GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
    Hehe...I do risk assessments in one of my jobs for the various activities the young person in my care wants to do....I always think I should put 'being within six foot of a walking disaster area' as one of the risks.

Oh dear, how did I get a responsible job?

I've had concussion more times than I can count, been knocked unconscious more times than I can count, broken four fingers, dislocated my thumb, staple gunned the end of my finger, been impaled in my arm with a stick, gouged the skin off my shin, sprained my ankle numerous times, sprained my co-laterals, sprained both wrists multiple times, had whiplash, scalded the whole of the back of my right hand, torn the side of my hand open on a door, had my hand stood on by someone in studs, nearly drowned, had someone try to gouge my eye out and take a hunk of skin off the side of my face, fallen down a cliff....wow...it looks much worse when I try and write it all in one list.

Engraving your fingernail actually sounds kind of cool lol.
    Ooooo, an injury competition. Let's see. I've had a few concussions, one when a speaker fell on my head. Broken a toe, walking through a doorway, apparently the door jamb was closer than I thought. Sprained ankles and wrists. Tennis elbow. Partially dislocated my shoulder and split open my chin, all in one fall. Woke up one morning with a scratch on my eye. It may have been one of my cats, not sure. Once had one leg drop through a floor. The entire back of my thigh turned black it was so bruised. Couldn't sit right for a while. Broke my tail bone. Couldn't sit right even longer. If we include car accidents, I received about 100 stitches in my face, head, mouth, and legs. (I could see my kneecap , which I got in trouble for looking at. grrrr), had a puncture wound in my other leg, broke my nose. I've had whiplash. One of my cats got freaked out at the vets once and bit me right through a knuckle. And I am the queen of mystery bruises. Course, I bruise like a peach, so that's not hard. I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Wonder if it's all the head injuries?
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
      Ooooo, an injury competition. Let's see. I've had a few concussions, one when a speaker fell on my head. Broken a toe, walking through a doorway, apparently the door jamb was closer than I thought. Sprained ankles and wrists. Tennis elbow. Partially dislocated my shoulder and split open my chin, all in one fall. Woke up one morning with a scratch on my eye. It may have been one of my cats, not sure. Once had one leg drop through a floor. The entire back of my thigh turned black it was so bruised. Couldn't sit right for a while. Broke my tail bone. Couldn't sit right even longer. If we include car accidents, I received about 100 stitches in my face, head, mouth, and legs. (I could see my kneecap , which I got in trouble for looking at. grrrr), had a puncture wound in my other leg, broke my nose. I've had whiplash. One of my cats got freaked out at the vets once and bit me right through a knuckle. And I am the queen of mystery bruises. Course, I bruise like a peach, so that's not hard. I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Wonder if it's all the head injuries?

It's not a competition.

Well that explains a few things.

I've had whiplash, broke my ribs curling (tough sport that curling), always have bruises and cracked a bone in my leg when someone fell on me on some castle stairs in Wales and rode me down the stairs like a toboggan!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Wow ... 500 pages of gabit chat. Yay!! Is it AT4 yet???
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
          Wow! Less than a month's notice?
          For those of you that don't know the background... Pengyn and I live fairly close these days and it only takes me about 20/30 mins to meet up with her. However, despite our multiple attempts to get together for lunch / dinner / something, the world seems to be conspiring against us!
          I have just returned from a three hour train trip to the country to catch up with a GW'er and friend, Mara...we watched Continuum together for the first time!! Of course it was quite awesome and we had to keep rewinding certain parts to listen to what was said or watch what was done...we had a blast!!!
          We were fortunate as it just happened to be the weekend we both had free...and we plan to do it again soon...life is too short to not grab it by the horns and be with your friends! But you know the weird thing...I have friends who live closer and I see them less than I see Mara and this was our third meeting.
          Even if you can just grab one hour for a cuppa and a chat...how cool would that be!! Hope your two can get it together!!
          Originally posted by PengYn View Post

And yeah... the last time we tried was the week I managed to hairline fracture my skull. For the second time in my life. *sigh*
          Hey I don't do anything by half measures!
          Ouch!! How the heck did you do that??
          Ooooo, an injury competition.
          Oooh fun!!
          Lets see...have a scar on my left wrist from a nightie that was too tight when I was just an infant...split my head open on a speaker when I was 4...I broke my arm falling off a rope swing over a steep embankment when I was 5...broke my ankle playing soccer when I was 9...had my face and legs burnt by melting plastic when I was 11...have sprained my ankle I broke on numerous occasion...even sprained both ankles playing cricket one weekend - that was a fall and a half...even I was impressed but both ankles just ballooned up really well!!...burned my stomach when reaching to get something out of the cupboard above the stove...sliced my wrist on a potato chipper which left three scars on my wrist...and I have a scar on my right inner ankle from hurdling over the swimming pool and getting it caught on a metal capping...didn't hurt much but the blood was awesome!!!
          I know I've done other stupid stuff...or had it done to me...but I have to get to bed!!!
          Maybe we can compare war wounds at AT4??!!
          Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
          Wow ... 500 pages of gabit chat. Yay!! Is it AT4 yet???
          Cool...500 pages...wow...that went quick!!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post

Ouch!! How the heck did you do that??
            Far too OT:

Spoiler:
            I have had a few health issues this year but they seemed to worsen sometime just after AT3. It's too big to go into detail about everything because it is so woefully OT and I can think of far happier things to post about. But I did get really sick, one day my BP just decided to take a vacation and I couldn't keep conscious. I was at work at the time, and because I felt so ill I asked if they could help me to the bathroom where I slipped and cracked my head on the sink.

That was the second time, the first time was far funnier though. Someone ploughed into me during a lift in dance class and I fell flat on my head. Okay I know it doesn't *sound* funny but it makes me chuckle.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              It's not a competition.

Well that explains a few things.

I've had whiplash, broke my ribs curling (tough sport that curling), always have bruises and cracked a bone in my leg when someone fell on me on some castle stairs in Wales and rode me down the stairs like a toboggan!
              Yeah, I can just blame everything on head injuries.

OUCH! Castle stairs would hurt!

And to get this back on topic, we know Amanda has had at least one concussion.
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

Yeah, I can just blame everything on head injuries.

OUCH! Castle stairs would hurt!

And to get this back on topic, we know Amanda has had at least one concussion.
                lolol. I loved all her "Check Amanda" stories. They made me laugh so much. I don't laugh because she got hurt, but the way she tells her tales is just so amusing!
                sigpic

Comment

Because I'm in a convention talking mood.

Does anybody have an absolute best moment from any of the Gabit events? Anything from the cons that causes you to go "Wow. That was it for me." I mean I know we all have a lifetime of memories whether we've been to one event, two, or even three... but sometimes I think there's always just one that has a special place.

I know what mine should be. But surprisingly it isn't. Because it's what I automatically would have said, and then I thought about it a little more and realised that although - beyond an amazing opportunity, there's just one that beats it.

It was when I was standing in line for the photographs at AT2. I was quite far back and it was the last few photographs of the day. I was sweating with nerves and shaking so bad and eventually I was next. I was crying even before I took my first step towards Amanda, I was just so overwhelmed. It was the first time I'd seen her, and now would be the first time I'd meet her. She hugged me so tight I thought I'd lose breath, but I couldn't stop shaking. And she said "Hi" and I said - *sigh* - "I'm from the same country as Ba'al and Hathor". *headdeask* She laughed and said "That those were the best ones" lol. Anyway, we took the photo (which is so bad btw due to the red face and the tears rolling down my cheeks) but whenever I look at it, it immortalises that moment for me. The very first time I met Amanda Tapping. That's my Gabit moment. The one that makes me think that even if nothing else had happened at any of the events, if I hadn't met so many amazing people, and formed such lasting friendships, that I'd come back again just for that moment.
                  sigpic

Comment

O wow, great question Meg. And since I'm in a convention talking mood as well ....

For me it was at AT3 (lol, the only convenion I ever been too), the moment on stage during the Q&A where Amanda talked about her miscarriages. It blew me away that she was sharing something so personal.

There are tons of other great super wonderful moments, but that one had me go "wow".
                    sigpic

Comment

Huh. And I was just about to invite you up to London for Thai food on the 22nd.

*crosses Tracy Jane off Christmas card list*

*invites self*

We may have to do a London and Area Sanctuary Premiere Party when we get schedule details, though.
                      GAH! I wanna go!

lolol. I loved all her "Check Amanda" stories. They made me laugh so much. I don't laugh because she got hurt, but the way she tells her tales is just so amusing!
                      Oh yes...OurKlutzAmanda...gotta love her.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Because I'm in a convention talking mood.

Does anybody have an absolute best moment from any of the Gabit events? Anything from the cons that causes you to go "Wow. That was it for me."
                      I've loved every convention I've been too...but as AT3 was so different, it's by far my favorite.

I've done Creation con in Vancouver (and willl again in April 09), Creation con in Burbank (twice), Comic Con (twice), and AT3. Next week is Gatecon Vancouver.

The best moment at any con I've been to was the large group of my friends trying to get a group shot Sunday afternoon...having camera issues...and having AT come by and jump into our photo.

It's still the best memory I have of the convention...and it lends oodles to my love for Amanda.

Bless her.
                      Jenni

Comment

My Amanda moment?

When her brother passed away, there was a round robin story (not) being written by her fans. We talked about doing it as a tribute on Samanda, but when it was presented to her for Easter, Stephen wasn't mentioned.

People were reluctant to talk about Stephen because of how the story broke on the internet-- around the time the family was notified. Amanda had to respond well before she was ready to because of the talk on the internet. It was a cruel breach of privacy at a time of great grief.

Well, Amanda referred to Stephen on stage Sunday at AT3. When I went through the autograph line, I told her that my section of the story had been written in Stephen's honor. She had tears in her eyes when she got up to hug me and thank me. It was a touching moment for both of us, and I treasure it.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hmmmmm. There's a couple of moments with Amanda that I treasure and find special, but I don't really know how to word it without the whole thing sounding corny. Well it is, a bit. And the story is a bit ongoing and I'm not sure I remember that it all happened at Gabit, though the start of it most definitely was.

Anyway, cryptic stuff over, I guess most people would think the trollop stuff is my best thing.... but if I'm choosing a Gabit moment, because that's the question that Pengyn asked, a Gabit moment... then Amanda doesn't actually feature.

I know.... oh my gosh shock horror! The favourite, most memorable, most special moment I have to share and it doesn't involve Amanda.

Nope, it involves Becky, John and my Mum!

Back at AT2 I caused a bit of a scene at the photo op (vaguely / directly linked to the corny story). Long story short (And without any of the superfluous details), Amanda and I were both in tears. But the picture, despite the red eyes and sniffles, was absolutely gorgeous.

I took it to my parents' house and every time I mentioned a convention after that, my Mum would keep saying to me how much she loved that picture and wished she could have a copy. I kept meaning to ask Julia or Becky if I could scan the picture, but kept forgetting.

At AT3, I told Becky and John how much my Mum loved that picture and that she'd not stopped pestering me since AT2 for a copy of that photo. I asked if it would be alright if I scanned and copied it.

My one, special, most special Gabit moment was at AT3 when Becky came to find me with a brown envelope in her hands. Inside was a beautiful copy of THAT photo (I swear it's an even nicer copy than the original one I had!). I cried then and I'm crying again now.

I went back to my parents' house a few weeks ago, just for a visit. It's the first time since I posted her the photo. And sure enough, in pride of place on the bureau, in the centre of all the family pictures, is that picture with Amanda. She absolutely adores and treasures that photo, it's in a beautiful frame, is constantly dusted and every time someone comes to visit, she says, "That's Amanda Tapping from Stargate, that is. And she even signed a DVD for my birthday".

So that is my favourite Gabit moment.

Thank you Becky and John.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                            *invites self*
                            Dude you've got a bit of a swim there. Plus I'm sure you'll be at that little event called gatecon....

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

For me it was at AT3 (lol, the only convenion I ever been too), the moment on stage during the Q&A where Amanda talked about her miscarriages. It blew me away that she was sharing something so personal.
                            I think that she can be so open and honest about it with a genuine desire to help women in similar situations is beyond incredible. And I can definitely understand why that touched you.

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                            Well, Amanda referred to Stephen on stage Sunday at AT3. When I went through the autograph line, I told her that my section of the story had been written in Stephen's honor. She had tears in her eyes when she got up to hug me and thank me. It was a touching moment for both of us, and I treasure it.
                            It's great that you have that moment to treasure. It's wonderful if you can connect just through one instant.

Hmmmmm. There's a couple of moments with Amanda that I treasure and find special.
                            I know what you mean about having a "couple" of moments. Amanda said something so wonderful to me on the last day of AT2, but I had to pick THE moment. I can't be gushing out here all over the Gabit thread lol.

My one, special, most special Gabit moment was at AT3 when Becky came to find me with a brown envelope in her hands. Inside was a beautiful copy of THAT photo (I swear it's an even nicer copy than the original one I had!). I cried then and I'm crying again now.
                            That's awesome. Clearly kindness reigns amongt Gabit too.

EDIT: And wow we've passed 10,000 posts. Amanda just keeps us talking doesn't she?
                            Last edited by PengYn; 10 August 2008, 01:13 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Dude you've got a bit of a swim there. Plus I'm sure you'll be at that little event called gatecon....
                              Yes well...let's not dwell...

Jenni

Comment

I know what you mean about having a "couple" of moments. Amanda said something so wonderful to me on the last day of AT2, but I had to pick THE moment. I can't be gushing out here all over the Gabit thread lol.
                                As a rule, I don't do much gushing and squeeing (yeah, I know, too sensible and boring for my own good. ), but we all have our life preservers close at hand, so gush away. We won't drown.
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X