No announcement yet.

1969 (221)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the begining after the soldier hit Jack full in the face with the but of a gun, we see a scratch on his eye-brow that steadily heals throughout the episode. Is this where Jack got his eye-brow scare that they were making fun of in Wormhole Ex-teme?

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
    Spoiler:

Comment

I wasn't too crazy about this episode.

And I had serious issues with the logic of the whole time travel thing. SmartFox said it well -- it just doesn't pan out. And there was no 'point' in them going back in time. They went back in time to return to the future? Sounds pretty pointless to me.

Comment

There's a couple of things about the episode that have got me thinking...

The scene with Cassandra towards the end is a little odd. For one thing, the entire gate room looks to be moth-balled up, which is unlikely. Even if Earth develops reliable spaceships by this time period, certainly the gate would not be left to collect dust under a mountain. 2010 gives us a better idea about what would likely happen.

I know some people have suggested that maybe the people in the future knew what was coming and orchestrated the whole thing, but that seems a bit too contrived for me. Then the thought struck me, what if Cassandra was ascended and "magicked" the whole thing? Her attire gave me that ancient-esque feeling. It would easily explain a lot of things, including her mastery of using the stargate for time travel with relative ease.

I'm sure that wasn't a thought when the episode was made, but with hindsight it would seem plausible.

Comment

I would like to see this episode remade, but from a 1969 perspective.

I would like to think that Lieutenant Hammond was either lying or mistaking when he said all the SG-1 equipment, was in those boxes, when they were destroyed. Maybe as a lieutenant he did not yet have clearance that he does have now. He was not there when the equipment was loaded onto the second truck. I like to think that Major Thornbird took one or two Zat guns and all the recorded tapes before the second truck left.

The tapes recorded SG-1's arrival. I wonder at what point they appear. It was suggested that they were in both time periods at the same time. Maybe the cameras picked up images of the stargate(2000) in action.

The holding cell, where SG-1 talked about traveling in time, could have been bugged.

I wonder what happened after the soldiers were found, knocked out and who found them.

The stargate in 1969: I wonder what happened after it was seen in operation.

Comment

I had to register just to comment on this episode.

It's bad. It's really, really bad.

Why can't TV writers understand that time travel is stupid? It is absurd. It is impossible. <Sigh>.

The time travel rules in the Stargate SG-1 reality require a silly, predetermined universe with no free will, yet the main characters keep whining about how they shouldn't "change" anything (important). As if they could.

Comment

Originally posted by line17
              I would like to see this episode remade, but from a 1969 perspective.

The stargate in 1969: I wonder what happened after it was seen in operation.
              Good point, what was the fallout after the "ancient artifact" (Stargate) was seen in operation in 1969? Must've made TPTB in the military wonder about what it was, and who the people were who fired on the guards, and used the 'device' and disappeared. All that MUST exist in some file or report SOMEWHERE. And coincidentally, Catherine picks just around that time to renew interest & study of the Stargate. I'm sure somebody would have put two and two together.

Like many others, I too have trouble with time-travel episodes, and 1969 is a perfect example of why: 1999: General Hammond gives Carter a note. 1969: Lt. Hammond reads the note & follows the directions. When Lt Hammond gets older, becomes general, and the year is once again 1999, does he write ANOTHER note to give to Carter? How many times does that particular loop occur? Boggles the mind.

Another things that bugs me about this episode is how easily things seem to fall into place. The hippie bus drives up to the local neighborhood observatory, and Jack & Teal'c go in. They just walk right in--no questions asked, no explanation given--and apparently have the whole place to themselves. No guards, no employees, no bothersome distractions. (For the record, Voyager had an almost identical scenario, but at least there were people there that Tom Paris had to do some fast talking to.)
              Then, when they find the armory (and there are HOW MANY armories in Washington? Yet they manage to find the right one), the Stargate is conveniently stored on its end, and not piled behind a bunch of boxes and crates. It's too easily accessible. Oh, and there happen to be a number of large military vehicles within 20 yards to provide power to get the gate going.

i know I sound like I'm nitpicking & complaining, and I guess I am, but what's odd is that I actually LIKE this episode. I think it presents some great scenes and has some great fun. But the coincidences and glossing over of major details can't help but rankle.

To recap: HATE time-travel episodes (hint, hint), but LOVE the semi-comic episodes, and fish-out-of-water scenes can be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                Good point, what was the fallout after the "ancient artifact" (Stargate) was seen in operation in 1969? Must've made TPTB in the military wonder about what it was, and who the people were who fired on the guards, and used the 'device' and disappeared. All that MUST exist in some file or report SOMEWHERE. And coincidentally, Catherine picks just around that time to renew interest & study of the Stargate. I'm sure somebody would have put two and two together.

Like many others, I too have trouble with time-travel episodes, and 1969 is a perfect example of why: 1999: General Hammond gives Carter a note. 1969: Lt. Hammond reads the note & follows the directions. When Lt Hammond gets older, becomes general, and the year is once again 1999, does he write ANOTHER note to give to Carter? How many times does that particular loop occur? Boggles the mind.

Another things that bugs me about this episode is how easily things seem to fall into place. The hippie bus drives up to the local neighborhood observatory, and Jack & Teal'c go in. They just walk right in--no questions asked, no explanation given--and apparently have the whole place to themselves. No guards, no employees, no bothersome distractions. (For the record, Voyager had an almost identical scenario, but at least there were people there that Tom Paris had to do some fast talking to.)
                Then, when they find the armory (and there are HOW MANY armories in Washington? Yet they manage to find the right one), the Stargate is conveniently stored on its end, and not piled behind a bunch of boxes and crates. It's too easily accessible. Oh, and there happen to be a number of large military vehicles within 20 yards to provide power to get the gate going.

i know I sound like I'm nitpicking & complaining, and I guess I am, but what's odd is that I actually LIKE this episode. I think it presents some great scenes and has some great fun. But the coincidences and glossing over of major details can't help but rankle.

To recap: HATE time-travel episodes (hint, hint), but LOVE the semi-comic episodes, and fish-out-of-water scenes can be a lot of fun.
                OK, 1969 has never been one of my favorites, but it is enjoyable to watch...has some great lines in it and yes, I too hate time travel episodes.

However, even with the gaping plot holes, remember, it's just a TV show.....and with a limited number of minutes to present a cohesive story, sometimes you have to suspend belief, just a tad.
                On fighting:
                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I loved this episode, (faults and all). Loved Hammond at the end, asking for his money, with interest.

An interesting thing. I re-watched the pilot yesterday and when Hammond was contemplating whether to lock out the iris/codes, I wondered if he was remembering helping SG-1 in 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
                    I loved this episode, (faults and all). Loved Hammond at the end, asking for his money, with interest.

An interesting thing. I re-watched the pilot yesterday and when Hammond was contemplating whether to lock out the iris/codes, I wondered if he was remembering helping SG-1 in 1969.
                    He had to have been. And I'm not just saying it because I love all those fanfics that deal with this stuff from his pov; 1969 was one hell of a weird thing in his early life. If it were me, I'd sure as hell be curious about it.
                    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

i liked this ep even though time travel is impossible. it just made me laugh. i really loved all the clothes. they looked so groovy! hehe
                      Save us from danger, save us from evil
                      Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by Iku Rex

Why can't TV writers understand that time travel is stupid? It is absurd. It is impossible. <Sigh>.

The time travel rules in the Stargate SG-1 reality require a silly, predetermined universe with no free will, yet the main characters keep whining about how they shouldn't "change" anything (important). As if they could.
                        IMO if you joined GW just to slag off 1969 then that's just sad. This is far from the worst SG episode made (thinks 'lots of others'...maybe not lots, but you get my drift)
                        Last edited by Egeria; 09 May 2005, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Egeria, I don't think there are a lot of bad SG episodes. Even some of the 'worst' have their redeeming qualities.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
                            Egeria, I don't think there are a lot of bad SG episodes. Even some of the 'worst' have their redeeming qualities.
                            I have to agree. I used to dislike 1969, but the more I watch it, the more things I see in it I missed. I've learned that even the episodes I thought were not up to SG-1's usual great quality, usually had redeeming moments in them, and were worth watching. But then I'm a fanantic, so what does my opinion count for?
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Iku Rex

When it is finally proved to me that Time travel is impossible, and I mean PROVED, then I'll believe it. As for TV time travel, come on. It's been the basis for whole TV's series!

And if you think time travel is "stupid", you must really not like alot of the writers' storylines in SG-1. Where should I start? OK, I'll be VERY brief....how about Dr. Frasier, finding cures for everything????? Now that takes real suspension of belief!

I enjoyed watching the episode 1969, time travel and all.
                              "After all is said and done, more is said, than done." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                                IMO if you joined GW just to slag off 1969 then that's just sad. This is far from the worst SG episode made (thinks 'lots of others')
                                I wouldn't say lots of others, but they do definitely exist. I've always enjoyed this one, personlly. And as someone else said, there are always good points even to bad eps. Well. Usually, there are. There's one ep in particular that has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, but I can't tell you which one because I've blocked it from my memory completely.
                                My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                                -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                                -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                                -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Working...
                                X