No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 2 (902)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC it was explained later that since the stones were only in one device (earth) they were the prominent power, so that meant daniel/vala took over the bodies on the other side.. As we saw a little later, when they got the Ori one up and put the stones in we got two way comms for a brief second.

Comment

Great episode, good introduction to the Ori. Even though "Hallowed are the Ori" is already getting on my nerves.
      And the puzzle thing was pretty lame. Indiana Jones did it way better LOL. And Vala took the gold coin, that was just STUPID.

But overall a good episode, I enjoyed the book they discovered- finally an explanation of the ancients.
      Political Jaffa, and Dr. Lee and Dr. Lam. What else can we wish for?

Lots of unanswered questions, though:
      How did the stones even get there?
      What about the Alterian ship, that brought them from the milky way?
      Why can't the Ori sense the underground group?

I'm sure the explanations will follow, but now I'm gonna watch some SGA

Comment

Why can't the Ori sense the underground group?
        Ascended beings get a greater understanding.. not god like omnicience.

Comment

Great two parter

Claudia Black totally stole these episodes. Her chemistry with Michael Shanks is absolute golden. As missed as Richard was to no longer be a regular, for Amanda to be on Maternity leave and for Teal'c to have quite small screentime, i felt Black and Shanks carried the early episodes of season 9 incredibly well.
          Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
          Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Great two parter opening.
            I watched Season 9 on three afternoons/evenings during the summer vacation and Hollowed are the Ori really got on my nerves.
            All in all I like Season 9 very much - thanks to getting the band together again.
            I like BB as Mitchell - well, I've already written that.
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

I agree with you S9. Compared to the previous season, it was nice to finally go offworld
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Hallowed are the ori!!!

Comment

Hallowed are the Ori!

Hello new enemy... and what an enemy it is, using religion to demand subserviance.
                  The Ori even say it's forbidden to learn about the past or at least from before they say they created humans.

Sounds familiar...

Anywho, they find the treasure inside Glastonbury hill and find a device not like anything else among the treasured items. A communication device which so happens they have the stones for. Daniel and Vala then transfer into the bodies of Harrid and Sallis, and from there we catch a first glimpse of the Ori religion, which shows remarkable resemblances to one particular religion quite common on Earth, burning people for not conforming to their religious standards.

That scene with Vala watching the fire approaching and her burning -- it still gives me chills all over. It's a scary thought but it works wonders on keeping the people underneath their power.

First time too we see Doctor Lam. I wasn't a particular fan of her the first time I watched season 9 but I know find I don't have the same averse feelings and quite like having her around. She's a good character and fits in quite well.

How would you rate SG-1's "Avalon, Part 2?"

Excellent

Good
                  Fair
                  Poor
                  Terrible
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We used to have an experiment in school when we have burnt a little piece of human hair. It smells horribly. Then I can only imagine how horrible this execution must have been in history. Brrr. This scene was so well done! The music and the acting. When Claudia is screaming there is a brief scene where they have showed some shocked extras (villagers). I am not surprised as the burning stuntman made an extreme convincing job as a human tirch. It still hunts me when I rewatch this scene.

Which country will get the treasure from the cave? UK or the USA?

I like the introduction of this new transphase-hologram type of technology as well. It is advanced enough to turn into solid and dangerous, but it is harmless for observers. I like this concept.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think I don't want to imagine the smell of a human burning. Thank you very much.

Though I have to say that Sallis and Harrid should have been showing signs of burning when they are both surrounded by the fire. The heat alone should have done them in, and same with the smoke. They would have been coughing already before the fire hit them in the inner circle.

3-episode quiz: Avalon I, Avalon II & Origin

Jigsaw puzzle: Avalon, part II

Comment

Sorry. Humanity was always creative about such things. You know even animals don't do such things with each other. Normally the victim has already died from the smoke on the pyre. This scen has setup a new tone for Stargate as we haven't seen such violent content before and I am not so sure it is not PG15. Even if people were eaten by Wraith or taken as a Goa'uld host, this is a whole new level of cruelity as it was commited by other humans. Maybe that was the key element as it was more shocking.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I just finished watching The Hunger Games again.
                          People are capable of far more cruelty than burning people alive.

Comment

4:06
                            Last edited by Who Knows; 14 July 2020, 03:54 AM.
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Its honestly not a fair comparison to compare human brutality to the rest of the animal kingdom.

I really love this episode for the introduction of the Ori. Its really creepy to see how the Ori did the same thing as the Ancients did but with none of the moral reservations. I always liked the Catholic Church feel to this society and learning their mystery even if we don't know everything yet. And yes the setting on fire was brutal but no worse than some of the Middle Ages tortures. I think Daniel is what really sold this episode. The SGC stuff is largely background setup for Origin.

Its a good with 2 minutes and 22 seconds. I'm disappointed for Who Knows getting that close to me
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I'm disappointed for Who Knows getting that close to me
                                Oh, I am truly sorry Jel, I will slow down a bit so you can beat me by more & still look good again
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X