This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump the Shark yet?

While I enjoy SG-1 and SGA, I wonder if we are about to jump the shark. Most shows will leave on a winning season with high numbers and the fans wanting more.

But I have wondered are we about to jump the shark in S9? Will the newest evil outweigh the Gou'ald, replicators (Lego version and human), ascended bad guys, and the power hungry politicians.

Could we have lived with the S8 being the last? Will our characters fulfill the ‘thunk’ threads on many websites? Could be live without new adventures of SG-1? Will Merlin type adventures match or surpass the Gou’ald?

Only time will tell, but I would like to think the shark is still deep at sea.
    The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Jumping on sharks? Sounds interesting.

Personally, i'm going to wait and give the next season a fair chance. Yeah, there are going to new faces, and changes. But i'm willing to give SG-1 S9 a chance. If the first episodes are a knock-out, then the rest of the season should be pretty good. Reading the various spoilers, it seems S9 is going to be good.

Comment

I think SG-1 jumped the Shark a while ago. There are good episodes now and again.... I for one LOVED "Threads" and "Moebius", but all in all this season was a disappointment. A "Teal'c Murder Mystery"? Weak. "Replicarter"? Also weak. A "Virtual Reality" episode? Weaker still. This are the ideas of a show that is running out of steam.

But the show didn't so much run out of ideas, but got stuck in the same place with them thinking each season was the last, and limiting themselves with R.D.A.'s reduced screen time.

Season 9 they get to make a fresh break. They can either save the show, or ruin it. Will Ben Browder be remembered as Jon Sheridan in "Babylon 5" (at least as good if not better), or as John Dogget on "The X-Files" (the beginning of the end). Personally I hope it works. I want to see some better scifi, like Stargate's earlier seasons, and Browder doesn't deserve to get a stone like that tied around his neck.

As for Stargate Atlantis... I'm still waiting for it to get GOOD. So far, it is no stronger, or weaker, than Trek TNG the first season. At the time, TNG was all there was to be had, so it didn't suffer by comparison. SGA just hasn't managed to make its characters people I care about, hasn't managed to make its villains interesting or new enough from earlier Stargate, and hasn't managed to be worthwhile if I weren't waiting for BSG to come on in an hour. I'm hopeful that like other scifi shows, Atlantis will find its voice this season.

Comment

If you search back far enough... you can find threads that talk about "jumping the shark" for season's 7 & 8! And those turned out pretty darn good!! In my opinion some of the best episodes where in those seasons...

So don't worry about doubting the upcoming season, fans have been doing that for as long as I can remember. Wait till you actually see the episodes before wondering if they jumped the shark

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

i could have lived with s6 being the last

yes, there have been what i find to be hidden gems in s7 and 8, however, for me, both of these have been feast or famine and very inconsistent

part of it can be attributed to rda's schedule, however i also have to wonder how much of that is using the excuse of rda's schedule to cover up for folks that are breathing some rarified air.

we have basically the same group of writers who are also producers. same old blood cranking out the same old eps. anything gets stale without an infusion of different perspectives adn ideas

to put it in a fanfic way, the boys are basially writing without a beta or proof reader, and have a habit of falling in love with thier own ideas and will and do, sacrifice the character for the sake of fulfilling those ideas.

now that they have atlantis, did they get a new crew??? no, they did get some new folks but over all instead of cranking out 20 eps, they're now cranking out 40, in the same expanses of time

is it any wonder that we get episodes that are full of plot holes or endless homages to other shows/movies?

between the clumsy writing, apparant lack of willingness to add characters back when it made sense - you would have thougt they would have learned from ms leaving to start to build up some supporting characters rather than using guest star of the week - cross over of ideas (both a sg and atlantis eps with a 'killer black cloud????) and now this - you've put off maintenance so long you now need a new car, influx of new characters, this upcoming season will literally be make it or break it

which, i think, is why we're so getting the hard sell. this season will either go down as a last desperate bid to squeeeeezzzeee the last penny out of it, or it'll go down as a major and fantastic turning point

given the huge inconsistency in quality we've had for the past 2 years, i honestly dont' have a lot of faith in them pulling it off. the harder i hear them pimping the 'better and improved' stargate the more i'm rolling my eyes and acknowledging that they're scared witless. they're as full of doubts as we are.

thing is, for us it could just mean finding a new show to watch on friday nights, for them it's hitting the bricks lookinig for a new job. which i'd be scared to do iwth s7 and 8 on my resume
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I thought I saw Fonzie on waterskis jumping through the Stargate at some point during season 7. Yeah, SG-1 jumped the shark during season 7. However, I don't think that it was like a lot of shows and jump during one episode, but started heading for the ramp during season 6 and just spent season 7 airborn. Who knows now though? Maybe season 7 and 8 were just slumps and they'll come back during season 9. I have my doubts, but I'm usually wrong.

As for Atlantis- it's just starting out, and it's had it's moments so it hasn't jumped yet.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I'm probably one of the few people who have enjoyed seasons seven and eight. In my eyes, the series has come into its own. Seasons one and two, I honestly didn't enjoy them as much as the later ones. They had some fantastic episodes, don't get be wrong, but they had more that I'm not too fond of. Now, when we talk about season three, that's when we really start rolling. Seasons 4 and five also were fantastic. Season six, with the introduction of Jonas was great as well, different, but the core was there. Then we get into season seven, which, despite RDA's reduced screen time, still produced some great episodes. Of those twenty-two, "Enemy Mine," "Grace," and "Resurrection" were really the only episodes that I didn't like. "Revisions" was a little predictable, but otherwise, it was a good season. And, in season eight, I really only didn't like "Icon."

I'm telling ya, I am so excited for season nine that it's just crazy. They've got so much great stuff going on from all the spoilers that I've read and I just can't wait. BRING ON SEASON NINE (and season two of Atlantis also please)!
              Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

we have basically the same group of writers who are also producers. same old blood cranking out the same old eps. anything gets stale without an infusion of different perspectives adn ideas

to put it in a fanfic way, the boys are basially writing without a beta or proof reader, and have a habit of falling in love with thier own ideas and will and do, sacrifice the character for the sake of fulfilling those ideas.
                I think a new type of writer would add life to the show. A woman! Does anyone remember D.C. Fontana? She wrote some of the best episodes of the original "Star Trek". I think she's available. No really, I believe they've never had a female staff writer on either show. Something is very wrong there.
                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Stargate seems to be one of the few exceptions for TV shows that run 6+ seasons. Most fade away or become stale and retentive, almost hard to watch (ie. X-Files, Simpsons, Andromeda) and a few others. Maybe its just my personal opinion but SG is like fine wine. It seems to be holding up very well with age.

They did what they had to, to re-invent and breathe new life into the show with all the new charcters, villain's and races. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes from here and if the new formula is gonna work.

For Atlantis, the first season was ok, it got much better towards the end of the season and the way they set it up for season II looks promising.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I think that every season has had great shows. I was very disapointed in this season's shows, but they really pulled it off in the end, didn't they.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                      I think a new type of writer would add life to the show. A woman! Does anyone remember D.C. Fontana? She wrote some of the best episodes of the original "Star Trek". I think she's available. No really, I believe they've never had a female staff writer on either show. Something is very wrong there.
                      Katharyn Powers wrote a number of episodes in seasons 1-4 & 6 of SG-1 (although she could be freelance, I'm not sure). Heather E. Ash wrote five episodes.

On the Atlantis side of things, they've had several freelance stories (good ones at that!) submitted by women. Kerry Golver wrote the story for "Suspicion." (She was also involved in Stargate: Infinity. Also, Jill Blotevogel wrote the story for "The Storm."

So, essentially, Stargate goes employ women!
                      Rocky

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Rocky. Here's another clarification:

A quote from Martin Gero: "We have had female staff writers, we just don’t right now. There’s no conspiracy…we’ve just been unlucky finding great female sci-fi TV writers. (This season our only freelance script was written by Melissa Robin Byer and Treena Beth Hancock, but they were unable to come on staff.)"

I guess this stuck in my craw (whatever a craw is) because I found it a little insulting and condescending.

The reason that I think they should hire a female staff writer is that they would have more influence on the course of the show. I don't want to dwell on this too much, but as a woman who writes for a living, I don't like to see women excluded from jobs. We are more than 50% of the population, but in television women are still a minority.

I'm pulling us off the topic so "nuff said.

Comment

I also think a GOOD permanent female staff writer could have been an asset to the show. Not that men aren't capable of writing women. They are. And females can write men. But as the book said - there are just some areas where "Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus".

Back on-topic.

I think most shows have natural life cycles. Stargate kind of peaked in quality in S3-S4 and then started declining. The shark started circling. I still found plenty to enjoy but overall I didn't love as many of the episodes.

S7 and S8 have been weird because they feel like they've been tacked on to the normal life cycle of a show. It's like the shark did a practice jump and then circled back around and is in some sort of weird holding tank. Just waiting for another opportunity.

I understand S7 and S8 have been very difficult. They've had issues dealing with a star who was only available 9 days a month. The rest of the cast barely seemed to know what episode they were working on at times as they shot 3-4 episodes at a time. They've had budget problems. But most importantly they've been scrambling to extend the life of the show by rehashing and winding down old storylines while simultaneously using SG-1 to support the launch of Atlantis.

I can't say I wish S7 and S8 hadn't been made because there are episodes I've enjoyed in both seasons. But overall I can't say they've been fantastic seasons. S8 had a good run at the end, I thought. Enjoyed Reckoning I and II, Threads and Moebius.

S9 - who knows? If they're determined to produce another season I think they're doing the right thing by writing out Jack and bringing in some new blood. As much as I'll miss some of the elements Jack brought to the show it was vital to move forward. I think Ben and Claudia and Beau could introduce some new character dynamics that could even revitalize the old characters. But they aren't writing the show - and it all comes down to the writing.

I'm terribly curious, i admit. I want to see if they can pull it off. If they manage to jumpstart the show for another 4-5 seasons it will be an impressive feat. I just don't think the odds are in their favor. But I'll be watching. And - honestly - I hope they pull it off. As much as i rag on the writing at times I think they're basically a good group up at Bridge studios and I'd like to see them succeed.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I sometimes think it is better to overwrite a show then to underdo it. I really liked Earth 2 and Space: Above and Beyond. We were told these stories and left with chiffhangers. I wanted to know how they were going to to pan out. These shows ended out on kind of highs and I as a viewer felt deprived when they were cancelled.

I'm loving SGA alot and I find some of what I hear about season 9 of SG-1 interesting. I don't have the problem I had with Andromeda where they changed the story line in such a drastic manner to where it turned out just to be a useless series (even though I finished it all).
                            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                            Individuality is freedom lived.
                            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

yes, there have been what i find to be hidden gems in s7 and 8, however, for me, both of these have been feast or famine and very inconsistent
                              Yes! I completely agree!

The show seemed to start going down hill after the end of Season 5. There were quite a few good episodes in Season 6 in my opinion (and I love Jonas) but the overall feeling was just... I don't know... Just... down.

I found alot of episode in Season 7 weren't that good, and some were good until the 30 or 35 minute mark (ie. Lifeboat - quick solution, bad ending).

Some were strong for a little bit, and then... 'Meh' for the rest (ie. Enemy Mine - good for the first... I dunno, 12 minute when they were shooting and killing each other. As soon as Chaka came in I rolled my eyes and started to twiddle my thumbs. And laughing too at his costume lol.)

And then were the episodes that were just... Bad all the way through (Space Race - need I say more?), and the boring ones (Grace).

I look at the boxset now, and I can't honestly say that I enjoyed any episode all the way through. Each had big flaws and quick endings or just plain bad plots.

Season 8... Well, it was okay...

New Order Part 1 was really good. Part 2 was down. Lockdown was cool for the most part (who cannot love Daniel shooting up the gateroom? ), Icon almost made me fall asleep lol.

To me, each season has been going down more, and more.

I look at the list of episodes for Season 8 and I just can't pick a favorite episode. Again, didn't enjoy any episode all the way through.

I liked Reckoning Part 1 and 2 for the most part, but I hate the Jaffa storyline. I miss the good ol' days when they used to fight each other, but that could just be me.

Threads was good... If you take out all the shippy crap and just leave it with
                              Spoiler:
                              Jacob dying and Daniel choosing to ascend or not.

And... I'm just not going to go into it anymore lol...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                              X