No announcement yet.

Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I've been lurking for the last couple of months while watching SG1 (for the first time, all the way through) on DVD. Finally had to unlurk to mention:

1) I can't believe no one has commented on Romi (Andromeda) joining the show!
    2) Yes, RDA was totally flat and disinterested. I think it's on purpose. To both make the current batch seem more interesting, and to show that Jack really lived for the SG1 action.
    3) "I'm Hungry" was a perfect response. It's their SG-1 in-joke; they use it anytime they're at a loss for words; food always makes things better.
    4) Still not used to Aeryn Sun flirting with anyone other than Crichton when they're both on screen. Miss the Farscape crew.

5) I'm so late to the party

Comment

Ori getting worse and worse.
      If the stargate had stayed buried SG1 wouldn't have had to fight - oh, no, Stargate wouldn't have been made and nobody would write here. So it's good that nobody stayed out of nobody's turf.
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

Why didn't they take the time ship back a few days and warn themselves not to use the stones. Could've prevented this whole mess.

Comment

Not sure if they still had it after the finale of S8..

BUT that doesn't mean they couldn't have used the gate and a solar flare to do the time jump..

Comment

I believe the time ship had been lost after the events of Mobious. And using solar flares is very random
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Not sure if they still had it after the finale of S8..

BUT that doesn't mean they couldn't have used the gate and a solar flare to do the time jump..
              I'm not sure if they have the technology to know when there's a solar flare, they needed the Aschen tech in "2010"...or??

Comment

Well, since by then they had a good amount of lore ON that phenomenon, i wouldn't have been surprised to see it that they had some tech to preplan when one might be...

Maybe not to the level we saw used in Stargate Continuoum, but at least something they could use to plan their own travel around..

Comment

The Ori are pretty cool. I'm actually really liking this season second time round. I think it's because I'm not watching Atlantis at the same time so I'm far less distracted

Comment

Oh goddess, how much I detest organized religion.

For all those, unable to hear one more "Hallowed are the Ori", you seem quite okay with a singular "amen".

Anywho... the Ori show their true faces and that they don't take kindly to opposition or non-believers. They obviously also don't take "no" for an answer.

They are just going to get in our way, except with a little more power than the Goa'uld ever could. If you have the power of ancient ascended beings behind you, that's nothing like a snake in the head.

Yup, we've got our work cut out for us again and don't have to count on the ancients coming to our aid since they don't like to interfere much with lower planes of the existence.

How would you rate SG-1's "Origin?"

Excellent

Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible

*** EDIT 1 ***

Oh, forgot to mention a tiny continuity mistake I spotted.

When Vala glances into the mirror, she sees Sallis again, but when Daniel passes in the background, it's his reflection in the mirror and not Harrid's.

*** EDIT 2 ***

The story the Prior is telling on the planet in our galaxy sounds ridiculously Christian... Petrus and the rock
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 July 2020, 10:34 AM.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I believe this episode was planned as Avalon, part 3. They wanted to write a two parter, but then the story was enough for 2.5 episodes, so they have further extended it with the introduction of Mitchell in Avalon, part 1. I am not 100% sure about this, but that is how I remember.

I liked the new scarry enemies. And finally we have seen a different ascended group. Light, fire, darkness. I wish we could see more in future spinoffs.

I didn't like how O'Neill was written in this episode. He seemed was not interested at all how Daniel has talked about his fears. I would expect more after 8-9 years of service together.

O'NEILL
                      Listen, I just had a briefing with Landry…about…your stuff.

DANIEL

(voice trails off)

Yeah.

O'NEILL
                      Sounds like it could be a problem.

DANIEL

(shrugging)

Well, we've been up against some pretty bad guys before.

O'NEILL
                      Yeah, not so pretty. Overdressed, yes.

DANIEL
                      Been through some tough situations.

O'NEILL
                      That we always won.

DANIEL

(with a self-conscious smile)

Yeah…but didn't you feel that was because we had someone looking out for us?

[O'Neill looks at Daniel shrewdly.]

DANIEL
                      I don't think I would say this to anyone else, but for the first time, I'm scared.

[O'Neill raises his eyebrows. Daniel looks away and sighs.]

O'NEILL

(after a pause)

I'm hungry.

[Daniel looks back towards Jack, and after a moment, smiles slightly.]

DANIEL

(nodding)

Me too.

[O'Neill gestures towards the door with his head.]

O'NEILL
                      Wanna?

DANIEL

(shrugging)

Mm-hmm.

[They leave the office.]

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

I believe his cameo was wasted and they should have written later a more Jack centric goodbye episode during the season.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        I believe this episode was planned as Avalon, part 3. They wanted to write a two parter, but then the story was enough for 2.5 episodes, so they have further extended it with the introduction of Mitchell in Avalon, part 1. I am not 100% sure about this, but that is how I remember.
                        I'm very happy they took their time with the start of the new seasons. I had forgotten that the first three are linked together as one story (with a TBC at the end). It makes for proper storytelling.

And yes, Jack at the end was a bit oddish, and possibly a little out of place perhaps.

3-episode quiz: Avalon I, Avalon II & Origin

Jigsaw puzzle: Origin

Comment

8:16
                          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

The way the story goes is that when Robert Cooper was writing Avalon he realized that it was too long. Brad Wright told him to make it longer so extra scenes were added. I don't think it was the Mitchell flashbacks. Those are pretty piviotal to his character.

As for Origin, I absolutely love this episode. It does a good balance of action and story building through Daniel to tell us who the Ori. Its not misguided but they clearly want us to worship them. One thing that was never answered is how they learned of our location but that is fairly minor. I always liked the Prior in the Milky Way because it shows us how Garek is an antagonist.

I call this an excellent with a perfect quiz and 4:12
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              One thing that was never answered is how they learned of our location but that is fairly minor.
                              Minds were read...

DANIEL

(smiling tentatively)

Hello. I'm uh—

DOCI
                              Daniel Jackson.

DANIEL

(nonplussed)

Right.

DOCI
                              From the planet Earth.

DANIEL
                              Okay. So you know my name and where I'm from, so I assume you'll also know how I'm connected to this man's mind. Why I'm here…uh. You see, we're…we're explorers. We'd very much like to get to know you. Um. Your society. How you came to be.

DOCI
                              A Prior has been dispatched to the place from whence you come.

Later in the season, Orlin said that a Prior's entire life was an open book to him as soon as that Prior arrived in the Milky Way, so either the Ori used that same ability to read Daniel and Vala's minds and relayed what they learned to their followers, or they gave the Doci the ability to read minds.

Comment

A small oversight... that whole reading minds thing...
                                Not something they have any defense against -- I doubt tinfoil hats are gonna work here.

Comment

Working...
                                X