This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would they repair atlantis?

From what i have gathered, there was some significant flood damaged done to the city during the Eye, and during the Siege part 2, it showed the city was falling apart and some of the towers were on fire. So, im just wondering, how are they gonna repair all that damage or are they just going to leave it that way?

I found myself wondering the exact same thing after The Siege Pt.2. I guess there's a number of possible ways (such as magic repair robots/droids that they'll find that do it for them), I just hope TPTB don't just skip this point and show Atlantis magically repaired in those Atlantis overview shots in season 2 without explaining how the damage was repaired. I don't believe the people currently occupying Atlantis have the ability to do the repairs, technilogical or structrual, themselves.

While I understand that certain things need to be overlooked because a show has to move forward, I just find it strange that in only 9 years, the people of Earth learn how to use and repair the most advanced technology in the Universe (actually much less then 9 years since Ancient tech has only recently become regularily used, not including the Stargate/Ring Transporters).

Comment

but we are briliant, and we sent the best of the best to atlantis but disposable as mentioned in other threads. But remember that in the daedalus earth sends new personel. Also i read that after the daedalus destroys the wraith armada its severely damaged and that they repair it. So im concluding that they are going to show the part where they repair the daedalus so in that time they will show the time of sorrow and time of repairing. Also even though its atlantis that we are talking about they still built it with metal or some kind of metal and since we have the daedalus which is very advanced and we repair it, it means that we can repair the city.
      sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

Originally posted by Vandog
        I found myself wondering the exact same thing after The Siege Pt.2. I guess there's a number of possible ways (such as magic repair robots/droids that they'll find that do it for them), I just hope TPTB don't just skip this point and show Atlantis magically repaired in those Atlantis overview shots in season 2 without explaining how the damage was repaired. I don't believe the people currently occupying Atlantis have the ability to do the repairs, technilogical or structrual, themselves.

While I understand that certain things need to be overlooked because a show has to move forward, I just find it strange that in only 9 years, the people of Earth learn how to use and repair the most advanced technology in the Universe (actually much less then 9 years since Ancient tech has only recently become regularily used, not including the Stargate/Ring Transporters).
        but we are briliant, and we sent the best of the best to atlantis but disposable as mentioned in other threads. But remember that in the daedalus earth sends new personel. Also i read that after the daedalus destroys the wraith armada its severely damaged and that they repair it. So im concluding that they are going to show the part where they repair the daedalus so in that time they will show the time of sorrow and time of repairing. Also even though its atlantis that we are talking about they still built it with metal or some kind of metal and since we have the daedalus which is very advanced and we repair it, it means that we can repair the city.
        sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

Originally posted by vandred

Atlantis is the size of Manhatten (according to what the producers have stated). It would take regular repair crews, who even knew what they were doing (best of the best), months if not years to repair that damage on their own, even if they had hundreds (or more) people working on it. The material Atlantis is heavily built on, I assume, is one we probably haven't seen before so aquiring the exact material for repair would be a problem too.

Edit: But dwelling on the realism of this situation too much isn't really all that important. I would like to hear how things are repaired but it won't alter my enjoyment of the show at all if we hear nothing.

Comment

I'd say that some of the damange would be impossible to repair, given our current resources. I'd say they'll prioritize what they must fix (because it's in a section of the city we're using) and postpone other repairs to some of the city's far reaches until a time when they become necessary and/or we have the manpower and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              I'd say that some of the damange would be impossible to repair, given our current resources. I'd say they'll prioritize what they must fix (because it's in a section of the city we're using) and postpone other repairs to some of the city's far reaches until a time when they become necessary and/or we have the manpower and resources.
              Thats the most likely explanation, being unable to fix the damage fits nicely with the theme of Atlantian tech being way beyond the level of the team, as well as further annoying the Athosians (and other people in Pegasus) who think Atlantis is holy.
              The team activate the city make it a target for the Wraith, almost activate the self-destruct, get parts of it blown up by the Wraith and then are unable to fix it. Talk about Desecration

In Hotzone they never claimed to be trying to repair the city only looking for storm damage.

I think the team (with the hep of Hermod) will be able to get the primary systems back up and running but in the longterm Atlantis will be left with the scars of battle. I'm thinking that TPTB could set up a recurring theme of the damage to the city reflecting the sacrifices and devastation caused by the war with the Wraith. Afterall why do the team get to live in a perfect city when they are a war with a terrible enemy.

Plus damage can be a reason that all the Ancient goodies don't automatically turn on when the ZPM is inserted, thus drawing out the "awakening" of the city
              sigpic

Comment

give mckay a puncher repair kit he sort it out

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

the city mite be self repairing, I'm sure a race as advanced as the ancients culd program machines to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
                    the city mite be self repairing, I'm sure a race as advanced as the ancients culd program machines to do it.
                    Ascended skutters?
                    Really does make sense… Not only for repair but building in general. Some of the Ancient sites are freaking huge – so building “machines” would be the most practical way.
                    Last edited by sarge; 05 July 2005, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandog
                      Atlantis is the size of Manhatten (according to what the producers have stated). It would take regular repair crews, who even knew what they were doing (best of the best), months if not years to repair that damage on their own, even if they had hundreds (or more) people working on it. The material Atlantis is heavily built on, I assume, is one we probably haven't seen before so aquiring the exact material for repair would be a problem too.

Edit: But dwelling on the realism of this situation too much isn't really all that important. I would like to hear how things are repaired but it won't alter my enjoyment of the show at all if we hear nothing.

Ahh but you forget the law already laid down in the show says that whatever the ancients build will last for several million years without loss of functiion because no change in the environment will ever diminish functionality, ever. Whole Islands can sink in a million years and forests grow.. but they never grow up around a star gate on an unoccupied planet

By that same rationale, even with damage, this multi-million year old city should need minimal repair and maintenance no matter how long it's been there. And even if you blow off the top of the city... all that's necessary will function as it should. However, if Mckay can go into space and fix a dead satellite, he should have no problem yelling and nagging others into fixing the city to his specifications... when marines aren't toting guns they may as well be put to use as construction crew.

I think the reason the Tauri have grown in knowledge so quickly in the past few years is because we've always had the theories, before we even knew of the stargate, but we never had the opportunity to test those theories, see them proven/disproven. The experiences with the Goa'uld and the Asgard probably gave Tauri scientists a jump off point to put their theories to practical use and as a result their knowledge has grown drastically.

As for Ancient tech, I don't think they know fully how it works but they know how to use it, just like me and my computer. When it comes down to it, it's not as if the ancients reinvented physics; if these scientists can grasp all that complicated stuff, they're well on their way.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

thats if they surivive (i know they do but still) and i agree
                        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Actually I'd say that they're not going to reapir the damage. On the wall to the right of the control room (looking at it from the stargate), is blast damage from I guess Rising Part 2. You can see this damage still in Sanctuary, and I believe a few other episodes. As they haven't repaired the wall it either means they can't repair atlantis, even simple things like a wall, or they don't have the resources (both man hours, and materials) to make the repairs.

Comment

u know those azgard droids that were building the O'Neill? Well, the azgard can send couple hundred of them and we'll be done in no time.

Comment

Why would the Ancients want to do Manual Labor? Atlantis is fragile. McKay said it himself. There has to be some form of automated repair systems. I'm thinking about Reece as I write this. She had nanites that could repair damage. They were FAST. They could take a pair of scissors and turn them into a complex Replicator block in like 1 second. Surely the Ancients would have more advanced technology than that. What if the material Atlantis is made up of has a dense population of them? They could act as a preventative measure, repairing tiny cracks before they become too bad, and even fixing the big stuff given enough time. But they would probably need a great deal of power. Imagine how many there would have to be.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X