GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    My one, special, most special Gabit moment was at AT3 when Becky came to find me with a brown envelope in her hands. Inside was a beautiful copy of THAT photo (I swear it's an even nicer copy than the original one I had!). I cried then and I'm crying again now.

I went back to my parents' house a few weeks ago, just for a visit. It's the first time since I posted her the photo. And sure enough, in pride of place on the bureau, in the centre of all the family pictures, is that picture with Amanda. She absolutely adores and treasures that photo, it's in a beautiful frame, is constantly dusted and every time someone comes to visit, she says, "That's Amanda Tapping from Stargate, that is. And she even signed a DVD for my birthday".

So that is my favourite Gabit moment.

Thank you Becky and John.
    Aren't they wonderful?!! The Gabit folks are the best.

My story is from AT2. I had done a cross stitch for Amanda (and a xmas stocking for Olivia, and a book for Alan) that had shipping issues. It had actually come back to me and I had to reship. I even talked to her agent trying to make arrangements. So I sent it off and had no way of knowing if it got to her safely. At the cocktail party at AT2, my charm was for cross stitch. So she was asking everyone about their charms, and I said "Coincidentally, I need to ask you about something that I sent you. I made a cross stitch picture and dont' know if you received it." She looked at me with big eyes and said "Did you do the faces?" She got up to start around the table so I met her halfway. I got two hugs and I know we talked for a couple minutes, though I couldn't tell you much about the conversation. I was dazed. I had a picture of the items, so we talked about each one. I do remember she said that she and Alan really liked the book. (It's a book of the Billy Joel song Goodnight My Angel and it came with a CD single of the song) They had never heard the song before and really liked it. Hopefully Olivia's stocking has been hanging up at Christmas. Don't know where the cross-stitch ended up. It was pretty big.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
      Far too OT:

Spoiler:
      I have had a few health issues this year but they seemed to worsen sometime just after AT3. It's too big to go into detail about everything because it is so woefully OT and I can think of far happier things to post about. But I did get really sick, one day my BP just decided to take a vacation and I couldn't keep conscious. I was at work at the time, and because I felt so ill I asked if they could help me to the bathroom where I slipped and cracked my head on the sink.

That was the second time, the first time was far funnier though. Someone ploughed into me during a lift in dance class and I fell flat on my head. Okay I know it doesn't *sound* funny but it makes me chuckle.
      (((PengYn)))...take care sweetpea.
      lolol. I loved all her "Check Amanda" stories. They made me laugh so much. I don't laugh because she got hurt, but the way she tells her tales is just so amusing!
      How many were there??? Poor Amanda...the things she does for her art!
      Because I'm in a convention talking mood.
      Does anybody have an absolute best moment from any of the Gabit events? Anything from the cons that causes you to go "Wow. That was it for me." I mean I know we all have a lifetime of memories whether we've been to one event, two, or even three... but sometimes I think there's always just one that has a special place.

It was when I was standing in line for the photographs at AT2. I was quite far back and it was the last few photographs of the day. I was sweating with nerves and shaking so bad and eventually I was next. I was crying even before I took my first step towards Amanda, I was just so overwhelmed. It was the first time I'd seen her, and now would be the first time I'd meet her. She hugged me so tight I thought I'd lose breath, but I couldn't stop shaking. And she said "Hi" and I said - *sigh* - "I'm from the same country as Ba'al and Hathor". *headdeask* She laughed and said "That those were the best ones" lol. Anyway, we took the photo (which is so bad btw due to the red face and the tears rolling down my cheeks) but whenever I look at it, it immortalises that moment for me. The very first time I met Amanda Tapping. That's my Gabit moment. The one that makes me think that even if nothing else had happened at any of the events, if I hadn't met so many amazing people, and formed such lasting friendships, that I'd come back again just for that moment.
      I think that would have cracked me up...you're from the same country as Ba'al and Hathor??? Hahaha...well at least it was original!!!

I have yet to attend a Gabit event...but I have been to a few conventions...my most memorable thus far has been the Don.S Davis/Carmen Argenziano convention I attended last year...I got kissed by Don on several occasions that weekend...and chatting with Don and Carmen was just so easy...makes me sad to know that I won't be able to do that again.
      Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      My Amanda moment?
      When her brother passed away, there was a round robin story (not) being written by her fans. We talked about doing it as a tribute on Samanda, but when it was presented to her for Easter, Stephen wasn't mentioned.
      People were reluctant to talk about Stephen because of how the story broke on the internet-- around the time the family was notified. Amanda had to respond well before she was ready to because of the talk on the internet. It was a cruel breach of privacy at a time of great grief.
      Well, Amanda referred to Stephen on stage Sunday at AT3. When I went through the autograph line, I told her that my section of the story had been written in Stephen's honor. She had tears in her eyes when she got up to hug me and thank me. It was a touching moment for both of us, and I treasure it.
      That is just lovely. I remember how it was hard to talk about her brother's passing, not because we knew him but rather on the handling of the news of his death and how this affected the Tapping family...I felt so sad for Amanda and her family. I'm glad you were able to do that Scifithinker.
      I know.... oh my gosh shock horror! The favourite, most memorable, most special moment I have to share and it doesn't involve Amanda.
      Nope, it involves Becky, John and my Mum!
      Back at AT2 I caused a bit of a scene at the photo op (vaguely / directly linked to the corny story). Long story short (And without any of the superfluous details), Amanda and I were both in tears. But the picture, despite the red eyes and sniffles, was absolutely gorgeous.
      I took it to my parents' house and every time I mentioned a convention after that, my Mum would keep saying to me how much she loved that picture and wished she could have a copy. I kept meaning to ask Julia or Becky if I could scan the picture, but kept forgetting.
      At AT3, I told Becky and John how much my Mum loved that picture and that she'd not stopped pestering me since AT2 for a copy of that photo. I asked if it would be alright if I scanned and copied it.
      My one, special, most special Gabit moment was at AT3 when Becky came to find me with a brown envelope in her hands. Inside was a beautiful copy of THAT photo (I swear it's an even nicer copy than the original one I had!). I cried then and I'm crying again now.
      So that is my favourite Gabit moment.
      Thank you Becky and John.
      What a beautiful moment for you Tracy...I don't think it surprises me that Becky and the gang did that for you...I get the distinct impression that Amanda draws out the most sincere and wonderful people from everywhere...you only have to look at the Samandans and Gabiteers from all over the world...they all share the same common bond...Amanda Tapping...and you only have to read their stories to know what an impact she has on people.
      Originally posted by rderoch View Post
      Aren't they wonderful?!! The Gabit folks are the best.

My story is from AT2. I had done a cross stitch for Amanda (and a xmas stocking for Olivia, and a book for Alan) that had shipping issues. It had actually come back to me and I had to reship. I even talked to her agent trying to make arrangements. So I sent it off and had no way of knowing if it got to her safely. At the cocktail party at AT2, my charm was for cross stitch. So she was asking everyone about their charms, and I said "Coincidentally, I need to ask you about something that I sent you. I made a cross stitch picture and dont' know if you received it." She looked at me with big eyes and said "Did you do the faces?" She got up to start around the table so I met her halfway. I got two hugs and I know we talked for a couple minutes, though I couldn't tell you much about the conversation. I was dazed. I had a picture of the items, so we talked about each one. I do remember she said that she and Alan really liked the book. (It's a book of the Billy Joel song Goodnight My Angel and it came with a CD single of the song) They had never heard the song before and really liked it. Hopefully Olivia's stocking has been hanging up at Christmas. Don't know where the cross-stitch ended up. It was pretty big.
      You know I'm going to have to google that book now...I think my daughter mentioned that song to me a while back...it rings a bell.
      I love how she asked everyone about their charms. That's so cool.
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
        You know I'm going to have to google that book now...I think my daughter mentioned that song to me a while back...it rings a bell.
        I love how she asked everyone about their charms. That's so cool.
        Here's the Amazon listing:
        http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-My-A...488320&sr=1-12

For anyone that's interested, here's a picture of the gifts that I sent to Amanda. I cross stitched the faces picture and the stocking.
        http://picasaweb.google.com/rderoch/...69242065281346
        Last edited by rderoch; 11 August 2008, 01:08 PM.
        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
        Anon

Comment

Wow! That's amazing! Did you use a computer program to generate the patterns for the faces? A friend has got one and has done a couple of patterns for me on hers, but I keep considering buying one myself. If so, what do you use?
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

rderoch That's beautiful!

My Amanda Moment...

Was at AT3, when I went to get my photo taken with Amanda and she looked down at me with those expressive eyes, while giving me the most wonderful hug and the best part was, I found the courage (thanks to Julia) to hug her right back! This was a really huge thing for me and it meant the world to me too! I wasn't able to chat with Amanda (b/c of my own nervousness) but I tried to put all the things I wanted to say into that hug.

Julia(samcarterrules)
            sigpic
            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Wow! That's amazing! Did you use a computer program to generate the patterns for the faces? A friend has got one and has done a couple of patterns for me on hers, but I keep considering buying one myself. If so, what do you use?
              I believe it was Pattern Maker 3. Some of it came out a bit darker than I had hoped, but overall it came out pretty good. The program does a good job of interpreting the photo colors and assigning the floss colors. I had done a large cross stitch before of the cast of Sisters for the producers. (I did their website for a few years). They had it hanging in their office. So, after meeting Amanda for the first time in 2004, I had to express my amazement somehow. She is such an inspiration!

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
              rderoch That's beautiful!

My Amanda Moment...

Was at AT3, when I went to get my photo taken with Amanda and she looked down at me with those expressive eyes, while giving me the most wonderful hug and the best part was, I found the courage (thanks to Julia) to hug her right back! This was a really huge thing for me and it meant the world to me too! I wasn't able to chat with Amanda (b/c of my own nervousness) but I tried to put all the things I wanted to say into that hug.

Julia(samcarterrules)
              Thanks.

Amanda is a pretty receptive person. I bet she understood everything you were trying to say. She's an expert hug reader.
              William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

Does anybody have an absolute best moment from any of the Gabit events? Anything from the cons that causes you to go "Wow. That was it for me." I mean I know we all have a lifetime of memories whether we've been to one event, two, or even three... but sometimes I think there's always just one that has a special place.

My "best moment" happened the first time I met Amanda, at a Creation con in Chicago in 2004. But you asked for best GABIT moment. That's hard!

It's hard to choose between
                AT1 - Amanda's reaction to all our orange "Filadyne Hussy" shirts with quotes from The Void, curly whirly demonstration (thought Amanda was going to pee her pants!), or the hug during the photo op.
                AT3 - Auction: Amanda fangrrrrling with RDA on the phone, all the hugs whenever I won an item in the auction or Amanda's reaction to my saying RDA was "sex on legs".

But if pressed, I would say at the photo op when we hugged, parted a little and hugged again...and *I* went to let go first! Amanda wasn't done yet! (Usually that's me with hugs with my friends. I'll tell them, "I'm not done yet!" But Amanda "wasn't done yet"!)

A close runner up was at the cocktail party when Amanda came to our table. Amanda was meeting eyes with everyone around the table, and when she got to me, she broke out into this HUGE smile. Then as she sat down, she asked everyone how long they had traveled to get there; when it got around to me, I said 11 hours. Amanda asked, "Why so long?" I said, "Well, I *am* from California." She said, "I know, but it only took me 9 hours." Okay, it took me a moment to process that Amanda remembers where I live. It felt like we were just sitting around having a normal conversation over tea, you know?

If you want to know about our first encounter, I will tell the story, but I didn't want to hog the list.
                Welcome to MY life!

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post

They send out a questionnaire to get the feel (stoppp it, dirty minds!!) of people and know what to make. The charms are all handmade.
                  Do you really think they're all handmade? The reason I ask is because someone at another table had exactly the same charm I did...a puzzle piece. Which I wasn't sure if it meant I was puzzling or because I like puzzles. I gave them WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many things to choose from and should have limited my responses to my main interests (painting, writing, scrapbooking and genealogy).
                  Welcome to MY life!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSamFan View Post
                    Do you really think they're all handmade? The reason I ask is because someone at another table had exactly the same charm I did...a puzzle piece. Which I wasn't sure if it meant I was puzzling or because I like puzzles. I gave them WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many things to choose from and should have limited my responses to my main interests (painting, writing, scrapbooking and genealogy).
                    That's what I was told, anyway. But perhaps not, hmm?

I love my little froggie...

Next time I'm shooting for a ferret. HEH
                    Jenni

Comment

If you want to know about our first encounter, I will tell the story, but I didn't want to hog the list.
                      I know what happened.

And you are a champion hugger! You always make my eyes do this:
                      William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

Tell!!! We always love Amanda stories
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          Here's the Amazon listing:
                          http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-My-A...488320&sr=1-12
                          For anyone that's interested, here's a picture of the gifts that I sent to Amanda. I cross stitched the faces picture and the stocking.
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/rderoch/...69242065281346
                          Thanks rderoch!!
                          That cross stitch is just fabulous! I wish I had just an ounce of your talent!
                          It's hard to choose between
                          AT1 - Amanda's reaction to all our orange "Filadyne Hussy" shirts with quotes from The Void, curly whirly demonstration (thought Amanda was going to pee her pants!), or the hug during the photo op.
                          AT3 - Auction: Amanda fangrrrrling with RDA on the phone, all the hugs whenever I won an item in the auction or Amanda's reaction to my saying RDA was "sex on legs".
                          One: the mere thought of Amanda fit to burst is just too funny!! Scary...but funny!!
                          Two: "sex on legs"...now that is pretty darn close to accurate!! So...what was sher reaction??
                          Three: Please do tell...I love a good yarn as much as the next bloke!!!
                          I gave them WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many things to choose from and should have limited my responses to my main interests (painting, writing, scrapbooking and genealogy).
                          Oh boy...I have no main interests...well none that I'm aware of...well except of course Stargate and Sanctuary...I lead a rather boring life in comparison to most of you!
                          Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                          Tell!!! We always love Amanda stories
                          Yep...we sure do...so spill the beans MajorSamFan!!!
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

the charms are all hand made.

what happens is becky order a gross or two of charms - that's 144 x 2 or so, I understand that Sue helped her out this time beating the rings, Becky then takes the list of attendees, finds out thier interests, matches up a charm to the person, and puts it on the ring.

then someone - dunno who - prints out the label to put on the box and the charm that matches the person is put into the box

It's inevitable that there'll be some repeats. Especially for multi-attendees...after all, if you knit, there's only so many knitting charms out there.

and sometimes she can only be as perceptive as her information allows her to be...in other words if no one tells her what they like, they just guess
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I know what mine should be. But surprisingly it isn't. Because it's what I automatically would have said, and then I thought about it a little more and realised that although - beyond an amazing opportunity, there's just one that beats it.

It was when I was standing in line for the photographs at AT2. I was quite far back and it was the last few photographs of the day. I was sweating with nerves and shaking so bad and eventually I was next. I was crying even before I took my first step towards Amanda, I was just so overwhelmed. It was the first time I'd seen her, and now would be the first time I'd meet her. She hugged me so tight I thought I'd lose breath, but I couldn't stop shaking. And she said "Hi" and I said - *sigh* - "I'm from the same country as Ba'al and Hathor". *headdeask* She laughed and said "That those were the best ones" lol. Anyway, we took the photo (which is so bad btw due to the red face and the tears rolling down my cheeks) but whenever I look at it, it immortalises that moment for me. The very first time I met Amanda Tapping. That's my Gabit moment. The one that makes me think that even if nothing else had happened at any of the events, if I hadn't met so many amazing people, and formed such lasting friendships, that I'd come back again just for that moment.

Excellent but tough question. AT3 was my only Gabit/Stargate convention experience. I went into it not entirely sure what to expect. There were lots of special moments. The first was meeting Antoa very early on (along with Vikitty). It was nice to see a friendly face (even if we had never actually met). It kind of made me feel at home. Meeting Amanda Tapping for the first time was really nice (but at the same time wierd given the fact I'd watched her for so long on TV). Meeting fellow Samandans and others from all over the globe. Hearing Amanda's fabulous, funny and sometimes touching stories. The auction was wonderful and being called a rockstar by someone I admire so much was pretty cool.

However, if I have to pick one moment as a favourite it would be Starflight finding Antoa's poster and Antoa's joy and relief at it having been found. It is an absolutely fabulous drawing of Amanda and Antoa spent so many hours doing it. I know she was worried she wouldn't be able to get it signed (as was discussed on this thread) and then all the trouble and care of taking it overseas and carrying around on holiday before the convention. To have lost it just before the autographs would have been devastating. AT said it was the best drawing she had ever seen of herself and was happy to sign it. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!
                              Last edited by EH-T; 12 August 2008, 08:51 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                Excellent but tough question. AT3 was my only Gabit/Stargate convention experience. I went into it not entirely sure what to expect. There were lots of special moments. The first was meeting Antoa very early on (along with Vikitty). It was nice to see a friendly face (even if we had never actually met). It kind of made me feel at home. Meeting Amanda Tapping for the first time was really nice (but at the same time wierd given the fact I'd watched her for so long on TV). Meeting fellow Samandans and others from all over the globe. Hearing Amanda's fabulous, funny and sometimes touching stories. The auction was wonderful and being called a rockstar by someone I admire so much was pretty cool.

However, if I have to pick one moment as a favourite it would be Starflight finding Antoa's poster and Antoa's joy and relief at it having been found. It is an absolutely fabulous drawing of Amanda and Antoa spent so many hours doing it. I know she was worried she wouldn't be able to get it signed (as was discussed on this thread) and then all the trouble and care of taking it overseas and carrying around on holiday before the convention. To have lost it just before the autographs would have been devastating. AT said it was the best drawing she had ever seen of herself and was happy to sign it. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!
                                And then you met the Canada-haters and everything went down hill.
                                William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X