No announcement yet.

A Matter of Time (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the three-episode puzzle and it took approximately 16 minutes... don't know that I was committing all resources to it but I may be afraid of attempting another one.

I've never actually seen the Stargate movie ~shudder~ just bits of it. As the completist I am, I really should.

Are other quizzes and jigsaw puzzles found in the episode sections or is there a centralized place for them?
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

No, your posts show up later than where you think they'll end up because you're on probie-status, and n00b's are moderated.
      We had a spam-attack a few years back -- it was a nasty one -- and ever since that, newbies have to proof they are human.

I'm just an anthropomorphic bipedal hominid, swimming upstream... so to sprechen.
      "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
        I did the three-episode puzzle and it took approximately 16 minutes... don't know that I was committing all resources to it but I may be afraid of attempting another one.
        Practice makes perfect.

And don't let Jelgate tell you otherwise.

I made a general all-round up thread for all puzzles and quizzes in existence, including the end of season polls --> Go here!

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
        I'm just an anthropomorphic bipedal hominid, swimming upstream... so to sprechen.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

8:29

Sam really shines in this one. I'm not sure if the writers were trying to emphasize how smart Sam is, how dumb Jack is, or how Jack is fooling with Sam with the whole the wormhole in relation to an apple explanation. Sam is brilliant, and Jack is really smart but not as dumb as in that scene. I just wish I knew what the intention was.

I liked the beckground with Cromwell, but it didn't seem to quite fit in here, and the poor guy didn't even get a mention at the end of the episode.

SG10-- not a great way to go.

It was a good episode, it just didn't seem to fit together as a whole. Maybe I am contemplating it too much?

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
            Sam really shines in this one. I'm not sure if the writers were trying to emphasize how smart Sam is, how dumb Jack is, or how Jack is fooling with Sam with the whole the wormhole in relation to an apple explanation. Sam is brilliant, and Jack is really smart but not as dumb as in that scene. I just wish I knew what the intention was.
            Seaboe mentions the dumbing down of Jack in the season 5 episode thread Enemies, I think, but they did it a lot sooner. I don't know why though. It's established that Jack has an interest in astronomy, although his telescope might be used more for spying on the neighbors, so it seems they just want to dumb him down to give Sam a moment to shine. However, we already know she's too smart for her own good and seems to be smart in all fields (which is ridiculous at best).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Seaboe mentions the dumbing down of Jack in the season 5 episode thread Enemies, I think, but they did it a lot sooner. I don't know why though. It's established that Jack has an interest in astronomy, although his telescope might be used more for spying on the neighbors, so it seems they just want to dumb him down to give Sam a moment to shine. However, we already know she's too smart for her own good and seems to be smart in all fields (which is ridiculous at best).
              It's a shame that they do this. Honestly, I think it laziness on the writers' part to dumb down a character, especially when making another character seem smarter. I feel it also serves the character in question an injustice, and cheats the audience to their (the writers) best work. I know that it is very difficult to write scripts every week, and try to keep things fresh and new, but I don't like when they already have an established character and change that character to less than they were orinally written. You do not need to put someone else down to make another better at something.

For example, this past year I watched Smallville for the very first time. Overall, I liked it, but it did have some glaring problems. When the series first began, Clark had abilities and was smart. As the series moved on, they dumbed Clark down to make Chloe seem even smarter. It made me a bit angry truth be told, because Superman is no dummy! ( okay, stepping off of my soapbox now).

Comment

TPTB do this sort of thing all the time. They did it to Jack in Stargate (although, to be fair, RDA contributed because he'd rather have had Jack be funny than smart), they did it to John in Stargate: Atlantis, they did it (as you said) to Clark in Smallville. The pattern can probably be found in other shows, as well.

I think part of it is because there is a general societal perception that men of action are not smart. They can be clever, which is not the same thing.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  I think part of it is because there is a general societal perception that men of action are not smart. They can be clever, which is not the same thing.

Seaboe

Which is ridiculous. Nobody fits in a mold. It probably bothers me even more because my husband was a soldier and very intelligent.

Comment

It's the cliche in television -- stargate had more of those than just dumbing down Jack and John.

Comment

Oh, yeah. Smart men are nerds, men of action are clever but not usually smart, smart women are ugly, female blonds are stupid, all women wear heels, even when running, all women wear makeup, etc., etc.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

...all women wear heels, even when running...
                        If you've seen The X-Files, then you know this scene, but to this date I find that scene where Tea Leoni asks Scully how she runs on those shoes, the best scene ever when it comes to women running in high heels.

Which reminds me that every time a running scene came up in Piper Perabo's CIA tv show, of which I am momentarily not remembering the title, she would be wearing high heels in one scene, and flats the next.

Comment

What triggered that, actually, was an interview with Stephanie Zimbalist about how Remington Steele ruined her feet (she was laughing about it).

Seaboe

Comment

Wow! I am glad that I only wear flats!
                            Last edited by BethHG; 06 July 2018, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Comment

TPTB do this sort of thing all the time. They did it to Jack in Stargate (although, to be fair, RDA contributed because he'd rather have had Jack be funny than smart), they did it to John in Stargate: Atlantis, they did it (as you said) to Clark in Smallville. The pattern can probably be found in other shows, as well.

Seaboe
                                Jake does at many times act dumb, but it is mentioned at some moments that he acts less smart than he really is. Sam said it I think, although I don't remember when. Just my thoughts.

Anyways, SG10 was trapped, but, thanks to the time dilation, they might still be alive later in the show. Perhaps late enough for a rescue mission with a ship such as the prometheus. That is, of course, assuming that SG10 was not killed by the stellar matter that was sucked through the gate when Vorash's sun was destroyed in season 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X