This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying Advertisments

I realize that the new advertising banners at the top of the page are probably necessary for financial reasons, but is there any chance that they could be moved to the bottom of the webpage? They stick out like a sore thumb at the top.
    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
    Click here to help Save Ford!

(That's kinda the point. There's no point in advertising if it's unseen.)

All I can say is that you'll get used to 'em. Thanks for your understanding!

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Aiden Ford
      I realize that the new advertising banners at the top of the page are probably necessary for financial reasons, but is there any chance that they could be moved to the bottom of the webpage? They stick out like a sore thumb at the top.

Here's an idea -- click on one of the advertising banners at least once a day (or week) -- and help GateWorld.

You can minimize the pop up window, let it run in the background, bring in some money for GateWorld, and look forward to spending more time at GateWorld Forum.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld
        (That's kinda the point. There's no point in advertising if it's unseen.)

All I can say is that you'll get used to 'em. Thanks for your understanding!

Darren
        There is one problem with it on the main site...the site's menu stays up where it normally would belike in this screenshot

http://www.serebiiforums.com/gateworld.jpg

Would be best to get this fixed
        Last edited by GateWorld; 31 May 2005, 07:44 AM.

Comment

We are aware of, and are working on this issue. It seems to only occur in some browsers.

Comment

Luckily my web browser is behaving And to be honest I've never really found the ads to be intrusive, maybe I just have a higher ability to tune them out (or I just don't pay nearly as much attention as you do ). Every so often I do click on one, it's usually a link to a site that is advertising "100% legal TV show downloads".....

Now, I'm fairly sure this has been mentioned somewhere on the forum sometime in the last 11 mths (since I joined early July ), but I'm afraid it's beyond the abilities of the search function to sniff it out. So, the question for the guys in charge is by listing a TV download site are you guys endorsing it as being legal?
            I only mention it because I would love to find some convincingly legal way to dl a number of shows (mostly SG and BSG when they start up again), and the site SAYS it's legal, but I was under the impression there was no legal way to download any TV shows But, my belief and trust in GW leads me to believe the ads that get posted.
            I don't know if you guys explicitly control the content of the ads, or if it's like in my gmail - automatically generated to target the people viewing the pages.

Clarification from anyone in the know would be appreciated

ETA: and now that I've noticed, for some odd reason there are no ads at all for me how odd!
            Last edited by kiwigater; 31 May 2005, 04:17 AM. Reason: where did all the ads go???

Comment

Sometimes the ads show up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's the nice, stately Google ads and sometimes it's the obnoxious flashing nightmares from which there is no escape.

The google ads, from my understanding, are a random thing generated by words within the page. For instance, I've seen ads for bellydancing supplies pop up at the top of the page in the Clothe Teyla thread. I don't think Darren & Co are endorsing bellydancing (don't think they're strictly against it, either), but it's just the words that let latched onto by the Google spiders or whatever. *tries not to picture spiders crawling over her posts*

I don't know if those "legal" sites are really legal, either. I'd be more wary of them than the "free" ones, personally.

Comment

my only issue is the flash ads. i HATE flash with a passion and some of them are so poorly made that they actually freak my puter processor out.

plain text/image ads, sure. i can live with, and in all honesty stop seeing them after a while, but the flash ads, i've stopped visiting some sites because of thier super dependance upon flash and the designers' assumption taht every surfer out there is on broadband with a super fast blazing computer

it's frustrating when the page you're trying to look at won't load until AFTER the ad does

It's not like i'll stop coming to gateworld, but well, FLASH should die!!! (and i'm not talking about the comic book hero here )
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

before anyone tries to follow morjana's advice and check out some of those ads, can you guarantee that there's no spyware/adware in them?

I have no objection to helping, but i don't feel like adding a daily run of adaware to my list of things to do to clean off all the spying cookies

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    my only issue is the flash ads. i HATE flash with a passion and some of them are so poorly made that they actually freak my puter processor out.

plain text/image ads, sure. i can live with, and in all honesty stop seeing them after a while, but the flash ads, i've stopped visiting some sites because of thier super dependance upon flash and the designers' assumption taht every surfer out there is on broadband with a super fast blazing computer
                    I agree. I don't mind the Google text ads at all, but the "gimmicky" ads that try to trick you into clicking on them just ensure that I never will. "Shoot the criminal and win a prize"...whatever.
                    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                    Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

No kidding. Some of those things are worse than viruses. Will also agree on the flash ads. I have no problem with plain text ads and even th brightly colored ones are OK, but those "shoot this to win" things and anything that flashes and/or moves tends to cause more trouble than it's worth. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that there's no way to weed out the "bad" ones from the rest. That's another part of their inherent insidiousness; they're mixed in so thoroughly there's no way to screen against them. *sigh*

Of course, you could always turn flash off, or set your comp not to autoload images, but that can be even MORE tedious, especially away from Gateworld.

Comment

I never used to notice the advertisements... now that you point them out, they're really bothering me.

Funny how the mind works...
                        Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
                        Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

LOL

hey, i'll just have to go home and see how well my norton works on blocking them

even here at work on my nice fast t-line, those animated ads bog the heck out of my puter

but hey, if they're part of the scenery, so be it

personally, the flashier the ads are the LESS likely i am to click on them. I accidentally clicked on one on my old desk top and it took me over a year to find and delete the spyware it'd dumped on it. so i personally NEVER click any online ads.

I think i checked out the download one once, but since i'm a dialup girl, it wouldn't work for me anyway

sigpic

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry about the ad trouble that some are experiencing -- we are obviously transitioning to a new system, and will be doing some maintenance and tweaking. If the GateWorld drop-down menu is vertically misaligned for you, please clear your browser's cache (Temporary Internet Files) and reload the page. Internet Explorer users can find this under View > Options. In Firefox it's at Tools > Options > Privacy. In Netscape it's Edit > Preferences. The files on the server, in other words, have been updated, but your Web browser is still using an older version it had laying around.

If you are using a browser plug-in or other application that strips out advertisements from all Web sites, you will have problems. We'll be making some adjustments that should allow you to browse with these activated and have the menu line up properly, but until then you might consider disabling the ad-stripper to properly view the site. (This does not apply to the forum.)

Thanks!
                            Darren
                            Last edited by GateWorld; 31 May 2005, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I think at home Norton Antivirus and Internet Security and stuff blocks the top ads. I came to the forum before I went to school and I didn't notice them. Maybe I'm blinder than I thought

I think the ones that are next to the banner show up sometimes lol.

But, I did just notice something... I went to the blog section and this is what I get:

[an error occured while processing this directive]

I refreshed a couple times and still got the same thing.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                              X