Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627
Results 521 to 535 of 535
  1. #521
    First Lieutenant Anja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vierhöfen (northern Germany)
    Posts
    659

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Great opening of season 9. Good new characters, for me BB is neither a copy nor a clone of O'Neill. I like him because he is different and because he doesn't hide his excitement as far as his new job is concerned.
    Vala - fresh air and so sexy!
    Landry - nice character with hidden humour

    Nice interaction of those who weren't believed of interacting again.
    Funny elements, exciting flashbacks and an adventure interrupted by 'to be continued.
    I was looking forward to the rest of season 9.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

  2. #522

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    This season began so incredibly weird, Im still accommodating to the fact that Moebius killed all of SG-1, and now we're seeing a Fish-infested doppelgänger timeline and a Fish SG-1, compared to our previous non-fish SG-1.

    In many ways, I feel like Threads was the end of SG-1 as we knew it. Took them 8 years to become friends.. and I guess that's the whole message of SG-1, them learning to be a team and be friends.. beyond being a team. Now, season 9 looks like it's about to be an extended epilogue.

    Loved Vala, but it's weird. Everything is weird.

  3. #523
    General hedwig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula - huggling trees
    Posts
    23,186

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcinilux View Post
    This season began so incredibly weird, Im still accommodating to the fact that Moebius killed all of SG-1, and now we're seeing a Fish-infested doppelgänger timeline and a Fish SG-1, compared to our previous non-fish SG-1.

    In many ways, I feel like Threads was the end of SG-1 as we knew it. Took them 8 years to become friends.. and I guess that's the whole message of SG-1, them learning to be a team and be friends.. beyond being a team. Now, season 9 looks like it's about to be an extended epilogue.

    Loved Vala, but it's weird. Everything is weird.
    What doesw "fish-infested" mean?

    And they were friends long before the end of 8 years. I think it only took a couple of years to be friends, as well as teammates.

  4. #524

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    What doesw "fish-infested" mean?

    And they were friends long before the end of 8 years. I think it only took a couple of years to be friends, as well as teammates.
    Haha just a small reference to O'Neill's lake, that now has plenty of fish in the doppelgänger timeline.

    And you know? I think it's the other way around... I mean Daniel and Jack were never.. friends, like, they bickered, and they fought, eventually developed a sort of mutual respect, and understood why they were both needed in the team and how they balanced each other. (Took them a while since the movie)

    But it wasn't until O'Neill took a step back from the group that we can see Daniel sort.. bloom, and flourish, and actually speak to Carter and Teal'c about himself and his experiences. I guess because, without Jack, Daniel doesn't feel bullied anymore. And Jack understands his team can take care of themselves without him.

    That's why I think they actually showed friendship in that last Threads episode. Not just teammates, actual friends.

    And you know, that's what "Stargate: SG-1" should be all about, the members, because where the Stargate is the main character of the franchise... Seeing these characters finally overcome their differences and understand that these past 8 years have built a much stronger bond, beyond their reassignments, deaths, losses, relationships and planets... it's what SG-1 is all about.

    In.. my humble opinion lol <3

  5. #525
    General hedwig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula - huggling trees
    Posts
    23,186

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Actually, there were several instances of comments by members of the team regarding their friendship.

    From the transcript of "Nemesis", Season 3, when Jack invited Sam to go to his cabin with him:

    CARTER
    Was that an invitation…sir?
    O'NEILL
    Nothing wrong with that is there? A couple of coworkers, friends if you will, fishing. It'd be fun.
    On several occasions, Jack referred to Teal'c as his friend.

    In Season 1, "Fire and Water", Jack's behavior when he thought Daniel had died was not one of a person mourning a co-worker. It was the behavior of person who felt the loss very deeply of a friend.

    While Jack and Daniel did butt heads a lot, at the end of the day, they were still very good friends, more like brothers than co-workers.

    In Season 6, "Full Circle", when Sam, Jack and Ska'ara are talking about Ska'ara's upcoming wedding:

    SKAARA
    Will you be coming to my wedding alone?
    O'NEILL
    Ummm…
    [Carter walks up to them.]

    O'NEILL
    I assume Carter's invited too?
    SKAARA
    Of course. Will you becoming together?
    O'NEILL
    As in?
    CARTER
    Friends going to a wedding.
    Even though she was his Second in Command, Jack considered Sam to be a friend.

    From Season 7, "Fallen", where Daniel has returned to earth and he and Jack are talking and Jack is trying to see what, if anything, he remembers about his life before he ascended, and Jack says:

    O'NEILL: "You were a member of my team, SG-1. You're a friend of mine. Last year, you died."
    And later in that episode, when Sam and Daniel are talking:

    JACKSON: "Samantha Carter?"

    Sam stops at the tent entrance and turns back to Daniel.

    CARTER: "Yeah?"

    JACKSON: "Was there ever anything...between us?"

    CARTER: "Us, uh...no, no, not in that way. We - we were really, really good friends."
    I'm sure there are other instances of a comment being made about the friendship between the four of them, but those are the ones that stick out the most.

  6. #526

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcinilux View Post
    This season began so incredibly weird, Im still accommodating to the fact that Moebius killed all of SG-1, and now we're seeing a Fish-infested doppelgänger timeline and a Fish SG-1, compared to our previous non-fish SG-1.

    In many ways, I feel like Threads was the end of SG-1 as we knew it. Took them 8 years to become friends.. and I guess that's the whole message of SG-1, them learning to be a team and be friends.. beyond being a team. Now, season 9 looks like it's about to be an extended epilogue.

    Loved Vala, but it's weird. Everything is weird.
    Gosh, I guessed I was so shocked I forgot that.
    It's hard to see the adventure of that half-team... Yeah because I keep waiting for Sam and Jack to come in...
    Maybe it helps to consider those two last season as a distinct show; how should we call it ? "Stargate Forever"
    Weirdish ? Well, that's the feeling I have watching it anyway..

  7. #527

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Razibot View Post
    Maybe it helps to consider those two last season as a distinct show; how should we call it ? "Stargate Forever" Weirdish ?
    Wasn't it supposed to be called something different originally? I don't remember.

    But I would imagine anyone on the other 1000 SG teams being pissed that some newbie with 0 experience gets to lead the flagship team. They weren't even asked to audition for it which made no sense. Ok so original SG-1 is no more and they all moved on. Then SG-2 should have moved up and become SG-1. Instead Mitchell has to pick people from the comedy club rather than experienced people from the other teams. When did the writers stop treating this part of the show seriously?

  8. #528
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,292

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Yeah, it was supposed to be a spin-off called "Stargate Command," but the Sci Fi channel wanted to stick with the "winning name," so it became season 9 of Sg-1 instead.

    As to the Mitchell thing, I was more annoyed that he remained in charge after Carter returned. They had that line about him not technically being able to give anyone commands since Teal'c and Daniel were non-military and Carter was the same rank, but he was still the team leader and consistently told everyone what to do. Given Carter's far more extensive field experience and the fact that she already served as team leader in season 8, Mitchell should have taken a backseat when she returned.

    Before then, letting Mitchell lead Sg-1 and giving him a collection of oddballs to interview worked for me because it demonstrated the diminished importance of the Stargate Program following the defeat of the Goa'uld. The SGC also had to contend with the recent loss of personnel to Atlantis (for a second time) and to the Daedalus as the perception was that that was where the action now was. This all segued nicely into the dispute over whether the SGC should continue to get full funding and the introduction of another major threat that forced the issue and brought the band back together.

    As far as renaming an existing SG team, who knows what state teams like Sg-2 were even in at that point. If you weren't on Sg-1, your mortality rate was pretty high, and Sg-2 may also have broken up after the fall of the Goa'uld for all we know, so some Sg-2 team members may have been greener than the choices Mitchell was given. His first two interviewees were socially awkward, but it did seem like they logged a lot of off world time and were good at what they did. Put Mckay or Ronon in that situation and they wouldn't come off any better, but they're invaluable in the field.

  9. #529

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    As to the Mitchell thing, I was more annoyed that he remained in charge after Carter returned. They had that line about him not technically being able to give anyone commands since Teal'c and Daniel were non-military and Carter was the same rank, but he was still the team leader and consistently told everyone what to do. Given Carter's far more extensive field experience and the fact that she already served as team leader in season 8, Mitchell should have taken a backseat when she returned.

    Before then, letting Mitchell lead Sg-1 and giving him a collection of oddballs to interview worked for me because it demonstrated the diminished importance of the Stargate Program following the defeat of the Goa'uld. The SGC also had to contend with the recent loss of personnel to Atlantis (for a second time) and to the Daedalus as the perception was that that was where the action now was. This all segued nicely into the dispute over whether the SGC should continue to get full funding and the introduction of another major threat that forced the issue and brought the band back together.
    Never made sense to me that Carter stayed with the SG-1 team after Beachhead. That she is needed for that mission, fine. But Area 51 with all the alien toys is like sending a kid to a candy store. Never mind that as diminished as the SGC program has become, and Carter being one of the big brains, that Homeworld Security/Pentagon would waste her on SG-1 seemed bonkers to me. But if the show had to shove her back in the team, even though she is wasted there now, she should have absolutely have command. Mitchell is both inexperienced and immature/irresponsible and if Hammond/O'Neill had been in charge still, they would have canned him from his position as leader. But Laundry does nothing more than stand around with an open mouth being completely ineffectual so that's probably why Mitchell kept command.

    As far as renaming an existing SG team, who knows what state teams like Sg-2 were even in at that point. If you weren't on Sg-1, your mortality rate was pretty high, and Sg-2 may also have broken up after the fall of the Goa'uld for all we know, so some Sg-2 team members may have been greener than the choices Mitchell was given. His first two interviewees were socially awkward, but it did seem like they logged a lot of off world time and were good at what they did. Put Mckay or Ronon in that situation and they wouldn't come off any better, but they're invaluable in the field.
    There were so many SG teams, I'm sure enough were left for a 4-5 person team. Plus the Russians got at least one team in the earlier Seasons. What annoyed me wasn't so much the interviewees themselves but that it played like a comedy hour of stereotypes. If they needed someone for science, why not bring back Hailey for example? We already know her from S5/6. She wasn't after all with Atlantis or any other program we are aware of.

  10. #530
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,292

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by gate101 View Post
    There were so many SG teams, I'm sure enough were left for a 4-5 person team. Plus the Russians got at least one team in the earlier Seasons.
    Many teams were specialized in some way. You had marine combat units and then things like scientific, medical, and diplomatic teams. Very few were exploratory teams like Sg-1 and Sg-2. Still, I'm sure almost all of the existing teams were fully staffed at that point as well. The point I was trying to make was that between fatalities and transfers, the people on existing exploratory teams may not necessarily have been more experienced or capable than those in the pool of individuals who put in for a transfer or had been waiting for an SG position to open up. If, for example, Sg-2 just filled a spot or two within the last few months and had a bunch of turnover in the preceding years, building Sg-1 from scratch might be a better way to create the best team possible.

    What annoyed me wasn't so much the interviewees themselves but that it played like a comedy hour of stereotypes. If they needed someone for science, why not bring back Hailey for example? We already know her from S5/6. She wasn't after all with Atlantis or any other program we are aware of.
    Assuming she's still alive and the actress was available, I don't see how it serves the story for Mitchell to interview established characters who have proven themselves to the audience. Is it then about how he interviews people he likes and rejects them anyway because they're not SG-1 or do these likeable characters get to join but are pushed aside in favor of Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c when the Ori threat becomes apparent? I don't see any way to have people like Hailey interview for the job and for it to go over well considering the end goal was the band coming back together.

    In any case, it came across as fairly typical SG-1 humor to me. It's the type of thing that Jack is usually made to deal with because he would add on to the scene with his reactions as opposed to playing it straight like Mitchell, or most of the others for that matter.

  11. #531

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Assuming she's still alive and the actress was available, I don't see how it serves the story for Mitchell to interview established characters who have proven themselves to the audience. Is it then about how he interviews people he likes and rejects them anyway because they're not SG-1 or do these likeable characters get to join but are pushed aside in favor of Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c when the Ori threat becomes apparent? I don't see any way to have people like Hailey interview for the job and for it to go over well considering the end goal was the band coming back together.

    In any case, it came across as fairly typical SG-1 humor to me. It's the type of thing that Jack is usually made to deal with because he would add on to the scene with his reactions as opposed to playing it straight like Mitchell, or most of the others for that matter.
    It doesn't matter to me that he interviews anyone. I just have a problem with that scene in general. I've been getting tired of the school yard humor they started ever since they brought in the geek squat and focused on them in episodes, bumbling their way through extreme danger (or the episode with one of them and his assistant and the Carter/assistant cat fight). This is a military operation for crying out loud. Same way that Dr. Lee was nothing but a supposedly smart scientist who was there for jokes and nothing more.

    And while sure this might be something they may have had Jack do (especially in S8), that's Jack. Mitchell is not supposed to be Jack. I think my point is simply that I don't care for this juvenile humor (with stereotypes on top of it) when dealing with a military operation. If the show doesn't take it's basic premise seriously enough, why should I care for any of it?

  12. #532
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,012

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    VALA!!!

    And off we go with season 9 of SG-1. I have to say, first and foremost, that Mitchell and Vala saved SG-1 from this point forward. They were like a fresh new wind blowing through the show and I started to enjoy it again, and as I watch season 9 for a first time since it aired, I still feel the same about it.

    It's good to see Mitchell's origin story (in a manner of speaking) so early on. It gives us some idea where he come from and how he managed to come in the spot where he's going to lead SG-1. His face though when General Landry tells him that the original team has disbanded. Poor puppy.

    Also... Vala is back! Will never get tired of her comments.

    So, Cameron manages to get the team back together (sort of) to find Ancient treasure at Glastonbury Tor, after Vala brings them a tablet with ancient text. Daniel gets into translation mode and off they go.

    Obviously solving riddles inside the hill does not go as planned with Cameron guessing what the order of the puzzle is, and Daniel trying to not get killed by Vala's misfortunate "How much worse can this get?".

    Also... "Bullets bounce!" -- that little smile on Teal'c's face...

    How would you rate SG-1's "Avalon, Part 1?"

    Excellent

    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  13. #533
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,929

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    I still believe they should have spent one or two episode at the end of season 8 or at the beginning of season 9 to tell what has happened. I love Vala and Cameron as they have brought some fresh energy into this Stargate : Command "spinoff" (alias SG-1 season 9 and 10).

    RDA should have had a larger role for a proper good bye. His scenes were rather cameos instead of a proper storyline.

  14. #534
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,012

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    RDA should have had a larger role for a proper good bye. His scenes were rather cameos instead of a proper storyline.
    In all honesty, he was doing the cameo's in season 8, which is a season which I feel was wasted because they kept SG-1 mostly out of the field with Jack being commander of SG-1.

    ****

    3-episode quiz: Avalon I, Avalon II & Origin

    Jigsaw puzzle: Avalon, part I
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  15. #535
    Second Lieutenant Who Knows's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Avalon, Part 1 (901)

    4:16

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Similar Threads

  1. The Tok'ra, Part 1 (211)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 2
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: August 26th, 2019, 07:54 AM
  2. Evolution, Part 1 (711)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 7
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: August 21st, 2019, 01:46 PM
  3. The Tok'ra, Part 2 (212)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 2
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: April 17th, 2019, 03:41 AM
  4. Redemption, Part 2 (602)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 6
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: October 28th, 2018, 02:04 PM
  5. Redemption, Part 1 (601)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 6
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: October 28th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •