This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why'd they send a bunch of fruitcakes?

Is it just me or do almost all the team sent to Atlantis have major character flaws? McKay is so cocky as to be useless, Kavanagh is an obvious ********, Beckett can't shut his mouth and concentrate and Sheppard can't take orders. Most of them can't have huge difficulties handling stressful situations. This is definately not a team I'd sent on such a mission. The SGC could handle it a lot better. Thanks,

David

people handeling situations and taking orders with no problems dosn't make for as a good a tv show as people stuffing up and freaking out

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
      people handeling situations and taking orders with no problems dosn't make for as a good a tv show as people stuffing up and freaking out
      Oh, they could still make it interesting, it would just take far, far, far better writing than SGA has demonstrated thus far. This crew has more iffy personalities than a Gene Roddenberry project!

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
        Well SG1 handles problems without freakouts, and it's still quite a bit more entertaining than SGA. Thanks,

David

Comment

Originally posted by davsoft
          Well SG1 handles problems without freakouts, and it's still quite a bit more entertaining than SGA. Thanks,

David
          True, but they violate orders and make dreadful mistakes (like Carter's "Replicarter" snafu) that would probably get any real military type oh so canned.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
            True, but they violate orders and make dreadful mistakes (like Carter's "Replicarter" snafu) that would probably get any real military type oh so canned.
            Indeed, but that's not what I've got a problem with, the problem I have is the way things are handled. i.e. "It's not what you say, but how you say it" for want of a better explanation. Thanks,

David

Comment

Indeed, but that's not what I've got a problem with, the problem I have is the way things are handled. i.e. "It's not what you say, but how you say it" for want of a better explanation.
              That's a good point, if I am reading you right.

If there were repercussions for acts that don't toe the line, it would not only be more realistic, it would provide interesting episode plots. This is a lesson that BSG has taken to heart.

Comment

the worst imo is

Spoiler:
                the guy who turns up at the start of the last episode

every time he speaks, i keep expecting to see an american flag waving and the american national anthem play....

Help!
                My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                  the worst imo is

Spoiler:
                  the guy who turns up at the start of the last episode

every time he speaks, i keep expecting to see an american flag waving and the american national anthem play....
                  I LOVE that guy. It's so ridiculous, I was rolling on the floor when I first saw that scene.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                  it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                  It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                  And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Is it just me or do almost all the team sent to Atlantis have major character flaws? McKay is so cocky as to be useless, Kavanagh is an obvious ********, Beckett can't shut his mouth and concentrate and Sheppard can't take orders. Most of them can't have huge difficulties handling stressful situations. This is definately not a team I'd sent on such a mission. The SGC could handle it a lot better. Thanks,

David
                    Well maybe Earth sent people who could do the job but that they could stand to lose, just in case they walked through the gate and as soon as the gate closed, they all got eaten, crushed, destroyed. You'd mourn a bit but you'd get over it, because you've still got good people at home.

Look at it, they're all brilliant but as you say very flawed and perhaps a pain in the butt to those they worked with... except Weir. It's a no-guilt way for them to get rid of their pain in the ass people while at the same time if they are successful you have great gains. It's a win win situation all the way round Especially since now you have several pains in the arse in one city interacting each other, fun for us to watch.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Oooh, I saw this thread title and just KNEW it was going to be trouble!

The characters wouldn't be believable or likeable (or even hateable) if they were all Mary-Sues (or the male equivalent).

People have flaws, some of them good, some of them bad. The characters - they develop of the show goes on. I see nothing wrong with the characters. They have to have flaws so people will feel for them. And like this show, it's done very well.

Mary-Sues are EVIL! I'd boycott the show if they were all Mary-Sues with no problems.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                        Mary-Sues are EVIL! I'd boycott the show if they were all Mary-Sues with no problems.
                        Also a good point.

The thing is, the stereotypes of the folks in SGA are to the point of cliches (and you all know how JACK feels about cliches). Rodney is the science geek to the extreme. Shep is the maverick BEYOND the point of insubordination (hey, in disobeying Weir he probably reached the point of CHARGES). Teyla? Well, she hasn't been GIVEN a character yet. Ford? Well he is classic "red shirt" from Star Trek.

Sure, characters can have wrinkles, but these "fruitcakes" aren't even as multidimensional as many comic book characters! The need to WORK on that.

Comment

Is it just me or do almost all the team sent to Atlantis have major character flaws? McKay is so cocky as to be useless, Kavanagh is an obvious ********, Beckett can't shut his mouth and concentrate and Sheppard can't take orders.
                          McKay is there because, next to Carter, he knows the most about the Stargate and Ancient technology, Kavanaugh for likely the same reason. Beckett is there because he knows the most about the ATA gene and must be a brilliant doctor to be given clearance to study it in the first place. Sheppard is there because he not only has the Ancient gene, but because he has proven the most capable of utilizing it.

They could make a show where everyone was perfect with no character flaws, but I sure wouldn't watch it.
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I don't think the point is to have characters without flaws. The point is to have characters who aren't cliches exaggerated to the point of being a few steps away from a padded cell and one of those nice white coats with the sleeves that tie in the back.

Comment

If people didn't like the show and its characters I don't think it would be getting such high ratings.
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                              X