Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Earth claim Sovereignty over Atlantis?or under Occupation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Earth claim Sovereignty over Atlantis?or under Occupation?

With the contact re-establish with Earth again, and Daedalus will be making visits ,i wonder about the political status of Atlantis?

what happen if Earth ( Pentagon ) make decision about the City of Atlantis with the consent of the people of Pegasus?like blow up the city and return to Earth.

The city was abandon by the Ancient, and the Ancient hologram said they hope the City will be discover by people from Earth again.
    Atlantis is not only under Earth's occupation but I think Earth can claim sovereignty over the city by the right of discovery.

Remember Babaylon 5, the opening sequence said it is a netural terrority, but Earth force control the station, and Earth's military consider B5 part of Earth force.They send destoryer to re-take the station,at the end the Captain declare B5 independence.
    Does TEYLA 's people and people like Genai have any legal claim to the City?
    We already know that Generva convention was ignore when the Wraith prisoner was experimented on.
    Which mean ,we have a city in another galaxy ,under Earth control , but Earth 's law is not apply there.

Remember "Brotherhood", the ZPM was taken from the Atlantis team, because that woman said they are living in the Atlantis City ,but they are not from Atlantis.

The human of Pegasus see Atlantis as the great city of their ancestor.But nowis being occupied by the U.S military.

Atlantis is full of advance technologies, one of the greatest treasure in the universe.

Is Atlantis a protectorate outpost of Earth, or part of Earth 's terrority.

But if you consider Atlantis as a "Space Ship" ,by salvage law ,Earth can claim possession

It was built by the Ancients so I'd be a little afraid they'd come back and take what's rightfully theirs. Plus it's in a whole 'nother galaxy so ... it ain't ours, really. We bopped in, nobody was home, so we kicked back, flicked on the boob tube and helped ourselves. I dont' think we'd have any political say in it at all.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

The people from Atlantis went to Earth...People from Earth have the ancient gene...so far we have yet to meet anyone with the ancient gene in the Pegasus galaxy (some have wraith genes)...So I would say its Earths since our ancestors came from there. Plus most of the races we have met are primative compared to us (I like saying that for a change). The technology is way beyond us...that would make even less since for any of them to take it over.
      Last edited by GateMan2000; 30 June 2005, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I don't know. How strong is the SGA's claim?

We've got two elements that are immediately releveant, though there may be others I am forgetting.

First off is the recorded holographic message from "Rising":
        ANCIENT HOLOGRAM: .-In the hope of spreading new life in a galaxy where their appeared to be none. Soon the new life grew, prospered. Here - (Hologram continues speaking.)
        ANCIENT HOLOGRAM: Exchange knowledge and friendship. *above her head a sort of map appears* In time a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form. Then one day our people stepped foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own. In our over confidence, we weren't prepared and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon defenseless human worlds like a great Schrage until finally only Atlantis remained. This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons but here we were besieged for many years in an offer to save the last of our kind we submerged our great city into the ocean. The Atlantis Stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this Galaxy, and those who remained used it to return to that world that was once home. There the last survivors of Atlantis lived out the remainder of their lives. This city was left to slumber, in the hope that our kind would one day return.
        So are we "their kind"? Does the presence of the Ancient Gene in a small fraction of our populace give us that kind of claim?

However, from "Before I Sleep" we have another important set of events to inform the discussion:
        ALT-WEIR: Of course, Janis refused to concede defeat. The more someone told him not to do something, the more he had to do it. So he came up with an alternate plan behind the Council’s back. (She chuckles.) It was all I could do to try to keep pace with him.

FLASHBACK. Janis and Elizabeth go to a lab with a triangular console in the middle of it. Janis goes to another console nearby and starts working on it.
        WEIR: May I ask what it is you’re doing?
        JANIS: Calculating the necessary power needed.
        WEIR: Needed for ...?
        JANIS: You said the shield collapsed shortly after your arrival. I have to find a way to extend the supply of power. (He looks up towards the triangular console.) What is you called them?
        WEIR: ZeePM – zero point module.
        JANIS: Yes. (He starts working on the console in front of him again.) They’re designed to operate in parallel – all three providing power to the city simultaneously. However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the necessary power for the needed time. (He pushes a button and, from the triangular console, three ZPMs rise up.)
        ALT-WEIR (voiceover): I didn’t believe my eyes. Three ZeePMs right in front of me.
        JANIS: There is one small problem, though. Someone will need to remain behind in the city to transfer the power from one device to the other – to rotate them sequentially.
        PAST-WEIR: Over thousands of years?
        JANIS: It is possible.
        FLASHBACK. GATEROOM. The Stargate kawhooshes and many Atlanteans, some wearing backpacks, walk through the Gate. In Central Control, Janis walks past Melia on his way to one of the control consoles.
        MELIA: Where is Doctor Weir?
        JANIS: She’s gone through the Gate. She was among the first to evacuate.
        MOROS: Good.
        (Janis finishes what he is doing and moves away. When he’s sure nobody is watching him, he walks into the rear part of the Control area and trots down the stairs there.)

STASIS CHAMBER.
        ALT-WEIR (voiceover): Janis prepared the stasis chamber for me – said it would be like a deep, dreamless sleep.
        JANIS: I’m inputting commands to the system to revive you twice at intervals of approximately three point three thousand years so that you can rotate the ZeePMs. I’ll give you instructions on how to reactivate the stasis process afterwards. I’m also entering the necessary commands to commence final revival the moment sensors indicate the presence of your expedition team. (He walks over to Elizabeth.) Look – I feel that I must tell you that there is a possibility – remote as it is – that this might not succeed.
        WEIR: I know.
        JANIS: It’s impossible to predict what’ll happen over such a long period of time. I’m convinced that you will survive. But, in the highly unlikely eventuality that you don’t, I’ve programmed the failsafe mechanism to protect the city.
        WEIR: A failsafe?
        JANIS: Yes. If the power drains to a critical level, the mechanism holding the city on the ocean floor will release, and it will rise to the surface.
        WEIR (not looking convinced that such a thing is possible): Really?
        JANIS: I’ve blocked all addresses to the Gate except Earth. You will be safe.
        WEIR: Thank you.
        JANIS: Thank you – for giving me the hope that Atlantis will survive another ten thousand years ... after you discover it again.
        (Elizabeth walks over to him and kisses him on the cheek. He gazes at her for a moment, then turns and walks away down the steps. He walks to the Gateroom, where Moros, Melia and a technician are waiting for him.)
        So ONE Ancient, Janis, defied his leaders and changed the future to insure the expedition would be able to inherit Atlantis. He came up with a plan, he blocked out all other gates BUT Earth, and he lied to the other Atlanteans to insure that that Earth and ONLY Earth could ever claim the city.

So, do this pariah's actions and the fact that through them ONLY Earth could ever claim Atlantis make it just to do so?
        Last edited by Darth Buddha; 30 June 2005, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I think Earth should be under our security for the sake of Earth. If the Wraith get a hold of it, then we are toast. So it makes it ours. They don't have the gene, that we've seen so far, to operate aything, so that is more of a reason.
          Although it should be used, and the planet, as a save haven for humans in the PG. Not just for us to say it is ours now go away. If we claim Atlantis then we are taken on the responsabily of protecting the hole PG.
          Last edited by LORD MONK; 30 June 2005, 08:25 PM.
          *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
          *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
          *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
          *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
          *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
          *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
          *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
            Although it should be used, and the planet, as a save haven for humans in the PG. Not just for us to say it is ours now go away. If we claim Atlantis then we are taken on the responsabily of protecting the hole PG.
            That is a FANTASTIC claim.

As in INTERESTING and provokative! I think I'm outta green, but I'll be back to green ya later, LORD MONK.

I'd love to hear a detailed argument for that.

Comment

I think that they think they enherit atlantis since they are sort of decendents of the ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                I think that they think they enherit atlantis since they are sort of decendents of the ancients.
                More than the locals of the Pegasus Galaxy? More than the Genii? More than those who worship the Ancients as their ancestors?

I'm asking, not telling you that you are wrong.

Comment

The city was abandoned for 10,000 years... First come first serve.

Comment

What about Chaya/Athar? What did she have to say about the humans occupying Atlantis (I've can't really remember it that well)?

As one of the surviving Ancients perhaps her judgements should carry some weight despite her exile.

Comment

Well if the Ancients wanted us to leave, they could throw us out (by which I mean kill us and imprison our souls and kill our ancestors back a hundred generations). I think we have rights to Atlantis because we are the only ones who can use it, and I think that when people realise that we are the only group who can even stand up to the Wraith with a prayer of success, they'll accept our having Atlantis. I think the original question dealt partially with the Earth opinion. I think it is regarded as under Earth control and subject to orders (not a colony or something with rights). But all of Earth (or at least the UN Security Council permanent members, who were the only ones to know) has some say. US likely has most as it was our gate and ZPM and mostly our people (at least on the military side)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                        That is a FANTASTIC claim.

As in INTERESTING and provokative! I think I'm outta green, but I'll be back to green ya later, LORD MONK.

I'd love to hear a detailed argument for that.
                        I am shocked and overwhelmed. May the Fans Be With Us.
                        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I'm going to go with the age old wisdom of finders keepers, losers weepers.
                          MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                            I'm going to go with the age old wisdom of finders keepers, losers weepers.
                            Isn't that a playground rule?

Though "salvage rights" on the high seas do come close to that very concept... but I think somebody with a greater claim can then reclaim it by paying ten percent of the value or some such (been a while since I read a novel with the concept in it).

Comment

well if it wasn;t for us atlantis would be gone once the zpm depleted
                              when the ancients left they knew we would come to claim the city in 10 thousand years from Dr. Weir and that didnt bother them
                              in fact Melia said "let's hope Dr. Weir's arrival will not alter this eventuality"
                              its also quite probable that the ancients would have blocked all addresses to the gate except earth anyway since otherwise the wraith could gate into the city
                              and finally Melia had the hologram recording knowing in advance that we would come

anyway remember when the genii tried to take over atlantis they didnt come for the city, they came for our c4.
                              in fact the city is pretty much useless without our naquadah generators and our gear so none of the other human civilizations in pegasus can make use of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X