This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easter Lily
    Not even to discipline my 4 year old...?! Oh drats!
    Oh my! Armbars are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.

Comment

Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."

Comment

Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again!

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          Just had a thought and have to ask, how does it differ (if it does at all) to train and organise fgihts/stunts for characters wearing prosthetics etc, like Steve's fight with Teyla in Suspicion?
          I do have to take the Spfx make-up into account, but the fight in Suspicion was one of my stuntmen in the make-up. When I put my own people in the make-up I trust that they will handle it, no matter what the choreography. The only trouble we have had with the Wraith is the sight out of the contacts that they wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
            Oh my! Armbars are really painful. During training at my local club we try to set them up quickly but apply pressure slowly so as not to permanently damage anyone's elbow and give him/her time to tap out. But they still hurt! When facing a relatively unskilled opponent, some people allow takedowns so they can get into guard and quickly initiate an armbar. The trick is setting them up quickly, since they are relatively easy to counter if you know what's coming. Mad props to Rainbow and Paul Lazenby for making it look convincing.
            I thank you for them. Paul has also done some pro wrestling, so he is a master at selling those techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by abydchulac
              Hey, thanks for giving us your time and answers like this, Mr. Bamford. I just was wondering, how much leeway are you given in designing the stunts and fights? Do the directors usually have an exact look or effect they want ("yeah, like they don't usually," mutters the young actor-in-training), or are they more along the lines of, "Okay, Teyla trains with Sheppard, Teyla wins, now go do something."
              So far, as you said, now go do something. They have learned to trust me, and rarely get too specific with their vision. I try to ask enough questions so that I can get exactly what they want in the end anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                Hi Mr Bamford. It's me the Non believer back to bother you again!

When I was a kid I took Boxing for 5 years. Mum thought it was too brutal so made me give it up & told me instead to take up Martial Art's. I chose TKD as it was my nearest school, Took it for 6 years until I had an altercation with a group of guys on my 16th Birthday. Some of the shortcomings were exposed to me after the multiple beatings I received, espeically the lack of Hand Skills that I was missing. So Again I changed & this time took up Hapkido. Been doing it for the past 8 years. So the three main styles I have trained have all sort of blended together into my own personal style. I have read a few of your answers & see that you have also crosstrained a lot with different styles.

All characters in the show all have their own personal style. Ford used the Flying Armbar most likely from Bjj (or Flying Juji Gatame as it was origianlly known in Japanese Judo.) So he seems to be into the Mma stuff, Since season 2 will feature a lot more soldiers from Earth they will probably all have similar styles of Mma/Jkd etc etc. Teyla is Kali/Escrima & Dex will have his own style, as will others like Wraith & other aliens on both SG-1 & Atlantis.

Since you are the head stunt guy on Stargate. I assume it's you that decides which style goes to which character after getting the appropriate info about their background. So as you've trained in more than 1 Martial Art, is it you who gives the Actors their final moves for the scene or for styles which you have no personal experience in do you rely on or bring in someone from/to your Stunt team who has the training behind them or suggests some cool moves. To bring the Actors up to speed on their moves for the required fight sequence.
                I am constantly learning new techniques for film from different styles. Sometimes I learn something by watching, and then pass it on to the actors. Sometimes I bring in one of my team to demonstrate the technique for the actors. It really depends on the technique, and how well versed I am in it. What you can do in RL and on film are two different things. I can be shown something that I could not pull off in a real fight but have no problem demonstrating it for film. That happens quite often.

Comment

Hi Mr Bamford,

Firstly, I would just like to add my thanks to you for coming and giving us all this insight into the world of stunts..

I'm not sure this has been asked...but is there any way you could attend the Stargate Conventions - (esp. UK )?... It would be fascinating to have Stunt Demonstrations to visually see the setup and procedure.
                  Thanks, Kas
                  Last edited by Kas; 23 May 2005, 01:49 AM.

Comment

At last! An ask (insert person's name associated with the show here) thread I can get interested in!
                    I know you've gotten a ton of this, but thanks for posting, it really is a treat. Did I mention you were my new favorite person? Probalby. Anyway. I assume there will be more sequences with stick fighting in the upcoming season. My question is, are they going to get it out of the training area? The majority of the cool stuff we've seen has all been in the training environment. Which I don't mind because the action doesn't stop in practice like it does in a fight, but I just wanna know if we're going to get to see Teyla actually kicking some butt instead of practicing?

btw, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You wouldn't happen to have any use for a 22 year old martial artist with a 12 year kung fu background and experience with aikido, tai chi, arnis, kendo, iaido, and a little bit of wushu weapons would you? (shrug) Can't hurt to ask right?

"A martial artist does not become tense, but ready," Bruce Lee
                    "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

Hi Mr. Bamford.

Thanks for taking the time to be here and answer questions.

With regards to preparing for/coreographing stunts and fight scenes, etc., do you spent any time on set (either before/after it's being made)to get a feel for what you can/can't do in the space provided?
                      And does the set scenery limit what you can do, or does it provide you with more potential for action?

Cheers
                      "Magnets." - Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                        Hi Mr Bamford,

Firstly, I would just like to add my thanks to you for coming and giving us all this insight into the world of stunts..

I'm not sure this has been asked...but is there any way you could attend the Stargate Conventions - (esp. UK )?... It would be fascinating to have Stunt Demonstrations to visually see the setup and procedure.
                        Thanks, Kas
                        The event promotor has to invite me I think. I'm not sure how that is done, but it would be my pleasure to attend. I snuck into the Vancouver convention and had a look see. Fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by teddybearnospaces
                          At last! An ask (insert person's name associated with the show here) thread I can get interested in!
                          I know you've gotten a ton of this, but thanks for posting, it really is a treat. Did I mention you were my new favorite person? Probalby. Anyway. I assume there will be more sequences with stick fighting in the upcoming season. My question is, are they going to get it out of the training area? The majority of the cool stuff we've seen has all been in the training environment. Which I don't mind because the action doesn't stop in practice like it does in a fight, but I just wanna know if we're going to get to see Teyla actually kicking some butt instead of practicing?

btw, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You wouldn't happen to have any use for a 22 year old martial artist with a 12 year kung fu background and experience with aikido, tai chi, arnis, kendo, iaido, and a little bit of wushu weapons would you? (shrug) Can't hurt to ask right?

"A martial artist does not become tense, but ready," Bruce Lee
                          LOL!! Of course I have use for such a martial artist. I actually have many already on my team with just such qualities. Thanx for asking though!! I would have to say that, yes, you will be seeing Teyla, and others out there in combat situations................yes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
                            LOL!! Of course I have use for such a martial artist. I actually have many already on my team with just such qualities. Thanx for asking though!! I would have to say that, yes, you will be seeing Teyla, and others out there in combat situations................yes.
                            Very good question. The answer is yes, I spend alot of time surveying the location. The answer is also yes to the effect the location has on the choreography. You can't throw a jump spinning back kick in a phone both. I try to have ample time to rehearse in the location that we intend to shoot on both before the day of, and on the day of shooting. I try to look for certain qualities about the landscape that will enhance the action.

Comment

Hello Mr Bamford,

are we going to see in SG-1 season 9 any fight scenes involving Vala? How is it like to work with Claudia Black?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                                Hello Mr Bamford,

are we going to see in SG-1 season 9 any fight scenes involving Vala? How is it like to work with Claudia Black?
                                There have been no lengthy fight scenes handed to me yet involving Claudia. She is a sweet woman for sure. We have done some initial training at the onset of the season, which she was gung-ho for, but nothing has been put in writing as yet. I can't predict what will happen with her character, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X