Page 5 of 303 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ask "BAMBAM" - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, S9) and SGA (S1, S2)

Hi,
    My question is you've worked on both SGA and SG-1 so out of Teal'c and Teyla who is the more skilled fighter?
    Btw ur doin a great job on the shows.

Stargate Stunt/Fighting Coordinator 2BAM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    Not even to discipline my 4 year old...?! Oh drats!

Thanks a million for answering my question!

I'm a huge fan of HK martial arts films and was wondering if there's any possibility of wirework in the future... flying aliens and that sort of thing...
    There is always a possibility, as this is one of my specialties................I try not to incorporate wires unless they are justified though. Personally, I am not a big fan of the "no-gravity" look, but using wires to enhance athletics is cool. Jackie Chan is a master of wires without making it look like there are any..................example: "Drunken Master 2".

Quote Originally Posted by BritAngie
    Hi there!

I know that some actors enjoy doing stunts. As a professional stunt man where do you draw the line at what you won't let someone do full stop even though they may be up for it?
    Each case is individual depending on the abilities of the actor. Sometimes the gag is far too dangerous, ie. will hurt no matter what precautions are taken, or ie. too many variables involved. This is when a stunt double is mandatory. At a certain point, the insurance company needs to know that the actor is protected from harms way, and the production needs to have the actor back and able to work the next day. Some stunt will hurt no matter what, this is the line.................ie. being hit by a car.....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleyin
    Thanks for answering my question before, and I have another if that's okay.

I saw you were stunt double for Jonothan LaPaglia on Seven Days, and given that there doesn't at first glance appear to be that much fighting on the show, certainly not like Teyla's sparring on SGA atleast, I was wondering what kind of stunts you ended up doing on the show? Forgive me if there was some kind of sparring on the show, I only ever got to see first half of Season 1 so wouldn't know if there had been anything later on.
    I only doubled Johnathon a few times, and was not his regular double. That said, martial arts is not the limit of my skill set. I am a utility stuntman. This means I have been trained in most of the other "generic" stunts such as full body burns, high falls, driving, air rams, ratchets, wire-work. One of the only things I tend to leave to others is motorcycle stunts. Although I own a sport bike, and love to ride, there are so many guys out there that only ride and this there specialty. But to further answer, there was no call for martial arts while I was doubling Johnathon. Just jumping, or falling off high things etc......

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    Hello again!
    This only occured to me just now...

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is upon us, and one of the many new games being previewed is the first/third-person action-shooter, Stargate SG1: the Alliance. As someone who professionally coreographs the action scenes on Stargate, have you had any involvement with the game? And if so, can you tell us about it?
    I know its probably a long shot that you are involved, but you know what they say: ...ask...questions...'n stuff...

Yours in generation,
    The White Knight
    I had no involvement in the game. It was done before I was officially involved in SG1 choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by kirmit
    Hi,
    My question is you've worked on both SGA and SG-1 so out of Teal'c and Teyla who is the more skilled fighter?
    Btw ur doin a great job on the shows.
    Since I have become the fight choreographer on SG1, there has not been any fight action for Teal'c so I can't speak from working with Chris, although I have worked with him as a stunt performer. From what I gather, from watching previous episodes, Teal'c's style is just different. It if based on power, and brute strength, whereas Teyla's style is based on speed, agility, and technique. Teal'c also has technique involved but it is less intricate. Each strike from Teal'c would no doubt, take your head off. This is a question that I have pondered myself, and I suggested to Chris Judge that Teal'c somehow get to our galaxy and engage in a training session with Teyla..............now wouldn't that be interesting..........Chris has spoken with me about training, and when the time comes we will be working on developing some new techniques for him that are more advanced, and more dangerous.

Oh I know I have another question, Stunt School. Do you think Stunt People should go to a school or is the Stunt School more or less for networking.

I went for a couple sessions when I lived in LA at the LAFA, and met a few guys who talked me into trying jumping off a building, total rush and the stunt driving, but I didn't continue b/c I felt it was more networking then anything. Broadsword play was cool, but they are heavy.... Wondering your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Saqqara
    Oh I know I have another question, Stunt School. Do you think Stunt People should go to a school or is the Stunt School more or less for networking.

I went for a couple sessions when I lived in LA at the LAFA, and met a few guys who talked me into trying jumping off a building, total rush and the stunt driving, but I didn't continue b/c I felt it was more networking then anything. Broadsword play was cool, but they are heavy.... Wondering your thoughts
    That depends on the school..............there are some good schools out there. At times, schools are opened as a money making scheme only, so the quality of the instruction is not there. There are some great stunt driving schools in the LA area. Rick Seaman's Motion Picture Stunt Driving School, is the top one at the moment. Many LA stunt people, and Canadian stunt people attend that school. If one is interested in becoming a stunt performer, it is good idea to already have an extensive background in athletics................ie. be the best you can be at something that is not too generic, so you will stand out from the crowd. Aside from training, networking is an important part of the industry, so if that is where you are looking to go with your career..................do it. If you are still an actress that wants to get some new skills, your view is totally understandable. Just try to take out of it what you want, and ignore the politics of it all..............its hard, but can be done. Take care!

Thank You for answering mine and others questions and taking time out of your day to do so You take care to.

I am still a SAG member but I don't work as often anymore as I live down in SD now, but someday I may get to work in Vancouver again

Just had a thought and have to ask, how does it differ (if it does at all) to train and organise fgihts/stunts for characters wearing prosthetics etc, like Steve's fight with Teyla in Suspicion?

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    Not even to discipline my 4 year old...?! Oh drats!
    Oh my! Armbars are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.

Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."

Captain

Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again!

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleyin
    Just had a thought and have to ask, how does it differ (if it does at all) to train and organise fgihts/stunts for characters wearing prosthetics etc, like Steve's fight with Teyla in Suspicion?
    I do have to take the Spfx make-up into account, but the fight in Suspicion was one of my stuntmen in the make-up. When I put my own people in the make-up I trust that they will handle it, no matter what the choreography. The only trouble we have had with the Wraith is the sight out of the contacts that they wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord You
    Oh my! Armbars are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.
    I thank you for them. Paul has also done some pro wrestling, so he is a master at selling those techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by abydchulac
    Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."
    So far, as you said, now go do something. They have learned to trust me, and rarely get too specific with their vision. I try to ask enough questions so that I can get exactly what they want in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Hunter
    Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again!

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.
    I am constantly learning new techniques for film from different styles. Sometimes I learn something by watching, and then pass it on to the actors. Sometimes I bring in one of my team to demonstrate the technique for the actors. It really depends on the technique, and how well versed I am in it. What you can do in RL and on film are two different things. I can be shown something that I could not pull off in a real fight but have no problem demonstrating it for film. That happens quite often.

Hi Mr Bamford,

Firstly, I would just like to add my thanks to you for coming and giving us all this insight into the world of stunts..

I'm not sure this has been asked...but is there any way you could attend the Stargate Conventions - (esp. UK )?... It would be fascinating to have Stunt Demonstrations to visually see the setup and procedure.
    Thanks, Kas
    Last edited by Kas; May 23rd, 2005 at 02:49 AM.

Chief Master Sergeant teddybearnospaces's Avatar

At last! An ask (insert person's name associated with the show here) thread I can get interested in!
    I know you've gotten a ton of this, but thanks for posting, it really is a treat. Did I mention you were my new favorite person? Probalby. Anyway. I assume there will be more sequences with stick fighting in the upcoming season. My question is, are they going to get it out of the training area? The majority of the cool stuff we've seen has all been in the training environment. Which I don't mind because the action doesn't stop in practice like it does in a fight, but I just wanna know if we're going to get to see Teyla actually kicking some butt instead of practicing?

btw, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You wouldn't happen to have any use for a 22 year old martial artist with a 12 year kung fu background and experience with aikido, tai chi, arnis, kendo, iaido, and a little bit of wushu weapons would you? (shrug) Can't hurt to ask right?

"A martial artist does not become tense, but ready," Bruce Lee
    "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Hi Mr. Bamford.

Thanks for taking the time to be here and answer questions.

With regards to preparing for/coreographing stunts and fight scenes, etc., do you spent any time on set (either before/after it's being made)to get a feel for what you can/can't do in the space provided?
    And does the set scenery limit what you can do, or does it provide you with more potential for action?

Cheers
    "Magnets." - Col. Jack O'Neill

Page 5 of 303 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast