This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Establishing and Maintaining Hyperspace travel

In "Redemption" we saw that an object doesn't need a hyperspace generator in order to enter or travel through hyperspace. In that case it was the stargate. On the other hand, we have seen in countless episodes that the hyperspace generator must be actively engaged in order to continue hyperspace travel. In "The Lost City" we saw that the speed that a ship was traveling in hyperspace could be changed without reentering normal space.

I offer the following musings. It seems that the hyperspace window generator when first engaged in normal space creates the window and a certain path through which any object may enter. Let us suppose that for a given window, any passive object entering that window will exit that window at roughly the distance. This provides a simple means to correlate the power requirements of the hyperspace generator and the speed at which a ship using that generator will travel using hyperspace.

Let me explain. Suppose we have a generator that will throw a passive object one distance and a different generator that will throw a passive object a different distance. If it is true that a passive object traveling through the first window arrives at its distance at the same time a passive object traveling with the second exits at its distance, then we see that the effective speed of the hyperspace travel is directly related to this "passive length."

Now we can relate this to the power requirements. If the energy requirments are directly related to the passive length then to travel twice as fast would require twice the power. If the the energy requirements are related to the square of the passive length then the power requirements to travel twice as fast would be 4 times as must. If the energy requirements are a function of the passive length then we can calculate the power requirements.

I would appreciate other thoughts. My musings are based upon a number of assumptions. What if we used other assumptions? What ideas might you have about the ability of passive objects to use hyperspace windows? Active objects? What about wormholes in hyperspace? (We have seen this in "Within the serpent's grasp" where a connection couldn't be made, and in "Redemption" where an existing connection traveled through hyperspace)

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
    In "Redemption" we saw that an object doesn't need a hyperspace generator in order to enter or travel through hyperspace. In that case it was the stargate. On the other hand, we have seen in countless episodes that the hyperspace generator must be actively engaged in order to continue hyperspace travel. In "The Lost City" we saw that the speed that a ship was traveling in hyperspace could be changed without reentering normal space.
    Yessss but it was attached to the X-302 which DID have a hyperspace generator.........

You need a hyperspace generator to enter hyperspace. Period. the Asteriod in Falesafe for example had the Cargo ship on its surface generating the huge window, even if IT didn't have the window. And as you need said hyperdrive to be active to maintain the ships status while in hyperspace, you can't just send in an object and expect it to remain in hyperspace.
    --
    The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Farrell
      Yessss but it was attached to the X-302 which DID have a hyperspace generator.........

You need a hyperspace generator to enter hyperspace. Period. the Asteriod in Falesafe for example had the Cargo ship on its surface generating the huge window, even if IT didn't have the window. And as you need said hyperdrive to be active to maintain the ships status while in hyperspace, you can't just send in an object and expect it to remain in hyperspace.
      My impression of "Redemption" is that the gate entered the hyperspace window after O'neill released it, and that he pulled the X-302 away so that it did not enter. So a passive object, an object without a hyperspace generator, did in fact enter hyperspace and did travel a certain distance using hyperspace. (Ofcourse there may be other, valid explanations. )

I think we have only seen a few battles that take place in hyperspace. (I think they all involve the asgard and replicators) In all of these cases it would be impossible to have a battle if passive objects did not persist in hyperspace briefly before reentering normal space. It would have been a shame if they sacrificed the O'neill only to have the fragments reenter normal space before they could hit the replicator ships.

The idea I previously posted -- and I would love to hear others post their own speculations -- is that if the distance a passive object travels using hyperspace is arrived at after some constant time interval that is the same for all hyperspace windows, then we have any easy means of comparing hyperspace generator function, and effective speed.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
        My impression of "Redemption" is that the gate entered the hyperspace window after O'neill released it, and that he pulled the X-302 away so that it did not enter. So a passive object, an object without a hyperspace generator, did in fact enter hyperspace and did travel a certain distance using hyperspace. (Ofcourse there may be other, valid explanations. )
        Nope. The X302 entered hyperspace. This is explicite from the visuals, the chase aircraft confirming it and O'Neill ejecting in his cockpit module...something he would not do if he had simply released the gate into hyperspace.
        Sorry

I think we have only seen a few battles that take place in hyperspace. (I think they all involve the asgard and replicators) In all of these cases it would be impossible to have a battle if passive objects did not persist in hyperspace briefly before reentering normal space.
        Uhhh not exactly. The only 'battles' in hyperspace were was when the O'Neill let the Replicators catch up to itself, then self destructed with the shockwave taking all the ships out. As soon as the ships were destroyed BTW, the explosion and debris droped back into realspace.

Regardless of how you go through subspace, you clearly need it to be a powered trip. Either through a wormhole (that if it disengages in the middle of space will send whatever was in the matter stream back into realspace, REF "Red Sky") or using a hyperdrive (REF "Small Victories", "Redemption II', "Fail Safe", "Memento").

Nice attempt at a theroy though
        --
        The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

the x-302 did enter hyperspace along with the gate

and not to be a smartass but the asgard cant used sheild or weapons in hyperspace see the episode new order thor tried to use the self destruct to rid the replicator ship because he couldnt use his ships weapons and the replicator ship was vunerable with no sheilds.
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

well, i agree, the X-302 entered hyperspace, with stargate and all... and it it very possible that once entering hyperspace, the stargate would disengage... and thus the big explosion coul have been th x-302's.. after all.... it wasn't exactly fail-safe! but i don't know if a hyperspace generator explosion can be so big..! maybe the stargate was destroyed by the explosion, and the naquada somehow amplified the explosion... but i think that it's pretty hard to destroy a stargate... so... I HAVE NO IDEA! the alpha gate wasn't so easily destroyed in "nemesis" ... so the beta gate could still be there, travelling, not in hyperspace, but do to inertia... after all... who or what would oppose resistance, right?
            Ad Astra Per Aspera

Comment

but then again.. hmm.... maybe the gate didn't disengage, after all, as i recall... it only traveled for a second, thus travelling a few million miles away, and that isn't so much considering the earth's orbit.. so, the PoD was still valid! the wormhole probably didn't disengage...
              Ad Astra Per Aspera

Comment

hmmmm, hard to follow. Wunna simple it up?

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                  hmmmm, hard to follow. Wunna simple it up?
                  all i was really trying to say was that once the gate allong with the X-302 (redemption p2) entered hyperspace, the gate may not have disengaged. because it is thought that a gate travelling in hyperspace cannot maintain an open wormhole. or at least not dial one. so, as the x-302 only flew for about a second in hyperspace, that would mean a couple of million miles away. and since the earth's orbit covers more that that in our solar system, the PoD was still valid, and thus, the stargate actually exploded, making that "big light in the sky" that everybody saw. i've only said this because some believe that the gate disengaged once it entered hyperspace.
                  i hope u understand it now.
                  Ad Astra Per Aspera

Comment

Yes, the gate did enter hyperspace with the X-302. The reason that it could do this is because the standing theory is that hyperspace is another layer of the universe, all you need to do to get into it, is create a window, that is what a hyperspace window generator does, if you want, I can get more specific, and more complex, this is all that is needed to explain how the gate entered hyperspace.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                    X