This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to stargate

It looks really interesting and the only reason I haven't started watching Is because there are already like 20 seasons. My point is, what is the most basic plot so that I can watch without being completely lost.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    It looks really interesting and the only reason I haven't started watching Is because there are already like 20 seasons. My point is, what is the most basic plot so that I can watch without being completely lost.
    Welcome to the Stargate universe.

The most basic plot I can come up with is this:

A group of people go through giant 20-foot ring and end up on another planet.

That's about the entire premise of Stargate in a sentence.

A suggestion: Start with season 1 and work your way forward. Of course, you may watch episodes in whatever order you want, but to appreciate all the story lines in their entirety, start from the beginning. If you don't want to start from scratch (i.e Season 1), a good place to jump in and get current in season 7. As of July 15th, Stargate SG-1 season 9 and Atlantis Season 2 start (at least in the US on the sci-fi channel).

Otherwise, Gateworld has complete episode guides for every episode (SG-1 and Atlantis). Click on the "SG-1" link in the upper left corner (Next to the "Atlantis" link) for a quick rundown of each season, as well as access to each seasons' episode guide.

Comment

A parasitic snake like creature infest humans, declare themselves Gods and then inslave other humans. Some humans are "modified" to serve as incubators for the creatures young while serving as warrior priest. Some of the warrior priest dont beleive in their gods and want to be free.... oh and
      Spoiler:
      Kawaski aways dies.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Hi, welcome to Stargate, and the GateWorld Forum!

It is a good thing that you have started to watch Stargate, because you don't know what you have been missing.

Actually, there are only nine seasons... of SG-1, then two of Atlantis.

I would suggest that you start with the movie.

Basically, on a dig in Giza in 1928 a Doctor Langford discovers an alien device burried under the sand. This is later discovered to be the Stargate. At the begining, they have no idea what this device is, and for about a year the think it only goes to one place. When SG-1 starts up, we soon find out that the Stargate allows us to travel all over the galaxy, and eventually, even to other ones.

There is no real way for someone to explain what Stargate is about, without giving away important details. What I have just told you, is the basic starter to the show, however there is still and entire universe out there that is not included in my post. Season one of SG-1 doesn't even scratch the surface of the Stargate universe, I strongly suggest that you get involved in this show, if you don't you will probably regret it, somewhere down the line you will catch an episode and realise how good the show is, and what you missed. However, it sounds to me like you are already conviced so now, to try to not give anything away I will outline the some aspects of Stargate, with a list of words.

Travel
        Aliens
        False Gods
        History
        Mithology
        Replicators
        Hyperdrive
        Naquadah
        Ancients
        DHD
        GDO
        Colonel O'Neill
        Stargate!

I hope I could help,

Owen Macri

Comment

get all of the seasons on dvd, read on internet. and you know it.

Comment

Take a look through GateWorld's Stargate Primer

Comment

wow, thanks

I can't get all of the seasons on dvd, no $. I've seen the movie but I barley remember anything and I defiantly have enough $ to rent that again. I can't Start with season 1 and work my way forward unless Sci-fi decides to loose thousands of dollars showing a marathon of shows that everyone (but me) has already seen. I guess ill just watch the movie, read around, and record all the new SG-1's and SGA's

Comment

As already mentioned check out GateWorld's Primer... the best way to get caught up on everything.

Ace
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Welcome.............

If you don't have any money then your best bet is to hope to GOD that they run the Marathon one more time, for you. And of course what they said.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

wow, thanks

I can't get all of the seasons on dvd, no $. I've seen the movie but I barley remember anything and I defiantly have enough $ to rent that again. I can't Start with season 1 and work my way forward unless Sci-fi decides to loose thousands of dollars showing a marathon of shows that everyone (but me) has already seen. I guess ill just watch the movie, read around, and record all the new SG-1's and SGA's
                    I'm coughing up the money for all seven seasons now, but I started out renting Stargate on Netflix. Do that if you can. If not, here's a tip: Scifi shows all the eps in order, from season 1 through season six (and I guess now they'll be including season seven) everyday at 6 PM EST. Watch that everyday, and in less than a year you'll be caught up. Or you can watch the Monday night blocks, because those are also shown in order. You may not come in on season one, but you can start now, and eventually they'll start with season 1 again, and you can watch up to the ep you started with.
                    gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Do you get the SciFi channel? (as opposed to watching it in syndication?) If you do you're in luck Rent the movie and watch it again, now. Then starting JULY 14th at 6PM start watching or taping the SciFi channel every weekday at 6pm and you'll be able to see every episode from Season 1 -> Season 7. You'll have to catch Season 8 in syndication when you get to there.

Stargate is also shown at other times on SciFi, but the other time slots will be showing other seasons. If you want to watch it in order, then watch the 6pm slot, every weekday starting July 14th (Episode name: Children of the Gods Part 1).

Enjoy!

FYI: The Vancouver Convention GateWorld Badge is here!

Comment

Basic plot for stargate is the stargate teams travel to alien world and fight people called goaulds who pretend to be gods, team is col oniel,major carter, daniel jackson and tealc( a jaffa, the slave warriors of the goauld).
                        the iris(the metal spiral thingy) protects earth but we still need more technolgy, the main purpose of going through the gate, alien race are their and we make friends/ trade etc. recomended seasons - S1,S6,S7,S8, and the fifth race. all of atlantis/
                        hope i helped

immhotep
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Watch the movie; then forget about half of it. Next: watch COTG to see how the series intro provides continuity to the move; or discontinuity.

After watching those eps along with the movie, (movie first, mind you), you will find the premise for the rest of the series, and if you really enjoy those, then you will be watching all the rest on Monday marathons, (provided you get the SciFi Channel), or ordering boxed DVD sets. I, personally, have all but S7 recorded.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

yeah movie, then all the season intros and finales plus disclsure and other clip show, then the last 5 eps of S8 and all of atlantis, that should basicly cover you for now.
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

On my SCIFI channel every Mon night they play five SG1 shows in a row starting at 6:00 pm to 11:00pm. Then one show every week night at 6:00pm. You should be able to get and good idea of what the show is about from these. Welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
                              X