This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question everyone wants

When you turn on phase shifting, how comes you dont fall through the floor?

Help!
    My emojournal

Sam: Because the phase shifting matrix enablier is designed to measure the the flow of gravtons over the object and adjust to compensate to fit the horzional postion of the person wearing the phase shifter....
    Jack: Colonel.
    Sam: It can sense gravity sir. The feild dosen't project dopwnward.
    Jack: Ahhh.
    Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllowedToNameAnything.Ever.
      Sam: Because the phase shifting matrix enablier is designed to measure the the flow of gravtons over the object and adjust to compensate to fit the horzional postion of the person wearing the phase shifter....
      Ahhhh....explained at last

Help!
      My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllowedToNameAnything.Ever.
        WOW!! Did you just come up with that or is it a quote?
        pretty impressive if it's yours.

Comment

Technobabble has a way of explaining everything.

However, when Daniel was 'phased out' in The Crystal Skull, he should have phased through the floor. Technobabble can't explain that one.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

It is only technobabble if you do not understand it.

It is possible that Daniel was only phased out far enough to not be visible or audible, but still able to interact with matter in our phase, like the Reetou. If Daniel fell through a wall or something, I appoligize, I don't remember the episode, if he did pass through matter in our phase than my explination does not account for it. It is possible that the device that phased him out, I believe it was the skull, created some sort of natural field below him that allowed him to interact with matter in the direction of the gravtional force relative to his possition.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
              Technobabble has a way of explaining everything.

However, when Daniel was 'phased out' in The Crystal Skull, he should have phased through the floor. Technobabble can't explain that one.
              and the filing cabinet!
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I appoligize, I did not remember those points from the episode, however my second explination is still possible.

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                It is possible that the device that phased him out, I believe it was the skull, created some sort of natural field below him that allowed him to interact with matter in the direction of the gravtional force relative to his possition.
                Owen Macri

Comment

It is possible that the device that phased him out, I believe it was the skull, created some sort of natural field below him that allowed him to interact with matter in the direction of the gravtional force relative to his possition.
                  Um, if the skull did it, wouldn't that be an unnatural field?

The word 'Natural' is a huge buzzword these days, and most people using it don't even grasp it's true meaning.
                  For example, when an advertisement says "All natural" what does that mean? I know what the manufacturer is trying to say, but they're using the word wrong.
                  Nature includes all things in the universe. That includes us, since according to science, we're a natural product of the universe. Black holes, genetically modified organisms, chocolate chip cookies, nuclear waste, and robots would all be considered natural, because they're products of the natural evolution of the universe.

Sorry, but it bugs me when people don't understand the language they're using.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

No, an unnatural field would be if the skull projected a field underneath the person at all times, using some sort of mechanical device. I am suggesting that the skull alters a natural function of the body to produce a constant dampening field.

Owen Macri

Comment

No, an unnatural field would be if the skull projected a field underneath the person at all times, using some sort of mechanical device. I am suggesting that the skull alters a natural function of the body to produce a constant dampening field.

Owen Macri
                      Alters a natural function? Hello?!? That would be unnatural by definition.

Comment

It is still being created by the potential function of a normal function. It is still natural, however it is not what we would consider normal. It is not being created by artificial means, altering a natural, normal fuction, to end up having an abnormal function but still a natural one, because if the normal function can be altered to a diffrent one, it was potentialy allways a function of the body, therefore making it a natural one.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                          When you turn on phase shifting, how comes you dont fall through the floor?
                          How do you breath?
                          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                          LANDRY
                          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Most of the time you are not completly phase shifted, you can still interact with matter in our phase. There is also the possibility that there is the same type of atmosphere in a particular region in every phase, so you would be breathing oxygen, only oxygen in another phase.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes I just made it up, basically the only thing I can think of really is that the natural flow of gravity would dirupt any phase shifting tech. Sort of a natural safe guard. Either that or the tollan and giant aliens had to put somekind of safe guard in. Maybe the flow of gravtons cancels it out. Can only imagine how many test probes they lost to figure that out.

It reminds me of a joke about the men in black movie. How many times did they have to try out the memory eraseing device before the figured out they need the shades.
                              "Hey i figured it out..."(flash)
                              "What was I saying."
                              Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Working...
                              X