Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earth built gates in the not so distant future?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth built gates in the not so distant future?

the idea behind the stargate seems to be sound and in theory it could well work but so far the show hasent really disproved the idea of having gates of different sizes a standard gate is good for humans and so on but a wormhole could encompass a ship it would just require a mass amount of power to do so, of course you would have to have a gate at the other end to materialise the object, the idea behing hyperspace seems to be not too different from gate travel but far slower if.

for some time its said that sam carter had a working model of the gate prior to joining sg1 so with all of the new technology they have acquired so far building a gate shouldnt be that far away and to improve upon them a giant gate in space could be better for a spin off series in the future perhaps that could allow huge ships to instantly travel to any location in the galaxy.
    its kinda like the final episode of st voyager where the borg used a hub of tunnels in space to send their ships to areas of particular importance instead of sending them thru warp speed.

i guess im asking why not can you or do you know a reason to disprove this theory and how much dose hyperspace travel differ from gate travel?
    Last edited by Darkstar; 08 June 2005, 06:38 AM. Reason: title
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

LOL

I think we might run out of toasters ... since they are an important part of the homemade stargate.
    The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

I think that could be a possiblity. Hyper space drives wouldn't need to be used as much thus cutting down on power and resources to build the drives. Plus more ships can be sent faster to various parts to the galaxy. One problems with what happens when a big gate dials a little one and thie ship goes through...ut oh! lol

Comment

I'm sure that Area 51 or someone, somewhere has the list of materials from Sam's credit card expenditures by Orin, and they are currently at work on this.

As for the difference in theories of travel...when in a ship one is traveling in subspace, while wormholes tunnel through subspace; something akin to dimensional folding, but that another whole can of worm(holes). And it is JMHO, naturally.

Ever notice that the Nox seemed so willing to help the Tollans buid their stargate? It would seem tha we need to reach that level of technology before they willl ever have much more to do with us...even if it means saving the galaxy from a threat like Anubis or the Replicators.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
          I think that could be a possiblity. Hyper space drives wouldn't need to be used as much thus cutting down on power and resources to build the drives. Plus more ships can be sent faster to various parts to the galaxy. One problems with what happens when a big gate dials a little one and thie ship goes through...ut oh! lol
          Lol haahaha yeah what than
          Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
            I'm sure that Area 51 or someone, somewhere has the list of materials from Sam's credit card expenditures by Orin, and they are currently at work on this.

As for the difference in theories of travel...when in a ship one is traveling in subspace, while wormholes tunnel through subspace; something akin to dimensional folding, but that another whole can of worm(holes). And it is JMHO, naturally.

Ever notice that the Nox seemed so willing to help the Tollans buid their stargate? It would seem tha we need to reach that level of technology before they willl ever have much more to do with us...even if it means saving the galaxy from a threat like Anubis or the Replicators.
            yeah that prototype of Orlin could help a lot. Maybe they can use it sometime aboard the Prometheus of the Deadalus or do they have a stargate themself build in the BC 303.

As for the Tollan who said that they needed help from the Nox to build their stargate? I don't think that the Tollan need help to build their own stargate
            Lord Zedd

Comment

i played this game once that has stargates in space ( they were called portals not gates for obvious reasons) but it was on the same principle, they didnt have hyperspace tech so they built the gates to move thier ships.
              orlins SG could be a step forward towards builting our own gate, think about it, all we need in to know exactly how one of the most advanced transportation systems ever constructed is built and replicate it, also wed need to know everything about all the ancient programing language to get a lock and enough knowledge of the gate netowrk to program it after that, but no i tihnk in 2 or 3 hundred years a tollan type gate could be feasable,maybe atlantis could shave a century off that.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

just something to think about but did SGC give all those stargates back that Ba'al stole because if a stargate can be transplanted from one planet to another(this was also apophis's plan when he was invading earth for the first time) the Odyssey could get a gate from any unhabited planet and replace the russian stargate with there own just by removing the 8 chevron crystal on the gate an not tell the russians and then take a DHD aswell and make the SGC have the priority gate and put the chinesse in there place as a contributing nation even if they were to make there own program with the DHD active in the SGC all incoming travle would have to come through there. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar

a giant gate in space could be better for a spin off series in the future perhaps that could allow huge ships to instantly travel to any location in the galaxy.
                  Spoiler:
                  The Orii have them.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom
                    Spoiler:
                    The Orii have them.
                    Yeah, but look at the date this thread was created. It was before season 9. In all fairness to Darkstar, his words were quite prophetic.
                    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                      Yeah, but look at the date this thread was created. It was before season 9. In all fairness to Darkstar, his words were quite prophetic.
                      Darkstar deserves some green for this...his ability to prophesy should be mentioned.
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

ability of copyright infringement of the X2 the thread space gates could be on the verge here!
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim
                          LOL

I think we might run out of toasters ... since they are an important part of the homemade stargate.
                          It was actually a microwave oven.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

But where would he get the naquadah? I thought a Stargate required naquadah to handle the power that the gate would need to establish a wormhole?
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X