No announcement yet.

Spirits (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i thought their way of making the people dissapear was cool i think it just put them into a alternate reality but we never got the answer for that i think?

Comment

I was just watching it again this morning, and a thought occured to me...

What if the 'Spirits' are the Furlings? Like the Asgard, Ancients, and Nox, they are extremely powerful (enough to drive them from their world). They seem to live in relative communion with nature like the Nox. They look like they could also be techno savvy like the Asgard too. Also like the Ancients and the Nox they got crazy powers. They seem to be a very old race. So... why not? I'd say they're at least in the running of potential candidates. My only other one is the 'giant aliens' seen by Daniel's grandfather, Nick.
      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
        I was just watching it again this morning, and a thought occured to me...

What if the 'Spirits' are the Furlings? Like the Asgard, Ancients, and Nox, they are extremely powerful (enough to drive them from their world). They seem to live in relative communion with nature like the Nox. They look like they could also be techno savvy like the Asgard too. Also like the Ancients and the Nox they got crazy powers. They seem to be a very old race. So... why not? I'd say they're at least in the running of potential candidates. My only other one is the 'giant aliens' seen by Daniel's grandfather, Nick.
        Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a new theory. Any race basically that seems a mystery is usually branded as "possible Furlings." The fact is, we're probably never going to find out.
        Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
          Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a new theory. Any race basically that seems a mystery is usually branded as "possible Furlings." The fact is, we're probably never going to find out.
          Your right, that they may not be at all. However my only point was that they are advanced and evolved enough as a species that they could certainly be considered on par with the races of the Ancient Alliance. They made it clear in the episode that they had abandoned space travel, but it seems that at one time they had it. They just no longer have any interest in it for some reason.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I liked Tonane, but he did bug me a bit after a while; he just seemed too cheerful and laid back.

Sam's line "What big eyes you have?" to the wolf was great.

I always wonder about the use of animals in tv/film. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that they tied the dog's tail down to make it look more wolf-like. Dogs are pack animals though and most love pleasing people. I have two dogs with fantastic natures; as docile and gentle as anything but protective over my family too (no, they've never bitten - their bark has proved sufficient deterrent thus far). They really seem to enjoy pleasing us and actually get quite upset if they don't understand what we're asking them to do, like posing for a photo, for example.

This was an ok episode, not one of my favourites so far. Is it just me, or did the aliens seem to be persuaded a little too easily at the end?
            sigpic
            Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

You could tell from the dog's body language that he was not at all stressed by the whole movie making ordeal. His trainer would've been just a few feet out of the shot at all times, so he'd be happy.

The alien gills looked great and was a nice touch. Creepy, but well done. I'd like to know more about the aliens. They're obviously very advanced, perhaps more than any other we've encountered.
              They can make things disappear at will (transported to some other stasis realm?) and shapeshift into anything, any size too, and gain the abilities of what they shapeshift into. eg change into a bird and fly away, change into a dog and run fast etc. It may have all been done with holograms and transporter beams, but if not, they are seriously well evolved, perhaps even ascended to some degree?
              What motivates them to a contented life of watching over their Indian tribe? For such a peaceful and advanced race, they seem quick to anger (we deserved a kick in the backside, but being "disappeared" seemed harsh).

One of those encounters that you really wish went better. They could've been powerful friends.

Comment

Something that brought the spirits down to size was when Teal'c zatted Zaels. I cheered, I laughed. It showed that they are mortal after all. It really knocked him about too, more than most others. They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Comment

In the past I've wondered why they picked the Salish as the Native American tribe living on the planet. (I don't know anything about Native Americans.) Well, last week I was at the British Museum. In the Americas gallery they have two carved red cedar doorposts that came from a Coast Salish house. The Salish lived in British Columbia and the item description mentioned Vancouver Island. So now I know.
                  C-D
                  Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

I liked a few elements of this episode, after rewatching the discs...

1) the spirits reminded me of the nox. particularly with the 'making people disappear' thing but also in the way they all gathered in order to heal the zatted spirit guy in the infirmary

2) doctor whatever his name was, before he was zatted to reveal Zales ... his head movements were very animalistic to me and i thoguht that was interesting

i'm a little peeved we never get to talk to them in terms of some sort of 'hey we don't like the goauld either' thing.

Comment

i'm a little peeved we never get to talk to them in terms of some sort of 'hey we don't like the goauld either' thing.
                      Yea I was wondering about that too. The aliens obviously didn't like the Goauld - they would have made powerful allies. And too bad they're burying their stargate. In some ways, the alien planet would make a perfect trap: lure the Goauld to travel to the planet, the aliens zap them into nothingness, and voila, no more problem!

The aliens also reminded me of the Nox. If not for their aggressive nature, I'd say they're close to ascension.

Comment

I wonder what exactly happens to them when they get 'zapped..

Comment

I wondered that myself. The Wikipedia article for this episode states that zap victims go to "a place of nothingness".

Comment

I loved Sam's smile when she realized she was taking her first command.

My rating: 6/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/06/spirits.html
                            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tjackson80 View Post
                              I liked a few elements of this episode, after rewatching the discs...

1) the spirits reminded me of the nox. particularly with the 'making people disappear' thing but also in the way they all gathered in order to heal the zatted spirit guy in the infirmary

2) doctor whatever his name was, before he was zatted to reveal Zales ... his head movements were very animalistic to me and i thoguht that was
                              interesting

Well they probably have gained their power in a way very similar to that of the Nox. Look at the Asgard and the Goa'uld, they are very different kinds of species. However, they were developing on a very similar path. Completely different cultures but for example they both use spaceships with similar types of weapons systems.

Originally posted by RobertF
                              Yea I was wondering about that too. The aliens obviously didn't like the Goauld - they would have made powerful allies. And too bad they're burying their stargate. In some ways, the alien planet would make a perfect trap: lure the Goauld to travel to the planet, the aliens zap them into nothingness, and voila, no more problem!

The aliens also reminded me of the Nox. If not for their aggressive nature, I'd say they're close to ascension.
                              Much like the Nox these people aren't the kind of people who go to war. They saved the Salish from the Goa'uld, but that doesn't mean they are going to go around the galaxy hunting more Goa'uld's. To tell you the truth I don't think ascension is the goal of every species. The Nox obviously don't believe it is worth it or they would have already ascended.
                              sigpic

Comment

the best and only part i liked was when the aliens showed their true forms.

as a whole, the native american theme did not really excite me.

jack is like a bullseye target for sharp metals. poor guy.

i am happy to see that conners have been promoted and is now leading his own sg team.

question: is sg1 the only team with a civilian culture expert like daniel?

Comment

Working...
                                X