No announcement yet.

The Siege, Part 3 (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful episode... Frenetic is the word I was looking for. A ZPM at last! Our resident fruitcakes, screw-ups and nutjobs live to fight another day with the help of the Daedalus and the Asgard (it would appear). I am intrigued about o'l Hermie... who voiced him? For a moment there, I thought Hermie was going to throw Novak off the ship... I would have...

Rodney highlights include: Dirty Harry wannabe NOT; "It's a city... not a yoyo"
    Rodney/Zelenka chemistry was a lot of fun...

Ford looking like the Phantom of the Opera... grim and very creepy. More creepy than the Wraith actually considering he used to be cute and cuddly. All kudos to RSF... He had Beckett shaking like a leaf. Very nice to see that bond between Sheppard and Ford come into play here as well.

Teyla cracked a funny... Good... gives one reason to hope...

Sheppard returns from the dead... I mean, did we really think he was going to the happy hunting ground...
    Sheppard highlights include: "Do you know another Sheppard?" and "Hello, I'm home"

Weir... I'm liking her more and more every time... She's loosening up majorly (sorry no pun intended). Nice little moment there with Sheppard.

Finally, the special effects were amazing... the city, the shields, the weapons, the Daedalus, the Wraith ships...

*Sigh* Now I remember why I love Atlantis...

Edit: The scene with Everett... I was right! I knew it was coming... the reprieve that Sheppard was perhaps searching for! It's good to be right... some of the time, anyway...
    Last edited by Easter Lily; 16 July 2005, 05:20 AM.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

On par with the anxiety I felt from the Storm/Eye eps! I found myself on the edge of my seat, even tho I had read some teaser details ahead of time!!

Originally posted by Easter Lily:
      Wonderful episode... Our resident fruitcakes, screw-ups and nutjobs live to fight another day with the help of the Daedalus and the Asgard (it would appear).
      Easter Lily, I totally admire how you express certain things...

Siege 3: a few other items...
      Novak (scientist technician from SG-1) with the hic-cups, and a new team member (Hermiod or Hermod?... throwing a fit, too!). I see a positive engineering dynamic there...

...and I was right about Col.Everett's wraith encounter! What I didn't expect was what he ultimately told Sheppard. It almost made me cry. Thought Shep was about to cry as well... Wow! Maybe now the truth will finally be put into writing at the SGC...? It looked like Everett was either having residual nervousness reactions or he developed Parkinsons from the incident?

Lt. FORD: creepy. Notice how no one dared putting into words how much they noticed the facial differences in Ford when he finally showed up "for duty!". One way not to take orders from anyone ever again. Even McKay got creeped out.

Oh, and speaking of... McKay: *sparky* as usual. Yep, the guy who can't even pull a gun from his holster (or loses the magazine faster than being able to shoot... the Defiant One ep: is probably the Exception to this rule)

Amazing how a ZPM would suddenly become Rodney's new source of adrenaline (forget the caffienated coffee, working ZPMs are MUCH better!). Funny too, with his shameless "you must protect me at all costs!" -for an instant, he forgot about the ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
        and how is Ford able to fly the Jumper? Don't you need the Ancient gene?

Ace
        Just because Ford was never shown flying the Jumper doesn't mean he doesn't have the gene. If you were with a flying ace like Sheppard, you'd sit shotgun too.

I agree, it was a bit of an inconsistency, but it's not fatal.
        ~*~*~*~*~*
        not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Wow. . an episode where I can't find anything to criticize. My quick take:

Sheppard and Weir. What can I say. I'm not a "ship" fan overall, but this one just seems natural in a way. Maybe it is just two good actors working well together, maybe it is good writing, maybe a combo of both. I actually like their interaction (worried about self. .*LOL*).

Sheppard and Everett. .very touching scene and Sheppard gets the forgiveness he needs.

McKay drops the clip from his gun. Waaa - Hewlett is so incredible. Liked having Teyla save him. I have seen complaints on GW that there has been no interactions between Teyla and McKay - so TPTB gave us a bit and it was good to see. They CAN work together.

I thought the Daedelus was cool and Mitch did a great job. Heck, I even liked Novak!

My only nitipick (and a small one at that) was using Teyla to inflitrate the Wraith mentally. That was so "Babylon 5ish" But that is teeny pick..

And the one thing we all knew COULD happen. . .if given the chance. . Rainbow is a very good actor!

Everyone who worked on this episode can pat themselves on the back. It was very well done.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by keshou

And Caldwell was wonderful. Tough military guy but not the caricature that Everett was. I never watched X-Files so was not familliar with Mitch Pileggi's work but i thought he was awesome.
            Mitch is good stuff. Thank God he got this show, and thank God this show got him. It's synchronicity. I knew he'd be good. He was even better than I thought he'd be. And, by the way, he is still Teh Sexy. ::: fangurls wildly ::::

And now, I have to drive 14 hours to get home and watch this over and over and over again on my TiVo.

I want screencaps desperately.
            ~*~*~*~*~*
            not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

The Shep/Weir stuff was the biggest downside of the entire ep. I liked the ten-second opening better than the shippy moments- that's how much I hated it.

I managed to rationalize it away as Weir simply being really happy to see one of her lost ducklings returned to her, but it's a very flimsy explanation, especially given the fact that a majority of TPTB are shippy to their core. The hug, the moment, the look... it all lasted a little too long for my tastes and please, dear gods above, have mercy and DO NOT ADD SHIP TO ATLANTIS!!!

Leave the "moments" SUBTLE and open to interpretation. PLEASE!

Comment

I too loved the episode and agree with many of the comments already made.

Although a good issue was raised about Ford and flying the jumper - he specifically mentioned he did not have the gene in Hot Zone - so we can only conclude he got the innoculation shortly thereafter.

The Everett scene was very predictable but I guess necessary.

And I did think Teyla's communication with the Wraith was a little too easy - before they took over her - now she just pops in and delivers a message?

Good parts:
                The characters well all true to their selves - except Ford who is now a new self - but Francks got more acting in this ep than in all season 1 combined.

Rodney & the gun - lol

Weir & Sheppard hug - I think just friendship but it is good for friends to care about each other

I think Sheppard and Beckett showed real character strengths this ep. Sheppard has a quiet way about him but you can tell a lot of intense thinking is going on - he felt Everett's "loss" in the way an officer respects superior officers and for Ford in the way a superior officer feels the loss of someone under his command.

Beckett, bless his heart - he was nearly strangled and had a bullet whiz by his ear and yet you could tell he was still concerned about what would happen to Ford without medical help. Interesting that Ford knew that threatening another patient would work better than threats against Becket himself.

Comment

I'm usually the last person to see ship. But I swear I saw it being set up last night with the whole "hug" scene. I like the strong personal bond Shep and Weir are forming - I just hope they don't go the shippy route and screw it up like they did with the whole S/J thing. Subtle and open to interpretation would be best. And I hope to heck they don't set up some sort of triangle thing with Shep/Weir and Teyla.

I mentioned the opening credits in that "credits" thread but it bears repeating here. They were awful. Was that 10 seconds? Felt like 3. I'd rather see no credits at all then that horrible mutilation of Mr. Goldsmith's lovely Emmy-nominated theme song.
                  Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

The Ford thing needs to be resolved. I doubt it will, though. I guess we're just supposed to accept that he can magically fly the jumper now.

As for the enzyme thing... I guess what's bugging me about that is that whatever it was in his system affected him enough to alter his physical appearance. There's a wraith-like cast to one side of his face. Hell, even one eyebrow is all long and thin, now. That, to me, implies that there has been some kind of significant change to his system and that, I think, is something that should be noticed by the jumper systems.

Did Ford say in Hot Zone that he never tried to get the Ancient gene, or that it didn't take or what?

Still, the ep was a good one for the most part. If I hadn't watched BSG right after it, I might have thought even better of it, but alas, BSG blew it out of the water without even trying.

re: Hermie- there's an article on Gateworld that discusses the guy who does Hermie's voice. He's a veteran voice actor, if I remember correctly.

And the credits thing... I didn't even see any names until Nykl's... and I didn't see any names after his, either. Wonder what that means.

Comment

I did a google search for 'Hermod'.

Apparently, 'Hermod' is the son of Odin and Frigg and the messenger the the gods. He went to Hel to try to get Baldar to be allowed to come back to the world of the living. They said he could if every living thing would weep for him, but one giantess posing as Loki wouldn't, so Baldar had to stay dead until after Ragnarok.

'Messenger of the gods' is probably the significant part, seeing as how he was the one sent to Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        That's a thing I forgot. Even if Ford got and accepted the Ancient gene ... he also had Wraith enzymes. And isn't Ancient tech supposed to lock out Wraith?
                        From what we've seen in the show, the Ancient devices look for a specific marker gene to determine who is an Ancient (or related to them). It's pure speculation but I assume it does the same to identify Wraith: it looks for a specific "Wraith marker" gene(s), which doesn't seem to apply in Ford's case because he only has Wraith enzymes (enzymes being proteids that have a catalistic role in biological reactions).

On the same topic, though,
                        Spoiler:
                        I don't know how Ancient tech can work with Shep since he obviously has had his DNA altered to something much closer to the Wraith by the "38 minutes" bug
                        "Guinness [...] a refreshing substitute for ... food."
                        Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

A bunch of thoughts from me:

-Great special effects this ep. I was actually eh on the Daedalus/wraith battles, but the Atlantis shield effect was wonderful, especially that shot where McKay and Shep were watching the Hive bombardment from the inside. Great nuclear bomb also!

-Will there be repercussions with the nuclear blast? Does the cloak protect against nuclear fallout? What about the surrounding ocean? Is the mainland close enough that the Athosians have to worry?

-Everyone had something to do this ep. Shep piloted the PJ and went with Caldwell to attack the wraith. Rodney put the shield up and implemented the bomb attack with Zelenka's help. Carson tended to Ford and the other wounded. Teyla hunted down wraith and plugged into their mental network. However, Weir had a much more passive role this ep; waiting for updates, roaming the city for details, and giving the approval for Shep and Rodney's nuclear bomb plan. It seemed odd compared to Siege 2, where she actively helped by going to the Genii.

-Caldwell actually chewed up more scenery for my liking this ep. Perhaps that's because he hasn't morphed into ass-buster yet.

-McKay was at his cranky best this ep, crossing over to just plain pissy. Loved how he expected the security detail to protect him over the ZPM. Loved his thumbs-up to the soldiers' hand signals. Loved his "snap" comment to Weir. But having him drop the gun clip when the wraith approached seemed downright odd. Defiant One showed that he did have at least some gun experience, at least to not do something that newbie. Perhaps it could be blamed on his lack of sleep/stress/stimulants, but I though it was out of place. He was at his finest when developing and implementing the nuclear bomb plan.

-I vastly prefer the calming, rational Carson in the sickbay compared to the frantic Carson seen at the beginning of the ep. More please!

-Ford's physical and mental changes were well done and I look forward to seeing more of him.

-Always nice to see Zelenka.

-Looks like TPTB may be playing around with Shep/Weir, Unfortunately, that generally means that the S/W ship, which was under the radar in season one, now may get TPTB's idea of subtle: a hammer over the head. The hug, coupled with Very Emotional Music, is a good example of that for me. If the season is heading this way, I may have to invest in some brain bleach...

-I love a cranky Asguard. And was that the hiccup gal from SG1? Nice tie-in.

-Did anyone else think the background music was a tad too loud compared to the dialog in most/all of this ep?

-The 10 second intro was awful. Way too fast. Hopefully an Emmy win will convince SciFi to start showing the full intro.

-New SciFi commercial bits featured Shep and Weir, Carson and Weir, and Dex and Teyla. Please tell me I missed a bit with McKay when I was getting a snack or something. Please don't tell me there wasn't one. Come on, Dex but no Rodney??

Comment

Oh, man. Oh, man. Oh, man. Between this and the SG-1 episode, I can officially say last night was the best night of Sci-Fi new episodes I've ever experienced. (And the BSG ep was great, but let's not delve into that here, heh heh.)

Just... wow. I, uh... 'The Eye' was my favorite until now but it just got blown away by the powerful storm that is 'The Siege, Part 3'. I am very impressed and again wish I could get into the forum last night -- most has already been said that I wanted to say! Heh heh.

Let's see... the Ford arc is already frakkin' sweet, the new ship is a lot cooler than I'd been expecting, the space battling scenes were likely the best the Stargate franchise has done yet, methinks, the character interactions were superb, the humor was awesome -- McKay when he went up against those two Wraith was hilarious -- everything here.

And I have to say, the moment between John and Elizabeth when he stepped through was brilliant. I'm officially a shipper for them now.
                            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

i noticed the saluting thing too... need a strait hand, middle finger touching the brow...and so the regulations go on...

for the episode...i think this has the start of an excellent season... cant wait
                              "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

I loved this episode very much so. The effects, the plot in general, the humour. I was nearly on the floor when McKay started yelling at the two Wraith and then the gun fell apart. Funny.
                                Now all I have to do is get my parents to sit down and watch it... lol, my mum keeps calling the Wraith "rifraf," oddly.

I need to watch it again... I've been deprived or Stargate for a while so I'm glad the season premiere was an exceptionally good ep. This'll go down in my books as a favourite.
                                (I'll probably have watched 4 times in total this weekend; I watched it twice on Friday. )

Comment

Working...
                                X