Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcinilux View Post
    This season began so incredibly weird, Im still accommodating to the fact that Moebius killed all of SG-1, and now we're seeing a Fish-infested doppelgänger timeline and a Fish SG-1, compared to our previous non-fish SG-1.

In many ways, I feel like Threads was the end of SG-1 as we knew it. Took them 8 years to become friends.. and I guess that's the whole message of SG-1, them learning to be a team and be friends.. beyond being a team. Now, season 9 looks like it's about to be an extended epilogue.

Loved Vala, but it's weird. Everything is weird.
    Gosh, I guessed I was so shocked I forgot that.
    It's hard to see the adventure of that half-team... Yeah because I keep waiting for Sam and Jack to come in...
    Maybe it helps to consider those two last season as a distinct show; how should we call it ? "Stargate Forever"
    Weirdish ? Well, that's the feeling I have watching it anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by Razibot View Post
      Maybe it helps to consider those two last season as a distinct show; how should we call it ? "Stargate Forever" Weirdish ?
      Wasn't it supposed to be called something different originally? I don't remember.

But I would imagine anyone on the other 1000 SG teams being pissed that some newbie with 0 experience gets to lead the flagship team. They weren't even asked to audition for it which made no sense. Ok so original SG-1 is no more and they all moved on. Then SG-2 should have moved up and become SG-1. Instead Mitchell has to pick people from the comedy club rather than experienced people from the other teams. When did the writers stop treating this part of the show seriously?

Comment

Yeah, it was supposed to be a spin-off called "Stargate Command," but the Sci Fi channel wanted to stick with the "winning name," so it became season 9 of Sg-1 instead.

As to the Mitchell thing, I was more annoyed that he remained in charge after Carter returned. They had that line about him not technically being able to give anyone commands since Teal'c and Daniel were non-military and Carter was the same rank, but he was still the team leader and consistently told everyone what to do. Given Carter's far more extensive field experience and the fact that she already served as team leader in season 8, Mitchell should have taken a backseat when she returned.

Before then, letting Mitchell lead Sg-1 and giving him a collection of oddballs to interview worked for me because it demonstrated the diminished importance of the Stargate Program following the defeat of the Goa'uld. The SGC also had to contend with the recent loss of personnel to Atlantis (for a second time) and to the Daedalus as the perception was that that was where the action now was. This all segued nicely into the dispute over whether the SGC should continue to get full funding and the introduction of another major threat that forced the issue and brought the band back together.

As far as renaming an existing SG team, who knows what state teams like Sg-2 were even in at that point. If you weren't on Sg-1, your mortality rate was pretty high, and Sg-2 may also have broken up after the fall of the Goa'uld for all we know, so some Sg-2 team members may have been greener than the choices Mitchell was given. His first two interviewees were socially awkward, but it did seem like they logged a lot of off world time and were good at what they did. Put Mckay or Ronon in that situation and they wouldn't come off any better, but they're invaluable in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          As to the Mitchell thing, I was more annoyed that he remained in charge after Carter returned. They had that line about him not technically being able to give anyone commands since Teal'c and Daniel were non-military and Carter was the same rank, but he was still the team leader and consistently told everyone what to do. Given Carter's far more extensive field experience and the fact that she already served as team leader in season 8, Mitchell should have taken a backseat when she returned.

Before then, letting Mitchell lead Sg-1 and giving him a collection of oddballs to interview worked for me because it demonstrated the diminished importance of the Stargate Program following the defeat of the Goa'uld. The SGC also had to contend with the recent loss of personnel to Atlantis (for a second time) and to the Daedalus as the perception was that that was where the action now was. This all segued nicely into the dispute over whether the SGC should continue to get full funding and the introduction of another major threat that forced the issue and brought the band back together.
          Never made sense to me that Carter stayed with the SG-1 team after Beachhead. That she is needed for that mission, fine. But Area 51 with all the alien toys is like sending a kid to a candy store. Never mind that as diminished as the SGC program has become, and Carter being one of the big brains, that Homeworld Security/Pentagon would waste her on SG-1 seemed bonkers to me. But if the show had to shove her back in the team, even though she is wasted there now, she should have absolutely have command. Mitchell is both inexperienced and immature/irresponsible and if Hammond/O'Neill had been in charge still, they would have canned him from his position as leader. But Laundry does nothing more than stand around with an open mouth being completely ineffectual so that's probably why Mitchell kept command.

As far as renaming an existing SG team, who knows what state teams like Sg-2 were even in at that point. If you weren't on Sg-1, your mortality rate was pretty high, and Sg-2 may also have broken up after the fall of the Goa'uld for all we know, so some Sg-2 team members may have been greener than the choices Mitchell was given. His first two interviewees were socially awkward, but it did seem like they logged a lot of off world time and were good at what they did. Put Mckay or Ronon in that situation and they wouldn't come off any better, but they're invaluable in the field.
          There were so many SG teams, I'm sure enough were left for a 4-5 person team. Plus the Russians got at least one team in the earlier Seasons. What annoyed me wasn't so much the interviewees themselves but that it played like a comedy hour of stereotypes. If they needed someone for science, why not bring back Hailey for example? We already know her from S5/6. She wasn't after all with Atlantis or any other program we are aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by gate101 View Post
            There were so many SG teams, I'm sure enough were left for a 4-5 person team. Plus the Russians got at least one team in the earlier Seasons.
            Many teams were specialized in some way. You had marine combat units and then things like scientific, medical, and diplomatic teams. Very few were exploratory teams like Sg-1 and Sg-2. Still, I'm sure almost all of the existing teams were fully staffed at that point as well. The point I was trying to make was that between fatalities and transfers, the people on existing exploratory teams may not necessarily have been more experienced or capable than those in the pool of individuals who put in for a transfer or had been waiting for an SG position to open up. If, for example, Sg-2 just filled a spot or two within the last few months and had a bunch of turnover in the preceding years, building Sg-1 from scratch might be a better way to create the best team possible.

What annoyed me wasn't so much the interviewees themselves but that it played like a comedy hour of stereotypes. If they needed someone for science, why not bring back Hailey for example? We already know her from S5/6. She wasn't after all with Atlantis or any other program we are aware of.
            Assuming she's still alive and the actress was available, I don't see how it serves the story for Mitchell to interview established characters who have proven themselves to the audience. Is it then about how he interviews people he likes and rejects them anyway because they're not SG-1 or do these likeable characters get to join but are pushed aside in favor of Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c when the Ori threat becomes apparent? I don't see any way to have people like Hailey interview for the job and for it to go over well considering the end goal was the band coming back together.

In any case, it came across as fairly typical SG-1 humor to me. It's the type of thing that Jack is usually made to deal with because he would add on to the scene with his reactions as opposed to playing it straight like Mitchell, or most of the others for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
              Assuming she's still alive and the actress was available, I don't see how it serves the story for Mitchell to interview established characters who have proven themselves to the audience. Is it then about how he interviews people he likes and rejects them anyway because they're not SG-1 or do these likeable characters get to join but are pushed aside in favor of Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c when the Ori threat becomes apparent? I don't see any way to have people like Hailey interview for the job and for it to go over well considering the end goal was the band coming back together.

In any case, it came across as fairly typical SG-1 humor to me. It's the type of thing that Jack is usually made to deal with because he would add on to the scene with his reactions as opposed to playing it straight like Mitchell, or most of the others for that matter.
              It doesn't matter to me that he interviews anyone. I just have a problem with that scene in general. I've been getting tired of the school yard humor they started ever since they brought in the geek squat and focused on them in episodes, bumbling their way through extreme danger (or the episode with one of them and his assistant and the Carter/assistant cat fight). This is a military operation for crying out loud. Same way that Dr. Lee was nothing but a supposedly smart scientist who was there for jokes and nothing more.

And while sure this might be something they may have had Jack do (especially in S8), that's Jack. Mitchell is not supposed to be Jack. I think my point is simply that I don't care for this juvenile humor (with stereotypes on top of it) when dealing with a military operation. If the show doesn't take it's basic premise seriously enough, why should I care for any of it?

Comment

VALA!!!

And off we go with season 9 of SG-1. I have to say, first and foremost, that Mitchell and Vala saved SG-1 from this point forward. They were like a fresh new wind blowing through the show and I started to enjoy it again, and as I watch season 9 for a first time since it aired, I still feel the same about it.

It's good to see Mitchell's origin story (in a manner of speaking) so early on. It gives us some idea where he come from and how he managed to come in the spot where he's going to lead SG-1. His face though when General Landry tells him that the original team has disbanded. Poor puppy.

Also... Vala is back! Will never get tired of her comments.

So, Cameron manages to get the team back together (sort of) to find Ancient treasure at Glastonbury Tor, after Vala brings them a tablet with ancient text. Daniel gets into translation mode and off they go.

Obviously solving riddles inside the hill does not go as planned with Cameron guessing what the order of the puzzle is, and Daniel trying to not get killed by Vala's misfortunate "How much worse can this get?".

Also... "Bullets bounce!" -- that little smile on Teal'c's face...

How would you rate SG-1's "Avalon, Part 1?"

Excellent

Good
                Fair
                Poor
                Terrible
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I still believe they should have spent one or two episode at the end of season 8 or at the beginning of season 9 to tell what has happened. I love Vala and Cameron as they have brought some fresh energy into this Stargate : Command "spinoff" (alias SG-1 season 9 and 10).

RDA should have had a larger role for a proper good bye. His scenes were rather cameos instead of a proper storyline.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    RDA should have had a larger role for a proper good bye. His scenes were rather cameos instead of a proper storyline.
                    In all honesty, he was doing the cameo's in season 8, which is a season which I feel was wasted because they kept SG-1 mostly out of the field with Jack being commander of SG-1.

3-episode quiz: Avalon I, Avalon II & Origin

Jigsaw puzzle: Avalon, part I

Comment

3:29
                      Last edited by Who Knows; 14 July 2020, 03:48 AM. Reason: Better time
                      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Full disclosure I really love S9. I know the Ori years were controversial with the old fans but I have always thought the change helped in the declining quality.

Because of the cast and plot changes, Avalon is kind of a pilot. I'm not saying it's a new show like the Stargate Command critics but 3 new characters and setting up a whole new plot does treat it like a pilot. For that reason part 1 is kind of slow and boring until we get to the cave. Although I do like the Arthur mystery and discovering Avalon. I give it a fair with 87 seconds on puzzle
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I believe we still have missed an episode in season 8 or 9 where they could have visited the planet Lucia (the origin for the Lucian Alliance). Lucia was planned in for the Stargate : Worlds like an industrial, burnt-out chaotic world with sharp yellow sky on the screenshots.

It would have been nice to hear a dialogue why Jack has moved to Washington and how he is supporting the SGC from there. Or basically what is the role of Homeworld Security. Maybe we can get answers in a future spinoff.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Because of the cast and plot changes, Avalon is kind of a pilot.
                            I also keep track of all the extra's on my DVD's and the commentaries on the first 2 discs don't say who's involved so I had to listen to the introductions, and the Avalon, part 1 commentary starts with something along the lines of, "...and we're watching Avalon part 1 of Stargate Command." which is followed by an "Oops! ".

Comment

I think it's been established that TPTB like to make fun of themselves.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I think it's been established that TPTB like to make fun of themselves.
                                True...

One very painful shoulder, and a cat in the way of my screen later... 2:13

Comment

Working...
                                X