This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost In Space Has A Stargate

I was watching Lost In Space (The Movie) tonight and they showed a Stargate that they said could be used to go to far away planets. It is at the first of the movie When Dr. Robinson is giving his lecture on their trip. He calls it a Hypergate. I thought it was pretty neat to see it. Wonder where they got that idea from?

That is slightly diffrent. If I recall corectly the ships jump to hyperspace and normally they would come out at random points in the universe but instead they built these hypergates, they allow them to have something to lock onto so they can travel back and forth between planets, or points in space for that matter using the hyperdrive which normally would not be safe because they wouldn't know where they come out.

Owen Macri

Comment

The way Dr. Robinson described it, with one gate on one end and another gate on the other end, a wormhole would be formed between the two gates and the ship would travel thru the wormhole............sounds like the same thing to me.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty much the same concept as the Stargate. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. XD
        [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I vaugley remember it being more that the ship jumps to hyperspace and it uses the gates as points to lock onto, without the gates they could end up anywhere. But the have to enter one gate to exit another. However I could be wrong so I will check it out.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by racer12_99
            The way Dr. Robinson described it, with one gate on one end and another gate on the other end, a wormhole would be formed between the two gates and the ship would travel thru the wormhole............sounds like the same thing to me.
            As I recall, it sounded a bit like the jump gates in Babylon 5. More so than a Stargate.
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

the "stargate" idea has been around for ages, years and years, however it was really popularized by the movie, and then obviously the shows.

Comment

Anyone ever watch the old buck rogers. They have a device which allows them to travel from one planet to another called "the star gate."
                Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

I believe the hypergate in LIS was more of a jumpgate concept than a stargate per se. Probably similar in some ways, but not exactly the same principle.

Comment

Working...
                  X