No announcement yet.

Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved this episode. I think Daniel was wonderful trying to convince the Doci that they would be wasting their time coming to our galaxy. MS did a great, understated job all the way through. Plus he looks gorgeous in leggings and tunic

I loved Vala; she is becoming more sympathetic but still has that necessary edge. Loved her lying on the table while Daniel studied the book.

I'm growing to like Mitchell very much. His protectiveness of people who aren't quite on his team yet is very endearing. While he's very energetic, he's not stealing the show at all; he's making me like him by his actions and attitude. Landry is becoming more 3-dimensional for me too. I like his cadence and intonation; it's interesting.

My mind wandered during the Jaffa stuff. Will have to watch that again.

I am sooo grateful we got a nice scene between Jack and Daniel. I was afraid it would be all superficial jokes, but there was so much depth there. I love that Daniel got Jack to admit he wasn't sorry that Daniel had missed the Daedalus. Of course he wasn't sorry!

I agree the scene with Mitchell and Jack was very flat. Jack just didn't seem to care to be there.

The Ori are truly a scary, formidable enemy. However, I think the preachy talk could get very boring very quickly. There's no shades of gray to it, and if they overdo it the Ori will become caricatures. But so far, so very good.

Michelle

Comment

I liked it.

I thought it was a good introduction to the new enemy--an enemy that is scarier than the Gou'ald. As someone said, pretenders are not nearly as frightening as true believers.

I think the new folks are settling into their characters. I especially liked Landry this week.

MS and CJ were great as usual.

Vala was funny without being too OTT. The Adam/Eve/apple reference was kind of cute given that Daniel was reading from the book of Origins. (Genesis)

I have to admit that I was a little nervous when Bible thumpers were discussed--but the last briefing room scene saved it. (Bad pun, sorry) It was nice to see some respect for the idea of the existence of God. As a Christian, that's all I ask for.

RDA looked very tired, but it was nice to see him again.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the beginning of season 9.

Jace
      Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Yeah, I liked him in this ep, he seemed to chew the scenery a lot better than a lot of the System Lords I've seen on SG-1, and I hope his character is the face of the Ori for at least a few eps. Course, the British accent helped to make them a bit more menacing to me.

Comment

Wow. I'm practically speechless. What a great 'ending' to the trilogy. The Boys at Bridge were right about this being some of Michael's best work; he's absolutely phenomenal!

I love the Orii, the Doci (Julian Sands? I didn't recognise him!), the proctors(?), fantastic bad guys.

I like how Vala has turned a bit more serious as the episodes have aired.

The pacing/editing and suspense in all three episodes is just excellent. I was in tears when Daniel and Vala finally switched places with Harry and Sally and I realised the other two were going to die. I didn't even really know them, and it still hurt!

I think one of the things I've really liked about these past three episodes, and especially Origin, is that everyone acts like they CARE what happens to each other. Mitchell didn't want to leave Daniel and Vala to go to the planet and collect the Proctor, and Landry told Daniel and Vala he was glad they were all right. This was all *Personal* rather than anonomous battles in space.

We're getting to know these people as they get to know each other which makes us care about them.

Very very good work by Cooper. It harks back to Maternal Instinct and the great episodes he wrote in the early years.

I was extremely disappointed in RDA's cameo; if he's going to be in the show, then he should actually be in the room with the person he's supposedly acting with. His lines were wooden, HE looked wooden and there was simply no life there. Especially when compared with Michael Shanks who's acting did seem real and natural.

Dana Jeanne
          Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033
            Ack, O'Neill doesn't have enough TIG to make Major General. :b

One could argue that they represent Muslims, or Jews. Y'know, since they all preach the same things. Don't go labeling it anti-Christian half-cocked. But this isn't the Politics board, so I digress.

The alabaster Rings were pretty neat.
            It's not anti-christian. What I said, was that it seems custom tailored to make unreasonable people think it is, in order to garner negative press from 'uncool' people and bolster ratings. It's a press strategy I'm going to coin 'The Graft Theft Auto strategy'. Get kids to like something by making their parents really, really hate it.

As for similarity to christians...they seemed like evil alien missionaries. Especially the priars. Come on, I kept expecting one of them to say "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

Our chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and strange pupilless eyeballs..our two wepaons are surprise, strange pupilless eyeballs, and cool force tricks...THREE weapons...

Not modern christians, of course. Except that some of their language seems frighteningly similar to...(nope, not getting into that). As Mitchell said, "This guy sounds like my Grandma".
            Last edited by Bobthespirit; 29 July 2005, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Definitely the best episode of the three parter so far (which definitely got progressively darker).

And ya know, these Ori are the first SG villian to really be truely frightening- and it's not just the Jeremy Irons looking fellow either.
              The idea of religious fanatics and (insert religious text of your choosing)-thumpers actually being able to wield and inflict the "righteous" power of their doctrine to enforce their beliefs upon people is truely terrifying.
              And the fact that they have the ability do so upon fairly advanced and educated civilizations really steps them up a few notchs from the Goa'uld, who relied on more primitive and ignorant societies to achieve the same effect.
              Add to that the "pretenders" vs "true-believers" aspect pointed out by otehr posters here, it adds up to one scary big baddie

"Hey- what the hell are you doing here?"
              "Nice to see you too."

"Well, I suppose after you've saved the world 7 or 8 times..."
              "Well, who's counting?"
              "Teal'c, actually...he mentions it quite a bit."

Comment

Originally posted by The2ndQuest
                Definitely the best episode of the three parter so far (which definitely got progressively darker).

And ya know, these Ori are the first SG villian to really be truely frightening- and it's not just the Jeremy Irons looking fellow either.
                The idea of religious fanatics and (insert religious text of your choosing)-thumpers actually being able to wield and inflict the "righteous" power of their doctrine to enforce their beliefs upon people is truely terrifying.
                And the fact that they have the ability do so upon fairly advanced and educated civilizations really steps them up a few notchs from the Goa'uld, who relied on more primitive and ignorant societies to achieve the same effect.
                Add to that the "pretenders" vs "true-believers" aspect pointed out by otehr posters here, it adds up to one scary big baddie
                They're scary, all right. They just don't really have a lot of characterization beyond being evil. All the gu'ald had distinct personalities...all the Ori have the same personality, which is frankly, a very cheesy personality. They have the same MO as the Vorlons but don't have that cool vague doublespeak that made it okay for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                  Liked the IDEA behind the Jack scenes. Didn't like the execution of them one bit. Obvious use of stand-ins...seems they did the best they could, but still...Pity RDA hadn't had more time to wake up from his nap before shooting began. I honestly wondered if he was feeling well when this was shot.

Vala and the apple made me laugh. Taking a bite and offering it to Daniel. Garden of Eden, anyone? Apparently Daniel got the analogy as well.
                  RDA just looked like he didn't feel comfortable. I don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but as a viewer, that Jack and Daniel scene was just very uncomfortable. I still have the earliers seasons to comfort me...

When Vala grabbed the apple I cringed. Just as eating the apple in the garden of Eden preceding humans learning of evil, Vala's snacking preceded the introduction of the Orri (sp?). I figured her choice of snack wasn't a coincidence.

Catherine

Comment

I seriously hope Earth does mess up and send the Ori to the Ida Galaxy and Pegasus Galaxy as well.

Anyways, there are other threads to add on. *cough* Origin Episode thread *cough*

Comment

I hope they mine the whole aspect of the Ori thinking they are in the right ....one thing the Goa'uld lacked was personality; they sorta knew they were evil but wanted to keep the power.

I thought an ep coming from the perspective of a newly "Priored," young and passionate Prior who gets captured by SG-1 and can't 'flame-on' yet, possibly stick him in a room with Daniel trying to get info from him/debate the whole Ori issue would be cool.

Comment

okay, just finished watching it -

i liked it. not overwhelmingly, but that's hard happen without my loves of this show (sam, jack, and sam/jack). but the show's writing is wonderful, and every new thing and person is connecting.

one scene i didn't care for was when lam was being argumentative with landry about disconnecting daniel and vala. whether she's having probs working with her dad, shut it down and be professional.

i'm glad we had more time with landry. *hugs beau bridges*

>always< glad to see more of mitchell. (so glad they hired ben browder)

not enough teal'c.

lou gossett could act while in a coma and still impress me.

vala was good.

jack... he was bland, just like in the jack-landry scene in avalon 1. i don't like that. (((((rda)))))

as for next week's previews... this overabundance of daniel and vala is starting to make me .

i miss (((sam))).

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

I think it's going to be funny watching the Ori's followers try to tell the Asgard that they have to believe in them etc.etc. I can just hear Thor now...
                          Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

^^^
                            LOL @ Thor vs. Ori!!!

This ep was good, although *sigh* the Goa'uld were just defeated, the Replicators gone, could we have a cold war instead? LOL, the work is never undone, so its "Wraith for Atlantis" and "Ori for SG-1"...

..I wish SG-1 had a policy like Starfleet in Star Trek had after the disastrous first contact with the Klingons...COVERT SURVEILLANCE first!!!! Don't give away your name, identity, planet of origin...

...but then we wouldn't have an alien super-race building a fleet of ships to attack us now wouldn't we!!!

This episode was very interesting, sad to see the two 'avatars' that Vala and Daniel inhabited die though, plus the other guy.

As for religiousity, I think the Priors are indeed a send-up of 'Crusaders' or any other type of religious zealot who would destroy all 'nonbelievers.' And the Ori vs. Ancients are like the Prophets vs. Pah-Wraiths in Star Trek: DS9. The end opens the door to other faiths, or non-faiths.

One thing that disturbs me deeply is the Jaffa leaders' willingness to entertain thoughts of joining the Ori religion...scary.

I also would not like to see the Ori become another Goa'uld-size dominant force in the galaxy. It would make SG-1's work over the years meaningless.
                            sigpic

Comment

Overall I enjoyed tonight episode. MS slowed down enough that you could understand what he was saying tonight. I liked Avalon pt 1 was a little disappointed in part 2 but Origin was better than last week. So far we are of to a pretty good start for a 9th season. I like Vala more this season than I did last year and think she would be a good reaccuring character. I would like to see CJ have more to do, so far this season we have seen/heard very little from him. I'm beining to like Mitchell. RDA's role/performance was a disappointment tonight. Hopefully we will see him again one day on Stargate and he will be back to the Jack that we have grown to love over the last 8 seasons. I am really missing Carter though and look forward to her return.
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Liked the IDEA behind the Jack scenes. Didn't like the execution of them one bit. Obvious use of stand-ins...seems they did the best they could, but still...Pity RDA hadn't had more time to wake up from his nap before shooting began. I honestly wondered if he was feeling well when this was shot.
                                Yeah, well, I have to agree with you there. I understand the man not wanting to do this anymore, but if he agreed to film a couple of scenes he could at least have SHOWED UP and done the job they were paying him for.

Vala and the apple made me laugh. Taking a bite and offering it to Daniel. Garden of Eden, anyone? Apparently Daniel got the analogy as well.
                                LOL at this, too. The symbolism was quite blatant.

I did like this ep-mostly. MS looked yummy and that was a big part of it-- shallow, I know.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of problems arise between Teal'c and Garak and the Jaffa leadership.

And I just realized that I didn't miss Sam at all.

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

Working...
                                X