• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to Firefly

From the Futon Critic:

The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to Firefly

May 19, 2005

FIREFLY (FOX) - The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to all 15 hours of the short-lived FOX series (and basis of the upcoming "Serenity" feature film). The network's July schedule lists the series as joining its Friday lineup on July 22 at 7:00/6:00c where it will precede original episodes of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Great news
    Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Oh! Hell yeah!
      Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Warning: Cover your ears...Jayne fangirly squee is imminent...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
        EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
        EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(Skiffy has managed to dig itself out of a rather deep hole in my respect category. Now, to get WEEKDAY syndication for Farscape...)

My Favorite Jayne Quotes:
        "Time for some thrilling heroics."
        "These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me."
        "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
        "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

hopefully an overture to getting the rights to produce new eps.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Sweet
            I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
              hopefully an overture to getting the rights to produce new eps.
              From your lips to Bonnie's ears!!!!!

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
              "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

Does that mean that Fox won't air the series before the premiere of the film?

I wonder if they are going to air it in the right order or if they are going to follow the Fox order.
                Last edited by Blue Banrigh; 19 May 2005, 05:17 PM.

Comment

It would definitely be nice if Scifi would air it in the right order. Surely they will. I think Fox gave up the rights to the series so Joss could shop it around - don't expect it on that network.

Interesting that Scifi is picking it up now - I think they passed on it when Joss was trying to keep Firefly going after Fox cancelled.

Maybe...maybe.....the movie will revive interest and Scifi's ratings will be good and the series will come back. I'd love to have Jayne and Mal and the gang in my living room every week.

I'm delusional I know but it's fun to think about.

Scifi would have quite the lineup with Firefly, SG-1, Atlantis and BSG on Friday night. The guys wouldn't be hard to look at - that's for sure.
                  Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes

Interesting that Scifi is picking it up now - I think they passed on it when Joss was trying to keep Firefly going after Fox cancelled.

Maybe...maybe.....the movie will revive interest and Scifi's ratings will be good and the series will come back. I'd love to have Jayne and Mal and the gang in my living room every week.

I'm delusional I know but it's fun to think about.

Scifi would have quite the lineup with Firefly, SG-1, Atlantis and BSG on Friday night. The guys wouldn't be hard to look at - that's for sure.
                    According to JMS, Firefly couldn't be shopped to another network, but a movie was allowed in the original contract. The strong DVD sales attracted investors and Universal's interest and this pickup "appears" to be the initial step to acquiring the franchise/property rights from FOX. Or at the very least the movie rights. Only Joss Whedon and the studio lawyers knows for sure. July 22 is the starting date for Firefly on the SF Channel. It has been speculated that Firefly may stay on the big screen rather than returning to a weekly TV series, but who knows for sure? It would depend on how well the movie does and/or the ratings the TV series generates. The UK SciFi Channel is currently showing the episodes in order, so it would make sense the US SciFi network would do the same and would be to their advantage to do so.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                      According to JMS, Firefly couldn't be shopped to another network, but a movie was allowed in the original contract. The strong DVD sales attracted investors and Universal's interest and this pickup "appears" to be the initial step to acquiring the franchise/property rights from FOX. Or at the very least the movie rights. Only Joss Whedon and the studio lawyers knows for sure. July 22 is the starting date for Firefly on the SF Channel. It has been speculated that Firefly may stay on the big screen rather than returning to a weekly TV series, but who knows for sure? It would depend on how well the movie does and/or the ratings the TV series generates. The UK SciFi Channel is currently showing the episodes in order, so it would make sense the US SciFi network would do the same and would be to their advantage to do so.
                      Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I remembered that Fox allowed Joss to shop it around for a little while. Guess not - glad it's going to come back to a network now. And great timing for the tie-in to the movie.

This can only be good for Firefly. *fingers crossed*
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                        Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I remembered that Fox allowed Joss to shop it around for a little while. Guess not - glad it's going to come back to a network now. And great timing for the tie-in to the movie.

This can only be good for Firefly. *fingers crossed*
                        Of course its great timing. I mean, Universal owns Skiffy too. So, its basically free advertising.

"I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

Fox owns the rights to a television series in Firefly!verse for ten years after the last film is released, if I remember correctly. Doesn't mean Universal won't be willing to negotiate that, of course. I've always kind of suspected that the reason SciFi didn't snatch up Firefly in the first place was that that was the year they picked up Stargate, and its direction was a little uncertain too.
                          Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                          Last update: 14 April 2006
                          Melyanna's Multimedia
                          Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

From what I could gather at the time the show was winding down, the Fox people in charge of making Firefly where eager to keep going on whatever network they could air it on. It was the broadcast arm of Fox that didn't want it anymore. Hence allowing Whedon to shop the show around to other networks before the actor's contracts ran out.

That may not be the case anymore, but you'd think that with a successful movie behind them the TV people would be eager to capitalize. It's not like a tv series based on a movie can't work.

a time to mourn

Comment

I can't wait to see it. I saw the trailer for Serenity and I'm hooked. I'm definitely looking forward to tasting the wonders of Firefly.
                              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Working...
                              X