This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Da Vinci Code" & Dan Brown books Discussion/Appreciation Thread

So who's read "The Da Vinci Code"? Just about everyone I suspect I've read it several times already and it always seem to open up my mind up more on a few topics and the possibilities like the life of Jesus Christ, Mary Magdalene, Catholicism, Leonardo Da Vinci, religion and generally the meaning of life stuff.

I've also read "Angels and Demons" and his other two books "Deception Point" and "Digital Fortress" and they are all equally fascinating and great for discussions.

So what do you think about his books?
    Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
    and Captain Jack Harkness
    Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
    Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
    Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
    I live here.....Calling All Australians?
    My other home...Stargate Down Under
    My Life on LiveJournal

Does it have to be an appreciative post?

Frankly, The Da Vinci Code is drivel. That it's been taken as literal truth is astonishing considering practically every point can be debunked. It's a novel. And a poorly written one at that. His dialogue is dreadful and unbelievable as speech, and people who think that exclamation marks convey emotion ought not to be published. e.g. Football jocks getting all excited over Fibonnaci numbers. Gosh! Oh, the symbolism. Good lord...

According to Wikipedia, the authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (another amusing book) have attempted to sue Brown, for plagiarism. Along the way, Brown also disses them in the process.

As a mystery, it's shriekingly obvious and clearly aimed at the screen. It took me three weeks to read it. Considering I'm a speed reader, that's bad.

If you want to read a book on a similar theme but one that is actually worth reading, try Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

I was going to suggest that this ought to be in the All Things Literary thread, but you know...literary...not.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
      Does it have to be an appreciative post?

Frankly, The Da Vinci Code is drivel. That it's been taken as literal truth is astonishing considering practically every point can be debunked. It's a novel. And a poorly written one at that. His dialogue is dreadful and unbelievable as speech, and people who think that exclamation marks convey emotion ought not to be published. e.g. Football jocks getting all excited over Fibonnaci numbers. Gosh! Oh, the symbolism. Good lord...

According to Wikipedia, the authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (another amusing book) have attempted to sue Brown, for plagiarism. Along the way, Brown also disses them in the process.

As a mystery, it's shriekingly obvious and clearly aimed at the screen. It took me three weeks to read it. Considering I'm a speed reader, that's bad.

If you want to read a book on a similar theme but one that is actually worth reading, try Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

I was going to suggest that this ought to be in the All Things Literary thread, but you know...literary...not.
      Any discussion is appreciated. I for one did find it amazing that certain things in the book were taken as literal fact, but that's what makes this book interesting, whether it be good or not, but the fact that it did generate a lot of talk and discussion. It's amazing that there's even a course about this book, disecting it and discussing it to the endth degree.

Personally, I just find it interesting. I guess you haven't read his other books, right? You might like the other two that dealt with NASA and the NSA.
      My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

I've wasted enough on Matthew Reilly's books, so I'm not going to waste my time on anymore of Dan Brown's stuff. Might get the new Miles Franklin winner instead. Support some Australian lit instead.

Comment

I've wasted enough on Matthew Reilly's books, so I'm not going to waste my time on anymore of Dan Brown's stuff. Might get the new Miles Franklin winner instead. Support some Australian lit instead.
          You don't have to buy the books, you could always go to the library And I have done my bit in supporting Aussie lit. and I must say "The Power of One" and "Tandia" are two of the best I've read from Bryce Courtney.
          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

ive read it... its great book There are good characters, there is great and very interesting story... i love it!!!

Comment

i got it and read it its a great book and Made for the big screen.
              Another good book spoofing it is called the Va Dinci Cod. Now thats a good book
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

The Da Vinci Code is good if you treat it for what it is, A work of fiction. I liked Angels and Demons much better, I read it 3 months before the Pope died so I followed the whole ritual of Pope choosing carefully. Digital Fortress was crap

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                  You don't have to buy the books, you could always go to the library And I have done my bit in supporting Aussie lit. and I must say "The Power of One" and "Tandia" are two of the best I've read from Bryce Courtney.
                  :snicker: Bryce Courtney has said that he doesn't write books, he writes Christmas presents. Crap writer but I admire his marketing skills.

Nope, I have no intention of wasting anymore time on reading Dan Brown's nonsense. The three weeks I wasted on The Da Vinci Code were enough.

Comment

:snicker: Bryce Courtney has said that he doesn't write books, he writes Christmas presents. Crap writer but I admire his marketing skills.
                    I guess you're not a Bryce Courtney fan either.

Nope, I have no intention of wasting anymore time on reading Dan Brown's nonsense. The three weeks I wasted on The Da Vinci Code were enough.
                    Fair enough.
                    My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                      The Da Vinci Code is good if you treat it for what it is, A work of fiction. I liked Angels and Demons much better, I read it 3 months before the Pope died so I followed the whole ritual of Pope choosing carefully. Digital Fortress was crap
                      Yes, Angels and Demons did give us an insight on how the next Pope is chosen.
                      As for Digital Fortress, the story line was not as good, but I did find all that NSA and the internet IT mumbo jumbo an eye opener, especially the bit about emails being read by secret agents, if it can be believed.
                      My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

I'd have to say I'm not terribly impressed with his books, either. I've read Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress, and both struck me as formulaic and rather similar to each other, and many of the characters seem to have contracted a pretty bad case of Mary Sue-itis. It's like Dan Brown has only actually written one story, and varies details of the setting slightly for each book.

Not being Christian, I guess I didn't find the whole Mary Magdalene thing to be as shocking or interesting as a lot of people. As for it's historical accuracy, I'm not nearly knowledgeable to say, but if his laughably bad comprehension of cryptography is any guage, I'd be take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                          I really enjoyed The Power of One and Tandia

Comment

Working...
                          X