No announcement yet.

The Fifth Race (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THis episode right here is my favourite of all the Seasons of Stargate. Its not action heavy, is directed well and introduces just so much lore. It was from a time when Stargate was truly adventure-action and not action-adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalar View Post
      As far as the ninth chevron goes, I'll be so bold to say that there is only one address that uses the ninth chevron, and it goes to a place of great importance that we haven't figured out yet.

It's a possibility.
      You were correct! :O While there may be other ninth chevron addresses we only know of Destiny's. And I would say that Destiny is pretty important (even if the show sucked).

And yes, I know this is an old topic.
      sigpic

Comment

All of this is still true... I absolutely love stories that involve the Asgard and the Ancients (probably why I love Atlantis so much). Definitely one of my favorite episodes out there in the SG-1 realm.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Squee!! *flails*

So many feels for this episode!

The Asgard! Othala! The Ancients or gate-builders as they are referred to.

Funny dialogue i.e. Jack and Daniel's did-didn't in the briefingroom.
        Jack being all smart and building things he doesn't know what it's used for... not at first anyway. Saving Sam and Teal'c when they get stuck off-world (their goose being cooked à point).

8 CHEVRON ADDRESS!!

*flails some more*

And Lieutenant Simmons -- I love him! He's cute.

Just too many feels to be coherent... we are a curious race with great potential! YESSS!
        How would you rate SG-1's "The Fifth Race?"

Excellent
        Good
        Fair
        Poor
        Terrible
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I bring forth the 3-episode quiz:

Touchstone --> This way!
          A Matter Of Time
          The Fifth Race

...and the jigsaw puzzle for this episode.

Comment

This is one of my rare excellent. Its kind of a no brainer. It introduces us to the Ancients (back when they were interesting) and answers a lot of mystery about the Stargate. This is the first time we learn the Stargates go beyond the Milky Way. In the process the Asgard teach us more about our species. I always wondered why that poor man's ZPM was not used more often.

4 minutes and 52 seconds
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

6 minutes 50 seconds

Comment

What I don't get is since they wanted there to be four races why didn't they just add the Oannes (from the episode "Fire & Water") as members of the Four Races Alliance? They are/were extremely advanced, as well as being enemies of the Goa'uld. They also had an impact on early Earth civilizations (particularly Babylon).

Comment

Well it's not that they wanted there to be four races. There just so happened to be four. But to answer your question of why didn't the Alliance add the Oannes. I'd say level of technology and learning potential. The Ancients and the Asgard were so advanced they could colonize multiple galaxies. We don't see the Nox or the Furlings much but the Nox were evolved to the point they could hide, teleport, even resurrect things with their mind. The Oannes were advanced. Not that advanced though. And they probably didn't show the learning potential the Tau'ri did.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Are they actually "not that advanced?" I do not recall anything from the episode that indicated their overall level of technological development. What the episode did tell us is that Nem's mate, Omoroca went to Earth to fight the Goa'uld, seemingly by herself since neither Nem nor Daniel, in his retelling of the stories, indicated the presence of anyone else; they both exclusively use the singular (e.g. Daniel says Belus killed "the woman"). That Omoroca thought she could succeed under these conditions suggests to me that she had access to superior technology.

Nem is often interpreted as being the "sole survivor" of his race, but the episode refers to "his people" at one point:

DANIEL
                    We could still become friends, your people and— and mine.

CARTER
                    That's why we were here; we meant no harm.

NEM
                    Perhaps, in time.

It's possible that what we have here is a species who does not care/wish to interfere and a rogue who took it upon herself to try to make a difference. Nem, for example, thinks Daniel serves the Goa'uld and still he resists using his device because he does not want to risk damaging him. If this type of thinking is cultural, it may weave into a larger ideology that has led to a decision to remain neutral. In which case, we can't say that their technology must be inferior to the Goa'uld or their population much smaller because their reason for not fighting would be cultural. I don't mean to suggest those first two things are not possible, only that it's difficult to judge where they are actually at technologically based on what little we know.

Comment

12:29, I feel that is a good time as it was fairly difficult, not much differentiation in many of the pieces.
                      "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

I think this episode is excellent, especially the purposeful way that O'Neill assumes the task without knowing why. I've always wanted to compile the Ancient words he unknowingly speaks while the knowledge is taking over.
                        "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

7:55
                          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

*thumbs up*

Comment

Got my yearly Happy Birthday email from the forum and this year actually followed up by watching my favorite episode, The Fifth Race. Loved this entire series and the spin-offs, wish there was one on these days that grabbed me the same way.

Comment

7:45.

I love this episode! Seriously, from beginning to end I had a huge smile on my face. Even my husband and oldest son wandered in to watch it with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X