Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
    I think I know where they're going for with this. You see, they want to make villains who are similar enough to Christians to piss off Christian protest groups enough to try to get the show banned.
    Interesting thought. So how are the Ori similar to Christians? Even if you draw the parallels to the Crusades and the Inquisition, that's hardly something I think current Christians would want to identify themselves with. It would be like them saying "Look at how horribly hypocritical we used to be...." And of course there have been (and possibly currently are) other religions that teach that all nonbelievers should be killed as well. I just don't see anything in the makeup of the Ori that couldn't be applied to virtually every major religion throughout history at one point or another. There probably have been exceptions, but I'm not an expert.

I think this is the drama that some folks have been looking for so far this season. Me likey.
    The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Yes, i can relate that the action is good. But i guess in all honestly when the Start of SG1 came around I was really excited and then i didnt like the way it started out. Still to this day my least favorite Season is Season 1 of SG1, with the exception of Major Story Arcs. As the seasons progressed the stories became better. Atlantis seems to of been the same way IMO. The Season 9 start is like a new show. Stargate The Next Generation if you will. Just give it time. As always... Hallowed are the Ori. Why wouldnt SG1 Season 9 will be just.

Comment

Maybe i'm stepping on some toes, but there's a little thread devoted to episode discussions, unless this thread is for a different purpose?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ewpost&t=13899
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

This was a great episode, but I agree with the Christian comment to an extent. Maybe they want to be a Blue state show? JK

Really though, they have set up great potential for this season through these first 3 episodes.

Comment

ehh i dunno ill jump over there from now on i just wanted to know if people still think the season will be a fluke like some do. Not really any peticulars

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
              I would have to disagree here. The little snippets of Jack in these episodes is a Jack I never knew. The guy looks half asleep. I love Jack but if he is going to sleepwalk through his scenes then he shouldn't be around at all. The word that comes to mind is "sad".

On the episode, it was GREAT. Unlike some past seasons, this one appears to be getting better and better with each episode.
              Well i never said i did like 'Jack' for that short cameo, because yes, i did see what you said, 'half asleep'. It was just simply nice to see RDA.

Also, MS's talk speed slow down this week? Haha...
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

First, I know this is extremely redundant at this point, but I thought a proper post clearly marked as spoilage was appropriate considering all of the conversation tonight's episode is sure to create for weeks to come.

Wow, this was a really strong episode and served as a great finish to the S9 opening arc. Some will no doubt think this is just SG1 rehashed, but it's evident that TPTB thought this out and really wanted to introduce something into the show that would give it legs for years to come. It can be said many ways in more words, but this solidifies the feeling so far this season that the show will definitely be fresh this year.

The prior burning, was that simply teleportation? Perhaps he saw potential in Gerak when he seemed so angry at the General and decided to seek him individually out first.

How long before Gerak pledges his and his people's allegiance to the prior(s)? He seemed ready to drop to his knees at first sight, even after saying he wished to challenge the prior, we didn't see that from him.

How good are the confrontations between Gerak and Teal'c going to be this year? This was set up rather nicely IMO, from the Avalon up to now. Seeing CJ spar with LGJ will definitely be entertaining.

What is a prior? I mean, how is it they come to be, are they the person they were before, simply bestowed with those awesome powers? Or are they slightly possessed in a way that does not fully make them an ascended being, allowing them to influence us?

Will we see the priors interact with the wraith this year on SGA? Clearly the events of tonight's episode impact the entire Stargate universe, being in another galaxy will surely by them time, but how much?

If they can possess the powers we saw within a mortal body like we saw tonight and in Avalon 2, how powerful will their ships be?

How long before we see an Alteran explain the whole schism (for lack of a better term) first hand?

Will we see more evidence of this higher power discussed at the end of the episode this season?

So many more questions too, a very good episode...

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                  I would have to disagree here. The little snippets of Jack in these episodes is a Jack I never knew. The guy looks half asleep. I love Jack but if he is going to sleepwalk through his scenes then he shouldn't be around at all. The word that comes to mind is "sad".

On the episode, it was GREAT. Unlike some past seasons, this one appears to be getting better and better with each episode.
                  i totally agree with you about RDA. I also think if they were going to write a Jack and Daniel scene it would have been nice to see some friendly-brotherly love type dialogue.
                  And I personally haven't missed Sam. Landry Teal'c Vala Mitchell ALL AWESOME!!

Comment

This'll probably get merged with the Episode topic, but what the hey.

Gerak didn't seem like he was ready to bow down to me.

Priors seem to be Hok'Taur for lack of a better term. Advanced Humans. Not ascended, but possessing powers like Cassandra or Jonas in "Prophecy".

I doubt they'll do any Orii stuff on Atlantis.

Comment

Another good question is when did the differences between the Ori and Alterans begin? And why do the Ori have a thing about fire? We've seen the Ancients as humans, we know the Alterans built the stargates now, so it seems they came here before ascending.
                      The questions just keep piling up.
                      We look for things.
                      Things to make us go. [INDENT]--The Pakleds

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. The Ori actually felt like a true meancing enemy, something I haven't seen in Stargate for a while. The Gou'ald after season 2, really became predicatable, defeat one, a more powerful one comes along, rinse and repeat. But the Ori seem different to me, true fanatics that won't stop because SG-1 happesn to kill a few of thier followers.

I also the RDA scenes as sort of passing the torch. That really came through in the scene with Mitchell and my take on the scene with Daniel was just a couple of buddies that would hang out whenever theygot together.

Overall, I'm happy with the direction season 9 has been going and can't wait to see the rest of the season and I really hope they go past season 9.

Comment

Damn this show is getting better as it goes on

and Vala didnt make me cringe at all again

Comment

Did you see the grings that the Priors used? More ivory than granite.

Comment

I somewhat liked Origin. Um, a few thoughts:

*The Ancients protected us from the Ori...at least they've done something with their lazy ascended selfs!
                              *The Ori remind me somewhat of Anubis with the whole taking over another body, but overall, they seem like the Goa'uld, but more sophistiacted
                              *Gerak, I do not like him all that much.
                              *Vala just makes me laugh and love her more and more this season.
                              *Mitchell just talked too much about his grandma. Got annoying.
                              *Smart idea Mitchell had with throwing the device into the Stargate vortex...so cool!
                              *The ending with Jack was really good. I loved it! It reminded me of Full Circle in the elevator..."Nice to see you too."

Overall, an okay episode. Um, 7/10 for me. The Ties that Bind I hope will be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
                                I think I know where they're going for with this. You see, they want to make villains who are similar enough to Christians to piss off Christian protest groups enough to try to get the show banned.

These guys are just as over the top as the gu'ald but with less engaging personalities. I don't think the Ori are very interesting villains. And honestly, I'm not interested at all to see how this plays out. It looks to me like Ori won't be able to attack them directly, but they will be able to send armies (Because of the other ancients).

Wow...I just thought of something. In the Stargate world, there really *is* a war against men of faith! (Unlike the real world, where that's all a bunch of crap).

Hmmm, they don't seem similar to Christians to me. They seem more like Buddhists or Hindus (but not really those either) with their push towards "enlightenment." I must say that I am VERY intrigued by this season and am interested to see what happens next.

The Ori seem like Goa'uld in some ways, but different in a very sinister, powerful way. I can't quite put it into words, yet--I have to think about this episode some more.

As far as a war against men of faith--maybe not so much in the US and Europe, but the Fulong Gong and Christians in China, black Muslims, Christians and Animists in the Sudan, Christians in any number of places, Hindus, etc. all are persecuted and killed for their faith in many countries. It may not be an organized war, but they are being attacked, nonetheless.

I agree the Ori are not very engaging (they could all use a good personality transplant), but I do find them interesting. I'm not sure we've seen enough of them to figure out whether they can carry the season, but I'm more than willing to find out.
                                Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 29 July 2005, 06:15 PM. Reason: stupid typos!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Working...
                                X