X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galactica Failed on NBC

The overnight ratings are in.

Last night, NBC got it's butt kicked by every other network. It came in last place every single hour it aired, scoring absolutely dismal ratings. Full report here.
    Rocky

Is that any indication of how syndication for BSG is going to go?

Comment

Uhm well it was Saturday night, and it was reruns which just aired on SciFi a few days ago...and BSG wouldnt survive first run on network TV, almost no scifi show could.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampgrrl
        Uhm well it was Saturday night, and it was reruns which just aired on SciFi a few days ago...and BSG wouldnt survive first run on network TV, almost no scifi show could.
        True, it did just air on Sci-Fi, but I assume this was largely for the benefit of those without Sci-Fi channel. Suffice it to say, I don't think NBC will be airing BSG again anytime soon.
        Rocky

Comment

Ah but at least NBC tried to help out it's daughter networks.
          When Sci-Fi showed The 4400 to atract new viewers to the show when it's on USA or when NBC shows BSG that is a far better reciprocal relationship than Viacom has with it's serf networks. Sure NBC is the top dog but CBS doesn't care about Spike, MTV, or especially UPN in the least.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
              Ah but at least NBC tried to help out it's daughter networks.
              When Sci-Fi showed The 4400 to atract new viewers to the show when it's on USA or when NBC shows BSG that is a far better reciprocal relationship than Viacom has with it's serf networks. Sure NBC is the top dog but CBS doesn't care about Spike, MTV, or especially UPN in the least.
              UPN is trying to attract an almost all african-american audience. MTV doesn't need any help. And Spike is for guys, no way of helping that out without killing the family ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                UPN is trying to attract an almost all african-american audience. MTV doesn't need any help. And Spike is for guys, no way of helping that out without killing the family ratings.
                So CBS should make no effort to help out the ratings of their secondary networks?
                Do you think that Viacom is being run well? Is annoying the WWE into trying to leave really that smart since it is the #1 show on 2 networks? Was moving Enterprise to Fridays and then cancelling it when it still got good ratings (for UPN) smart?
                Watch the Sci-Fi channel on Fridays (which I assume you do) can you tell me where UPN shows as much excitement and brags about it's lineup like SF channel does? Watch USA on Sundays and count how many different 4400 and Dead Zone commercials there are. Enterprise had 2 bumpers for their entire 4 year run because UPN is lazy.
                CBS is always going to be the top dog but as long as Viacom neglects everything else all of the secondary channels are going to keep having problems. Showing CSI on Spike is not a bad idea but UPN and Spike are really bad.
                Sure NBC has a lot of problems compared to CBS but I think that USA is being run better than UPN and SF channel is being run a hell of a lot better than Spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
                  So CBS should make no effort to help out the ratings of their secondary networks?
                  Do you think that Viacom is being run well? Is annoying the WWE into trying to leave really that smart since it is the #1 show on 2 networks? Was moving Enterprise to Fridays and then cancelling it when it still got good ratings (for UPN) smart?
                  Watch the Sci-Fi channel on Fridays (which I assume you do) can you tell me where UPN shows as much excitement and brags about it's lineup like SF channel does? Watch USA on Sundays and count how many different 4400 and Dead Zone commercials there are. Enterprise had 2 bumpers for their entire 4 year run because UPN is lazy.
                  CBS is always going to be the top dog but as long as Viacom neglects everything else all of the secondary channels are going to keep having problems. Showing CSI on Spike is not a bad idea but UPN and Spike are really bad.
                  Sure NBC has a lot of problems compared to CBS but I think that USA is being run better than UPN and SF channel is being run a hell of a lot better than Spike.
                  SF has alot better shows then most channels. And enterprise was good but I like the new galactica alot better then enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    The overnight ratings are in.

Last night, NBC got it's butt kicked by every other network. It came in last place every single hour it aired, scoring absolutely dismal ratings. Full report here.
                    Two words....Saturday nights.

Besides, does anyone really watch network TV exclusively anymore? The power and influence of network TV is on the wane. The mere fact that a show like BSG, as well as countless other 1st rate shows premiere on cable is a major sign. I give it 3 to 5 years then the advertising rates for cable shows will parellel network TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                      SF has alot better shows then most channels. And enterprise was good but I like the new galactica alot better then enterprise.

You didn't answer the quesiton though. Do you think that Viacom is a well run organization? Does Viacom do enough cross advertising to help out all of the channels or is it pretty much help CBS all the rest can fend for themselves?
                      I first saw the 4400 on SF channel on now watch it on USA. Show me a
                      Viacom program where they show each other shows other than CSI which
                      mainly helps out CBS. Except for VH1 and MTV the various Viacom channels
                      have very little cross contact with each other. They don't show very many commercials for each other shows.
                      BSG got bad ratings on NBC even for NBC on a Saturday. But what did it hurt NBC? It's not like they pulled ER to show BSG. It's the summer and NBC had nothing to show so why not show BSG which gets good ratings on SF and more importantly has allready been paid for. Sure BSG got bad ratings but for very little cost. It's why dreck like reality shows are popular. Even if the ratings suck they don't cost as much as regular shows.
                      I am not saying that Viacom should go as far as USA and SF channel do working together but I don't think anyone can call UPN or Spike well run.

Comment

It was a rerun played 3 times over....... They should have offered something new like behind the scenes with the cast. BG got better ratings on cable.
                        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

and NBC is a high caliber company...in which the general population watches.

and what does the general population want?

stuff like survivor.

oh and walker texas ranger!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                          Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                          Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Who in their right mind would expect some one to watch the last 3 episodes of a season when they know the viewer wont have a clue whats going on. Daft really and it's NBC's own fault, it's the network who failed. What a bunch of thickies, common sense does'nt seem to be distributed among network execs

Comment

Good point. BSG's so intense that you can't hope to begin to understand it from three episodes, let alone ones from so late in the season. They didn't have a snowball's hope it working--kudos for trying, yes, but I'd give more kudos if they'd tried harder.

Comment

Working...
                              X