This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How You Could Dial Atlantis when it is in space

I think the Ancients would have come up with some kind of device or something that goes on your wrist and tracks Atlantis' position is space and gives its current address

Originally posted by Col. Newman
    I think the Ancients would have come up with some kind of device or something that goes on your wrist and tracks Atlantis' position is space and gives its current address
    As long as Atlantis is somewhere in its current star system, you wouldn't need to worry about it. It is only if they move, that the gate's address becomes invalid. You might say that not knowing Atlantis position in space could also be considered an extra security precaution. In any case, I imagine the Ancients were well enough connected to let each other know if and when the gate address changed and what the new one would be.
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
      In any case, I imagine the Ancients were well enough connected to let each other know if and when the gate address changed and what the new one would be.
      And if they weren't that well connected, they could make sure all the people they didn't like wasn't on Atlantis when they left
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

If you dialed Atlantis at precisly the right time, when it is passing through a solar system, with the correct adress then the gate would connect and stay connected for the duration of 38 minutes, unless no matter came through, etc. It is very unlikley that the Ancients would have dialed Atlantis while it was traveling, I am sure they have some kind of long range comunication device, and they would know that they couldn't go to Atlantis because it is likley that its' large trips, like crossing the galactic gap between the Milky Way and Pegasus, that the trips would be scheduled.

However to dial Atlantis you would need a slightly advanced computer program, you would have to dail all seven, possibly eight if it is traveling in another galaxy. But you would have to dial them premptivley, then they would have to activate at the excact milisecond when it passed through that region. That is only assuming that Sestallions theory is correct. If my theory is actually the correct one it would be far more dificult to dial a gate on a ship in transit, but it would still be possible, however you would also have to program the DHD with the neceary information that would normally be programed in with the coorelative update, so you would have to perform a manual coorelative update before the gate actually resided at the input position.

Owen Macri

Comment

They probably did have those "Citizen Joe" devices. No need to dial in.
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
          LANDRY
          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Ya, if they had the Citizen Joe devices, it is likley that they had something far more advanced.

Owen Macri

Comment

Maybe they (the ancients) could use them (the Joe things) better (extra features) since they were ancients and not people with the gene?

Comment

It is possible but it seems like they only really had one function, however they wouldn't need buttons, because lots of Ancient technology requires a mental element. So you are right, it is possible that they have other cool functions, however these seem like personal comunication devices I was thinking of a more publicized device like that would work with a view screen.

Owen Macri

Comment

You could always attach the CJ devices, or something similar to them, to a screen. They're Ancients, they've thought of everything...
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  LANDRY
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

I am sure that they have some kind of adapter...

Owen Macri

Comment

...To a superhuge flat screen TV?

The Ancients had long-range communication devices, and probably made the best of 'em.
                      LANDRY
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Instead of a superhuge flatscreen T.V. how about a really big hologram, I think the Ancients have moved beyond two-dimensional projections.

OWen Macri

Comment

They could have set it up in the hologram room from rising and Seige 2.
                          LANDRY
                          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Lol, yes, I assume the holographic projectors would have been used for things other than the Ancient Lady explaining what happend to Atlantis. If that is all that the room was for than they wouldn't have built it onto Atlantis as a seprate specific room because they built Atlantis in MW and the Wraith didn't even exist then. Also, I doubt the Ancients needed to hear the story of Atlantis, I mean, they did live it!

Owen Macri

Comment

It could also be used for education and entertainment, not just communications.
                              LANDRY
                              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Working...
                              X