1969 (221)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Believer
    When it is finally proved to me that Time travel is impossible, and I mean PROVED, then I'll believe it.
    Ok. Can do.

Example 1: Killing your own grandfather, so that you're never born, meaning that you can't kill your grandfather, meaning that you're born, meaning that you kill your grandfather etc. (Mentioned in the episode IIRC and promptly ignored.)

Example 2: You find a way to send signals a few seconds back in time. You rig some C4 to the radio transceiver, and set it to explode as soon as the signal arrives. You wait a bit and send the signal back in time. The signal arrives. The transceiver explodes. The signal is not sent. The transceiver doesn't explode... (And so on and so forth...)

Stargate-style time travel leads to absurdity. This proves that it's impossible. (Reductio ad absurdum.)

(The simple fix: Alternate realities. Don't like those very much either, but a "1969 reality" would provide the exact same opportunity to put Teal'c in a funny wig.)
    As for TV time travel, come on. It's been the basis for whole TV's series!
    Yes. Really, really bad TV series. (Was I somehow unclear about my opinion on this. )
    And if you think time travel is "stupid", you must really not like alot of the writers' storylines in SG-1. Where should I start? OK, I'll be VERY brief....how about Dr. Frasier, finding cures for everything????? Now that takes real suspension of belief!
    She doesn't "find cures for everything". If anything, her main task seems to be to either declare that nothing is wrong, or to discover some unfixable "brain problem".

More importantly, there's nothing inherently illogical about finding a cure for a disease, even a super-science cure for a super-science disease from the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Iku Rex
      Ok. Can do.

Example 1: Killing your own grandfather, so that you're never born, meaning that you can't kill your grandfather, meaning that you're born, meaning that you kill your grandfather etc. (Mentioned in the episode IIRC and promptly ignored.)

Example 2: You find a way to send signals a few seconds back in time. You rig some C4 to the radio transceiver, and set it to explode as soon as the signal arrives. You wait a bit and send the signal back in time. The signal arrives. The transceiver explodes. The signal is not sent. The transceiver doesn't explode... (And so on and so forth...)

Stargate-style time travel leads to absurdity. This proves that it's impossible. (Reductio ad absurdum.)

(The simple fix: Alternate realities. Don't like those very much either, but a "1969 reality" would provide the exact same opportunity to put Teal'c in a funny wig.)
      Yes. Really, really bad TV series. (Was I somehow unclear about my opinion on this. )
      She doesn't "find cures for everything". If anything, her main task seems to be to either declare that nothing is wrong, or to discover some unfixable "brain problem".

More importantly, there's nothing inherently illogical about finding a cure for a disease, even a super-science cure for a super-science disease from the show.
      Sorry, but I just read both posts and you haven't "proved" anything, except you have your own opinions and Believer has his.

As for "there is nothing inherently illogical about finding a cure for a disease", well, yes there is, when you find it as quickly as Dr. Fraiser did, considering how long, in real life, it takes. Come on, you get real. Fraiser solved problems our best docs and research scientists would be struggling over for years. She saw things we have only dreamt of, yet she found a way to "fix" MANY of them, all inside of one episode. I loved her character, but that, in addition to several real medical errors, was my only beef with it.

But that's just my opinion (although maybe a bit more informed than yours, but maybe not). Oh, and if you are still in school, the Latin is fine, but you need a logic course, to use it properly.
      Last edited by Lida; 11 May 2005, 05:43 AM.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
        Sorry, but I just read both posts and you haven't "proved" anything, except you have your own opinions and Believer has his.
        Your inability to understand the proof does not make it invalid.

Comment

Iku, your "proofs" are not really proofs that time travel is impossible. But merely examples of conundrums that time travel could cause. It doesn't mean someone couldn't go back in time and see their grandfather when he was young. It just talks about how would things transpire if that person were to then kill their grandfather.

Comment

Yes. Really, really bad TV series.
            Like the new series of Doctor Who? That's anything but bad!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
              Like the new series of Doctor Who? That's anything but bad!
              Too right...well said

Comment

Your inability to understand the proof does not make it invalid.
                Iku Rex, you offered logic. Good logic, but it presupposes that the phenomenon of time works on the principles of logic upon which your argument was based. And you have no scientific basis to make that claim because our understanding of the physics of time is far too limited to hazard even an educated guess about its complexities. Many, many centuries ago, Aristotle did much the same thing when he was trying to determine the way the natural world worked. His suppositions were quite elegantly logical. Unfortunately, as later scholars found, when you actually try them out, they don't match reality.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that we, like the people of Aristotle's day, simply don't have the ability to test your hypothesis to see if it's correct. And we're missing most of the evidence.
                My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

1969 a good year shame i wasent alive oh well good episode one of my favourites for season 2 great follown on with 2010.
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

You are not honestly arguing over 'time travel' in SciFi shows here, are you? lol I mean, c'mon why else do we watch it, but to see that kind of stuff.
                    I actually love all the time travel shows. Maybe just because, I'd love to go back in time and see how things were before I was born.
                    1969 was funny, not as angsty as 2010. But I love both episdes. But well, I am obsessed with SG anyway, so...forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                      I don't remember that scene in the pic being in the episode... it must have been a publicity shot.
                      Neither do I.... they are nice pics, though.
                      Courses that I would most definitively take at the Stargate University:

Ascension, Descension and the importance of flags, by Dr. Daniel Jackson
                      (Thanks to Merentha for proposing it!)

Comment

Could anyone please explain me how did Sam know when exactly they would arrive in the future to tell Cassie to be there?
                        Solar flares are random, no matter the year....
                        Courses that I would most definitively take at the Stargate University:

Ascension, Descension and the importance of flags, by Dr. Daniel Jackson
                        (Thanks to Merentha for proposing it!)

Comment

In the episode 1969, how does casandra(the one from the future) open the stargate without the unstable worm hole and without the chevrons moving? Did I miss something, or does no one know?

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                            In the episode 1969, how does casandra(the one from the future) open the stargate without the unstable worm hole and without the chevrons moving? Did I miss something, or does no one know?
                            She had a device on her wrist, which looked suspiciously Goa'uld, in design, but a similar device has also been used by the Nox. As she touched it and the wormhole opened, I would think that's how she did it. So to answer your question, you did miss something.
                            Last edited by Atteria; 01 July 2005, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I think the device deffo looked alien - I thought it looked like the same device Thor used to active the gate in "Small Victories".

Comment

Just ignore the plot devices, you´ll be happier that way

But more seriously, it was meant to show that humans on Earth will in the future have advanced greatly and be able to do stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X