Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Legacy (304)

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

Default Re: Legacy (304)

This one's pretty decent, but falls apart a bit as it continues. The first half with Daniel going crazy is great to watch, Michael Shanks does a very good job and actually plays it more restrained than I expected (or remembered). I particularly like the whole scene with him and Jack playing chess/cards and Daniel trying to stay calm despite what he is seeing.

The thing is, as an audience we know he's not really going crazy, we've been given too many clues that something has actually affected him. Therefore, it makes for an aggravating watch as we see his friends disbelieving him and Dr Mackenzie not really giving weight to anything he says. Everyone should know that these guys deal with alien things on a daily basis and should give that factor serious consideration.

The diagnosis of Daniel also does seem very quick. He has a few hallucinations and suddenly that means he must be schizophrenic, and a little bit later he's in a padded room. In terms of doctor stuff though, I did like the fact that this episode brings together all three of our previously established doctor characters (Frasier, Warner, Mackenzie). Warner and Mackenzie really don't come off very well though; Mackenzie is infuriating and Warner is made to look stupid (and a little arrogant).

After Daniel is cured the episode takes a turn for the worse, I thought. Jack, Sam and Janet trapped in the room going nuts just isn't handled well, and there was an opportunity to do much more with it. I didn't feel any tension.

- Sam is trying to get help from Doc Frasier in separating the blood, and Janet is clearly having a difficult time with it. Why didn't Sam just ask for some complete instructions early on when Janet was a bit more with it, instead of waiting for the centrifuge to finish before going up to her and asking what to do next?

- Nice to see Machello again, but I wish had been revisited in a bigger way.

- Loved Jack's comment about putting a warning sign at the bottom of the gate.

- The Reetou are mentioned AGAIN. They really wanted to bring them back into the show, didn't they? A real shame it never happened.

RATING: 6 out of 10

Daniel stole the show in this episode with his gradual slide into insanity!

I have to agree that it did fall apart a bit as it when on LHG. Benefit of the doubt should have been given as far as the possibility of alien influences are concerned. That was disregarded a little too quickly with Daniel being carted off to the padded cell!

The dead Linvris set up a nice creepy atmosphere to start with and how they keep turning up in Daniel's hallucinations. That really creeped me out when I first watched this episode. Planting a Goa'uld killing thing in an every day device used by the Goa'uld was a neat idea, that Machello was a pretty resourceful enemy of theirs!

An event horizon in a closet, still one of the more memorable weird images in Stargate for me! Now we know why things we thought we put in our closets never seem to be in there when we want them!!!

My LiveJournal post
    Always love this one. I always get a chill when Daniel sees one of those corpses behind the others when they visit him..
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

DVDs Re: Legacy (304)

Let's See, an average episode of SG-1.

Daniel got some stuff in his body that made him go nuts. Then, Jack and Janet went nuts, but only Sam could save the day.

Tomorrow, I haven't seen that episode in a while, so I can't tell you what happens.

5pm and another ep of SG1...(the other one I had on VHS for a bit)

1. Rewatching this ep actually had be flashing back to the S7 ep

Spoiler:
    Lifeboat

2. First time I'd actually notied that thing move through Daniel.

3. Kept waiting for the thing to move out of Teal'c.

4. Had forgotten about Warner.

Solid enough ep.

If you seen one Daniel go crazy episode you have seen them all. I probably liked it more the first time around but being a rewatch I have seen him go crazy enough the first half really bores me. I was more interested in the second half trying to figure out how Machello's machine work and the innovation that came with using Sam's blood. I'll excuse the mecial inaccuracies just because it was fun to watch and show why Fraiser is smarter then Warner.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Daniel fan that I am, I watch this ep a lot, though never before in order. I'd forgotten how early in the season this arrived and how close to Holiday.

There's some interesting medical knowledge examined in this ep that may affect how teams are prepared and approved for 'gate travel in future. Not knowing how the 'gate affects humans without symbiotes who go through the 'gate regularly was a very good question. A medical team in a military environment might actually be less inclined to see beyond the confines of known practices when judging the cause of a medical emergency. Daniel unconscious repeated times would certainly qualify as medical emergency!

Daniel though appears to be the only one using science, his translation of "to enter by infiltration," to comprehend what may have occurred to the Linvus. He's the one bringing the focus back to them over and over till it registers that there might be another factor involved, namely Ma'chello.

The writers as usual take a story about a serious condition and bring some really funny humor to the table; Jack playing with the IV bag, Carter yelling, "C'mon! There's gotta be a way! We've got all this stuff!"

And in the end, the music swells and all is right with SG-1 while Michael Shanks gives another stellar performance.

Another episode where Daniel goes crazy.
    My favorite TV shows

As mentioned by others: with everything they have encountered, I would expect that they would be looking at possible alien influence to explain Daniel's going slowly insane rather than immediately believing he's developed a terrestrial psychotic disorder. Especially his team -they seem too ready to accept the medical explaination.

Michael Shanks did a wonderful job.

It's easy to see why the doctors were not inclined to believe Daniel when the little bug left his system, since he had been making such crazy claims before -it just sounded like part of his previous rant.

Fave O'Neill Quote: "I'd like to apologize in advance for anything I may say, or do, that could be construed as offensive, as I slowly go NUTS!"

I liked them using the Machello character again.

I don't mind the eps that are less action and more intrigue. I think the variety keeps it interesting.

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Michael Shanks showing off his great acting. Easily one of my favourite actors. He's also the first Stargate star I have had my photo taken with. Getting a photo with Amanda in a couple of weeks

Great of them to reuse Machello even if it was such a small mention.

Love Jacks quote as well.

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    Michael Shanks showing off his great acting. Easily one of my favourite actors. He's also the first Stargate star I have had my photo taken with. Getting a photo with Amanda in a couple of weeks
    Michael Shanks is awesome! This is an episode that highlights his considerable talents. I got my picture taken with him last year--he's a sweet and charming guy—very easy to talk with. I’m going to have my picture taken with Christopher Judge in a few weeks.

I think that Dr. Fraiser doesn’t think that Daniel is under the influence a an alien entity for 2 reasons: No one else from the team is having the same problem, and, as shown when Teal’c gets sick, the organisms do not show in any tests.

Pretty average episode, I do have to comment on the horribly cgi'd in test tube that "caught" the goa'uld killer bug that came out of Teal'c.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Starscape91 View Post
    Another episode where Daniel goes crazy.
    Lets see. We had this, lifeboat and need... Any others?

Major

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    What, three isn't enough?

Seaboe

Major General

Quite interesting episode. Michael played his part very good. Enjoyed it.

Chief Master Sergeant

Okay episode.
    Not good, but not bad.

This episode was the first episode of Stargate I saw it makes me so happy when ever I watch it
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=53894&dateline=1341148295

You got nothing on my smileys

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    The Light, Absolute Power, Need, The Shroud(sort of)...

Can't remember the rest.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

As for the episode, I'm surprised no one thought that some alien device was affecting him. Also, Dr. MacKenzie did look kinda familiar.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast