Page 1001 of 1268 FirstFirst ... 50190195199199899910001001100210031004101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 20,001 to 20,020 of 25342
    Air Force Chief of Staff Jumble's Avatar
    Trying to fill the gaping hole left by Athos

Default Re: GABIT attendees thread

Quote Originally Posted by llp View Post
    JUMBLE! - don't even think snow - you don't want to jinx us do you? Because of all this global warming crap there is no way to predict what the weather will be like anymore. In the states we have had weather to the extreme almost everywhere (not to mention earthquakes)! So no way to know! Here's hoping for a mild November next year!
    Jinx you? We're talking England in November - that's enough of a jinx in itself

Quote Originally Posted by Celandine View Post
    Argh. Was it November? I know this past February I barely got out of Chicago before a freakish blizzard blew in. Hasn't snowed like that they said in almost 45 years. I was literally on one of the last flights out of town as the first few flakes began falling from the sky outside the window on the plane.

Hope the UK doesn't decide to go and break any records next year November.
    Yep, we had it February and the previous November - so bring your skis and snowshoes If there's one thing certain about UK weather it's that there is nothing certain about it

Quote Originally Posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
    EH-T the prize is all the leftovers from the next chocolate party.
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumble View Post
    Jinx you? We're talking England in November - that's enough of a jinx in itself

Yep, we had it February and the previous November - so bring your skis and snowshoes If there's one thing certain about UK weather it's that there is nothing certain about it
    We Canucks will have no problem with the snow. My only concern would be that your airports is not equipped to handle it so it may cancel flights. Perhaps if we Canadians came early and had our shovels ready we could help out.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aronbw_rev.jpg

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Air Force Chief of Staff Jumble's Avatar
    Trying to fill the gaping hole left by Athos

Quote Originally Posted by EH-T View Post
    Excellent.

We Canucks will have no problem with the snow. My only concern would be that your airports is not equipped to handle it so it may cancel flights. Perhaps if we Canadians came early and had our shovels ready we could help out.
    I think our airports have learned from previous experience and are now more prepared, but I'm sure a few Canadians with shovels wood be very welcome

here. I think. *pause* Yeah, we'll go with that!

LOL - shovelling I can do - have had LOTS of practice over the years

Mocha - if you have to do a bank transfer again (my bank only charges $30 for the transfer, maybe I just lucked out on getting a reasonable banking institution?) make sure you have them exchange it into GBP *before* they transfer it over. Otherwise, they transfer the amount in US$ ... and it's exchanged the next day in the UK, when the exchange rate will be different, resulting in discrepancies

Hmmm ... Paris in early November. Cool! (I'm planning on visiting at least one other country on this visit too ... assuming I can get the holidays I'm hoping for, I'll have 17 days off this time around! Lots of time to get in some culture, eh? )
    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
    ames on facebook
    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Excellent.

Very cool.....I let you know what flight I'll be on so you can be sure to shovel it all away!

AT4 was in November and it was cold, but not freezing and no snow! I'll take some of the same please!

Sadly, it has been proven on a daily basis this year that in spite of all those politicians saying "There ain't no global warming" - they have all been proven to be the idiots I knew they were (unfortunately not everyone agrees so they are got reelected). So it is now getting almost impossible to predict the weather other then to say we will have some!
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32126&dateline=1361221980 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1361221980</a>

Hrmmmm... with AT6 being in November, that means I will need more warm clothes... which could justify be buying this gorgeous Aran wool hoodie I've been drooling over.

http://www.blarney.com/product_detai...eh4025/&bhcp=1

Not much occasion to wear that in SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by antoa View Post
    Hrmmmm... with AT6 being in November, that means I will need more warm clothes... which could justify be buying this gorgeous Aran wool hoodie I've been drooling over.

http://www.blarney.com/product_detai...eh4025/&bhcp=1

Not much occasion to wear that in SoCal
    Very lovely....consider that you might also use it when you visit MoB again - like in Vancouver!
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32126&dateline=1361221980 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1361221980</a>

Very lovely....consider that you might also use it when you visit MoB again - like in Vancouver!
    Word. I second that.

*high fives Laurie*

*low fives Antoa*

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

[QUOTE]
    Very cool.....I let you know what flight I'll be on so you can be sure to shovel it all away!
    I'd be happy to help.

AT4 was in November and it was cold, but not freezing and no snow! I'll take some of the same please!
    Everything is relative. I thought it was quite warm.

I'd be happy to help.

Everything is relative. I thought it was quite warm.
    Warm - no, but a jacket suited me fine and on the way back from the pub - didn't even button it up, but that could be because of other reasons!

Captain

i thought at4 was warmer than at5 in feb. i wish i had my winter coat for that trip.

I have realised I am going to be very busy in Nov 2012. AT6, girls' weekend and it will be the 100th Grey Cup (Canadian Football Championship). As it is a special year I had planned to attend. Better check the dates for that. Probably too much to ask for that it be the week after AT6, that way I could go to AT6, stay in London for the week after and then just stay in Toronto for the Grey Cup on the way back (since I have to fly through Toronto anyway). Off to check dates...

All this talk about the weather is making me nervous - any advice guys? Is it worth it to say a few extra days and chance the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by samcartersg1 View Post
    All this talk about the weather is making me nervous - any advice guys? Is it worth it to say a few extra days and chance the weather?
    The only person I know who can predict the weather will tell you what yesterday's weather was like...So my humble advise....do what you want to do, weather be damned and have a ball. AT6 - here we come (eventually)!

Quote Originally Posted by samcartersg1 View Post
    Fact is, the weather could be anything. Be prepared by having layers, add layers if it is cold, take off layers if is is warmer (being careful to keep enough layers on to be decent ).

The only real weather concern would be enough snow to shut down the airport so you could not fly in to London. Best way to deal with that is to come early, that way if your flight is cancelled you have a couple of days to try to catch another one.

And crap! The Grey Cup is November 25th. Going to be tough to do all three events in one month without being able to combine some trips. May have to make some hard decisions about what i attend and what I have to miss.

Fact is, the weather could be anything. Be prepared by having layers, add layers if it is cold, take off layers if is is warmer (being careful to keep enough layers on to be decent ).

And crap! The Grey Cup is November 25th. Going to be tough to do all three events in one month without being able to combine some trips. May have to make some hard decisions about what i attend and what I have to miss.
    *puts on a low growl* Don't even think about it...
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...ext_bubble.png
    Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post

the whole planet seems to be moving into a period of increased seismic activity. Haiti, china, chile, new zealand, now the US...the last couple of years it seems there's been an increase in earthquakes from one 'big' one every year or so to one every couple of months
    It's not uncommon for increased activity in numerous locations after very big earthquakes - it shakes the whole Earth not just where the earthquake is. Think of a stuck drawer, it needs a shake to get it moving, and so too the various faults which are 'stuck', give them a shake and they start moving.

I plan on coming over early; maybe around early October. I have been wanting to do a self directed tour of Medieval England. I been taking some college history courses in the subject. Fall will be great because the Universities will be in session and I hope I can crash in on some history symposiums in some of the places I plan to use as a base of operations as it were. York for one; great place!

It will also be just before my birthday; I deserve a present

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

my London in the fall survival kit....layers.

jeans, t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, water repellant jackets

I mean I did most of my sight seeing wearing one of two track suits with either a t-shirt or long sleeved insulated shirt and longies under it with a light jacket on the top.

i layered or unlayered as needed.

really it wasn't cold but damp and chilly....then hot in the tubes and warm in the various museums etc

I suggest, for sight seeing, check stuff out on a map, one location in the morning, lunch then one other then dinner....you need to factor in travel time...it can take you as much as an hour to get from point A to point B in London

basically sight see geographically.

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumble View Post
    I think our airports have learned from previous experience and are now more prepared, but I'm sure a few Canadians with shovels wood be very welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by ames View Post
    LOL - shovelling I can do - have had LOTS of practice over the years
    Breaking weather news: A group of fans attending a convention at the Renaissance hotel, descended upon the airport armed with shovels. A number of them were from Canada and the northern US. When interviewed, they stated they always travel in the winter months with folding shovels.

Warm - no, but a jacket suited me fine and on the way back from the pub - didn't even button it up, but that could be because of other reasons!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZNeep View Post

I don't think she that includes you, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    my London in the fall survival kit....layers.

jeans, t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, water repellant jackets

I mean I did most of my sight seeing wearing one of two track suits with either a t-shirt or long sleeved insulated shirt and longies under it with a light jacket on the top.

i layered or unlayered as needed.

really it wasn't cold but damp and chilly....then hot in the tubes and warm in the various museums etc

I suggest, for sight seeing, check stuff out on a map, one location in the morning, lunch then one other then dinner....you need to factor in travel time...it can take you as much as an hour to get from point A to point B in London

basically sight see geographically.
    Damp and chilly sums it up well. Never really cold, but the dampness would definitely get to you without a little insulation. I usually had on a sweatshirt and a jean jacket.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon