This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Credits: Letter Writing Campaign

Okay, I'm sure that by now quite a few people have heard about the opening credits of Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis being reduced from 60 seconds to 10 seconds, to make room for more commercials. The GW story is located here. This change has many of the Stargate fans understandably upset, and the thread for discussion of this topic is located here.

The SG-1 theme that we've known and loved for 9 years, as well as the Atlantis theme that captured our hearts after only one season and was recently nominated for an Emmy in the Outstanding Main Title Theme music category, are being written off by the Sci Fi Channel in favor of more time for commercials. My proposal is that we as a fandom rise up and do something about this. In addition to signing the Online Petition, I suggest we also use the tried and true method of a letter writing campaign. Electronic methods are a great start, but snail mail is a method that shows true dedication among the fans, and is more likely to get the attention of the Sci Fi Channel.

What I suggest is that we write one letter a week to the address I listed below. I propose writing it during the 50 seconds of additional commercials that will be aired on Sci Fi Channel, during each new episode of Stargate: SG-1 or Stargate: Atlantis. (I, personally, will be writing two letters a week, because I watch both shows, so I'll use both 50 seconds of ads to write! ) The letters obviously don't have to be long, but if you want to write during the full commercial break, I doubt anyone will object. I also suggest respectful letters. If you're angry, that's fine, let it show, (I know I will) but don't get mean and nasty.

I also think we should use this thread to share our methods of supporting Stargate, and letting the executives of Sci Fi Channel know how the fans are reacting. If you've signed the petition, tell us. If you've written a letter, let us know. I think if one person sends a single letter into the void, we feel like it's just a drop in the bucket, but if we can actually see the bucket filling up with water from the collective outpouring, we feel a little more empowered.

Anyway, I'll stop waxing poetic and just give you the address

Bonnie Hammer or David Howe
    c/o Sci Fi Channel
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    NY, NY 10112
    ATTN: Stargate
    Phone Number: 212-664-4444
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Last edited by Porthos1013; 14 July 2005, 07:10 PM.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Excellent idea! I previously proposed a similar solution that instead of individual letters, a longer letter with signatures of the fans at the bottom would be sent.

We could acquire as many signatures on a petition as we can- go to different fan-sites, have GW officially sponsor it, try having the Stargate stars sign/sponsor, ect. Then have a persuasive writer (I'm sure there are many among us) write a letter, with all the signature's attached, to each of the Sci-Fi Executives (mentioned previously on this thread) telling them we WANT our theme back, unless it is FINANCIALLY necessary to the show. I know we can't get it back for season 9/2, but we can try for season 10/3!
    Your idea, however, shows the fan-base is more dedicated (an entire letter instead of a signature), but individually more passionate as-well. To enhance this effect, could we consider combining the two techniques (Sci-Fi might start treating the letters like spam). Just an idea...
    Indoles Est Meus Mucro

Comment

you could setup an online petition at http://www.gopetition.com/
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

I signed the petition but is there anywhere UK fans can write to about this? Infact is the decision to cut the credits applying to both SciFi US and UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          I signed the petition but is there anywhere UK fans can write to about this? Infact is the decision to cut the credits applying to both SciFi US and UK?
          In the UK, you would have to ask Sky...they have a Viewer Relations email address - [email protected]

There wasn't a snail mail address listed on their website...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
          "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Flayum
            Excellent idea! I previously proposed a similar solution that instead of individual letters, a longer letter with signatures of the fans at the bottom would be sent.

Your idea, however, shows the fan-base is more dedicated (an entire letter instead of a signature), but individually more passionate as-well. To enhance this effect, could we consider combining the two techniques (Sci-Fi might start treating the letters like spam). Just an idea...
            Definitely! It sounds like a great idea!

Comment

Count me in!

Lets stick it to the man!

Comment

I've also emailed [email protected], although someone might want to double check that addy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatter
                  I've also emailed [email protected], although someone might want to double check that addy.
                  I checked around on their website, and that's the only addy I could find listed that somehow relates to their programming. Oh well, it's worth a shot, if you want to give it a try.

Comment

In honor of the ironic nomination of the SGA theme song for an Emmy, I created the following sig art. Feel free to snurch.

Comment

love the irony Porthos!

Comment

You would think that get the hint! Fans are outraged at the cutting of a theme that was nominated (if it doesn't win) for an Emmy, just for 50 seconds of ads! Do they want to kill Stargate!?
                        Indoles Est Meus Mucro

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatter
                          I've already emailed them twice since last night. I intend to continue sending them emails, until they hopefully correct the situations. stupid scifi execs...
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

First there were online petitions and mailings to Skiffy over the change in status of Aiden Ford, and now THIS?

You would think that get the hint! Fans are outraged at the cutting of a theme that was nominated (if it doesn't win) for an Emmy, just for 50 seconds of ads!
                            Hint? Personally, I coudln't care less. Could it hurt the show a little? Yeah, sure. Folks who haven't heard about the change might not know what the hell they are watching.

I suspect that Skiffy will write off any fans who are "outraged" over this when their show is STILL on the air, has one spin-off in its second season, and had new blood brought on board to re-invigorate it. They'll think such fans are looney tunes. When you look at the balance, they might be right to do so.

Do they want to kill Stargate!?
                            Yep. They'd be right to do so.

Put that in your letters. I'm sure it will make them take you all the more seriously.

Originally posted by Seastallion
                            I've already emailed them twice since last night. I intend to continue sending them emails, until they hopefully correct the situations. stupid scifi execs...
                            Great.

All this will do is further desensitize Skiffy from mail and e-mail about legitimate gripes. Aiden Ford isn't a regular... "WAAAAAH!" They changed the credits... "WAAAAAH!" What next?

So feel free. Spend your credibility now on the credits and they'll be sure to ignore you when there is a change (or, heaven forbid, a cancellation) a few years from now.

Do you have a legitimate beef? Maybe. Is it worth making a stink over? Hardly.

Comment

Come on BD, the season opener of SG-1 was bad enough, without having it's trademark theme butchered.

However, even with the usual opening credits, nothing could have saved that show, except Ben Browder and he tried valiantly. BUT, I did sign the petition (days ago) and have emailed SciFi and the ever greedy Bonnie Hammer.

(And as you always hate DB, that's JUST MY OPINION! )
                              On fighting:
                              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                              X