understand ... you may have to speak LOUDLY, as someone will be playing a banjo in the background.

PS I plan to travel to Wales next summer ... can you give me a crash course in pronunciation? I'll try to catch you before you drink the Guinness!

Peace, CG
                  ummm...... we are going off topic so i'll limit this to just this post.

First lesson. Try NOT to refer to Wales as part of or as ENGLAND. That will get you in trouble .

You pronouce a A as A in Apple. LL is one letter. L is a seperate letter. L sounds like L in letter....nearly. LL is hard to explain. You force saliva against your teeth in nearly a snarl sound.

CH is one letter. MARCH is the welsh word for STALLION. MAR is the same as the month March. But the CH is like a snarl sound....

Unfortunalty welsh is a language you have to hear to get the sounds of the letters right. If you really want to hear it properly I surgest you look on the 'net and try and find a tape .

Comment

Mal
                    FHBAGPUSS
                    Seabee
                    Chopingal
                    dipsoforjazz
                    1speed4sam & Coley
                    Rowan (maybe)
                    ForeverSg1 (Maybe ?)
                    Sue_the_Lurker
                    Polosmoothie
                    GateGipsy & Baby Gipsy (Both still maybe? They are in vancouver this week)
                    Kliggins

95 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!
                    Last edited by SEREN LWCH (MAL); 26 July 2005, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Question,Bev. If you take the banjo to Gabit,will you need to arrange special handling/packing /insurance with the air company before you travel ?
                      (I'm probably asking a dumb question,but with all the security worries since 7/7 ,I thought I'd ask anyway. )

Here we go again ... I'm having problems with semantics ... does "Bagpuss" translate into "Bagpipe"?
                      LOL ! Actually the F.H. stands for Foothold(Fan),and the Bagpuss refers to the animated tv series character "Bagpuss", which was about the adventures of a fictional sleepy,loveable pink/beige striped cat and his gang of friends.My Mother dubbed me Baggie/Bagpuss,as I was such a dozy, dreamy kid,and the nickname stuck.(Sheesh..I was only about 9 when Bagpuss and the Clangers were first aired in the UK.Family !)

Now to your name CG,possibly ChopinGal=Pianist and lover of classical music ?

Originally posted by Kliggins
                      Um...um...um.....I have taken the plunge and purchased a ticket for Gabit!!!!!!!!
                      *Dances *
                      Hooray Kligs ! I'm delighted you're able to attend.
                      Originally posted by Kliggins
                      Are you coming with a group of like-minded fans? No, but I know Bev and F.H.Bagpuss.
                      (((((((((Kliggins))))))) Yep.You know us...and I'm SO looking forward to meeting you at Gabit.

ETA :
                      Going back to CG :
                      If you get chosen from the audience to ask AT just one question, what will it be?
                      I'd ask : "What non-Stargate related projects in theatre,tv or film have been your favourites so far ; and what does the future beyond SG hold for you as an actress and director ?
                      I know that's two questions,combined,but I'd be happy with an answer to either part !

MAL : Thanks for the upgrades !
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 July 2005, 02:25 AM. Reason: realised I'd lost my reply to CG's q.
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                        LOL ! *Puts on sunglasses* Glowy Yellow !

*Sings* " We all live in a Yellow Submarine..."

Between CG (piano),1speed4Sam : (Bass),with Coley as Roadie ,SB : (Guitar),and Bev on ye olde Banjo,we seem to have a real ensemble forming for Gabit !

The less said about the Diva smilie the better.....but of course the show's not over, till after the Fat Lady sings.

*Scuttles off to practice*
                        Love it! How did I miss this one?! Clearing the custard is like playing the pipes and you certainly sound up to both tasks!

Now, we have to get Coley over here ... hmm, Coley as "Roadie" ... LOL

And thanks for the explanation of Bagpuss ... are you sure you're not a Pisces and born a few days earlier than you proclaim?! Just seems that way to me ... as a Piscean. Yes, I come from a family of Polish-American musicians.

Indeed, wonder what AT will be doing beyond Stargate and new motherhood. A good and fair question.
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 July 2005, 03:54 AM.

Comment

ummm...... we are going off topic so i'll limit this to just this post.

First lesson. Try NOT to refer to Wales as part of or as ENGLAND. That will get you in trouble .

You pronouce a A as A in Apple. LL is one letter. L is a seperate letter. L sounds like L in letter....nearly. LL is hard to explain. You force saliva against your teeth in nearly a snarl sound.

CH is one letter. MARCH is the welsh word for STALLION. MAR is the same as the month March. But the CH is like a snarl sound....

Unfortunalty welsh is a language you have to hear to get the sounds of the letters right. If you really want to hear it properly I surgest you look on the 'net and try and find a tape .
                          Thanks, Mal. I think I'll wait for the language lesson as I'm busy learning Polish for a trip to Krakow! Don't want to mix my apples with my pears for now. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful land next year though.

Comment

Thanks, Mal. I think I'll wait for the language lesson as I'm busy learning Polish for a trip to Krakow! Don't want to mix my apples with my pears for now. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful land next year though.
                            Ah well Polish is very simular to Welsh. Polish speakers tend to pick it up fast

Comment

Ah well Polish is very simular to Welsh. Polish speakers tend to pick it up fast
                              That's encouraging!

Now, what question would you like to ask AT if you get the chance at GABIT?!

Comment

You know, I've changed my mind about my "one question to AT" ... I think I would like to know how she handles all her fanmail and gifts? Just what happens to all of that?! Does she find time to even go through most of it or does her PA do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X