Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Out of Mind (222)

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    But we didn't see what was behind the door.

Seaboe
    Right - maybe there were just brooms and some detergent.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    No, although I occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis. It's scary but it passes. However, point taken.
    Oh, sleep paralysis... that's thoroughly scary. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Right - maybe there were just brooms and some detergent.
    Then I sincerely hope Jack picked the right door cause if I remember correctly he really needed to go.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Oh goddess, I have no patience for clip shows and this is a season finale episode. What were they even thinking?

*checks companion guide*

Oh, they had a cool idea and it could only work with Hathor in play.

Well, I'm not sure it as a cool idea to end a season with a cliffhanger...

Anyway, beyond the clips, the 15 minute story we do get is fairly okay. It takes quite a bit of elaborate planning to set up the future SGC, to prep the players, to spin the story and then hope to god (no pun intended) that all goes well on premiere night. But I can't say I'm entertained. I actually checked a couple of times how many more minutes the episode was gonna last cause ... boring...

Nope, not a fan. Bring on season 3 with the second part and let's move away after that and never look back.

How would you rate SG-1's "Out of Mind?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

3-episode quiz (Show And Tell, 1969 & Out Of Mind) -- this way!

And the jigsaw puzzle for this episode -- Out Of Mind
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; January 16th, 2018 at 03:37 PM.

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

8 minutes and 22 seconds later I'm done with all the jigsaw puzzles... Onwards to season 3.

I don't know if you notice but I rarely give an episode an excellent or terrible. Its rare for an episode to be perfect or have no redeeming quality. This episode is the exception. It's unforgivable to make a clip show as the season finale. I kind of feel like Hathor was added on to make the episode a cliffhanger.

I got a 12/15 on the quiz and my puzzle time was 7 minutes and 38 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I like your assessment and comments regarding this episode. While a clip-show, I still enjoy it. Watched it last night and realized it had been fifteen years since I'd last seen it
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

That's strange because my wife and I watched this last night and both thought his hair looked different in this episode - it doesn't look like this in any other episode.
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by photoglyph View Post
    That's strange because my wife and I watched this last night and both thought his hair looked different in this episode
    Who are you talking about?

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

GateGhost said:
    October 14th, 2011 04:08 PM
    “My favorite part of this episode is MS hair cut, it made him look much younger“

Captain

Okay, thanks.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by photoglyph View Post
    GateGhost said:
    October 14th, 2011 04:08 PM
    “My favorite part of this episode is MS hair cut, it made him look much younger“
    With regards to this quote... Photoglyph, perhaps interesting to know, you can quite easily "Reply with quote" or if you want to quote multiple posts, just click the button right next to "Reply with quote" -- that's the multiquote button.

At which point you can erase text you don't need, and only reply to the text you do want to reply to. As long as you don't remove the [ quote ][/ quote ]-tags, you're good.

Error (?)

1. They have upgraded the Nox city animation:
    http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/2x22/01.jpg
    http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/2x22/02.jpg
    My comment : I wouldn't count this as a mistake as they corrected a not so convincing painting type animation into a rotating one.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

15.38. But this is only season 2, I will get better with practice, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    15.38. But this is only season 2, I will get better with practice, I hope.
    I got better with practice. You will, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    8 minutes and 22 seconds later I'm done with all the jigsaw puzzles... Onwards to season 3.
    8 minutes and 26 seconds later... I am foiled again!

Despite being a sneaky way to revisit clips from past episodes, this was a pretty fun concept...

Quote Originally Posted by lunasera View Post
    8 minutes and 26 seconds later... I am foiled again!
    Feeling the hot breath in my neck there...

I feel nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I feel nothing
    Bahahaha I'm sure you don't .... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasera View Post
    Bahahaha I'm sure you don't .... yet.
    Oooooh....

I just rewatched the episode for the first time since 2006, and I was a bit surprised to see Hathor appear out of thin air in the fake gate room. I'm assuming they didn't intend for her to be cloaked since the interrogators seemed shocked to learn that the Nox could "make themselves invisible," which leaves teleportation. So much for it being a big deal later on when Anubis (and then Ba'al) get their hands on Asgard beaming technology.

I'm not going to read too much into it, though. I assume it was just an easy way to bring her into the scene and the writers later regretted it like they did with a ZAT's third shot, so they "disappeared" it.

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Besides which, I don't know anyone who remembers or dreams from a third-person perspective.
    *raises hand* Uh, I do that regularly, and until just now I didn't know that there were people who didn't. It seems natural to me to envision a memory as a third-person narrative. Do you not do that when you tell a story about yourself to someone? When I remember things, I'm telling myself a story, so I fill in things that I didn't see in the moment like myself and the entirety of room around me (usually in broad strokes). It also seems natural to see yourself in a dream from an outside perspective. I have had first-person dreams, and I have had dreams where the perspective shifts, but third-person is my default. Even though it feels like me in the moment, I'm usually watching myself play a character.

I can't recall there ever being a time in my life when I didn't do this, and I have a really good recall of my life from 5 on, in large part because I always spent a lot of time replaying memories in my head. As a result, I have a lot of memories of time spent remembering and of analyzing how I remember. From a very young age I was aware that I was remembering copies of copies of my actual memory, and I was worried about how that would impact their quality over time. I didn't have this reference until years later, but I was essentially concerned that it was like the Asgard cloning process in that by the time I was old and remembered a memory of a memory of a.... x10000 it would have degraded significantly.

I also would analyze how my perspective was distorted in my memories. For example, when remembering a conversation I would place myself and a person I was talking to in the space we were in, and I'd be looking at us from an outside perspective, but I was always the same height as that other person, regardless of if they were adults who actually towered over me or smaller kids.

I'm curious now if third-person memories/dreams are more common in people who become storytellers of some sort. I briefly googled this and found this study:

"Visual perspective

To assess their general tendency to retrieve memories from the 1st or the 3rd person perspective, participants were presented with a description of the two perspectives, drawn from Libby and Eibach (2002):

“Sometimes we “see” a memory from a first-person perspective. In a first-person memory you see the event from the same visual perspective that you originally did; in other words, in your memory you are looking out at your surroundings through your own eyes. However, at other times we “see” a memory from a third-person perspective. In a third-person memory you see the event from an observer's visual perspective; in other words, you can actually see yourself, as well as your surroundings.”

Participants were then asked to complete the following statement, “In general, the visual perspective I have in my memories is…” The response scale ranged from 1 (completely 3rd person) to 10 (completely 1st person). Thus, higher scores indicate retrieval from a more 1st person perspective. In the current sample, visual perspective had a mean of 6.70 (SD = 2.22)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2933036/

The study it cites is behind a paywall, so I don't know what percentage of people said they completely remember in the first-person versus third-person. The numbers this article gives demonstrate that people who remember, not necessarily entirely but mostly, in the first-person are more common, but not overwhelming so. Other passages speak to people switching between perspectives depending on the situation. For example, if you think you've changed a lot from who you used to be, you might view memories of your old self in the third-person. There are also claims that some people may be more inclined to view memories in the third-person as a way to detach themselves from the trauma and there can be positives to teaching people to view certain memories in one perspective or the other.

These don't speak to my experience with third-person memories, but that's probably because this is skewed toward patients receiving treatment for something. I'll have to look into this more when I have some time.
    Last edited by Xaeden; May 4th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.