Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North and South (Novel and BBC Adaptation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know... I thought the same thing... about RA and JF being very similar in interviews... but I credited it to my being very bias about both men...

I read a couple of sequels... found the links through IMDB...
    Both very short... and felt inspired to do my own... but haven't got much time at the moment... But I've got a few ideas, probably need to do some research first.
    I'm not into fanfics as a whole though I like a lot of the FireflyFans.net ones... it keeps me going while I'm waiting for Serenity to make it's appearance... I'm a Mal/Inara sap I must admit...

I'm really impressed that Richard does a lot of research getting into character; shows a lot of dedication to his art.
    Last edited by Easter Lily; 21 May 2005, 02:07 AM. Reason: Firefly Fans and other missing words...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Heh, in that case I'm biased, too.

I've been reading some fanfic C19. You have to register. A lot of it is AU modern imaginings. I skipped those. I'd be interested in reading one set at the beginnings or just prior to the American Civil War because that's when the English cotton industry went bust.

I read a lot of Atlantis fanfic. Never read any Firefly stuff.

I'm impressed by the whole thing research-wise, like how everytime they needed to cover something up, they stuck an advertising poster over it. I liked the way Richard said that he'd always go back to the book.

Comment

I lurk.

I watched the series, bought the DVD, ordered the book (I'll be getting it in about 3 weeks). So I can't really comment on how different it is from the book, but I am curious to how different the ending is.

But I don't know what to add to the discussion other than how fine Thornton looks and sounds. Damn he is hot and I loved the cinematography, how the colour grade changes throughout the series.

Comment

Blue! Was wondering where you were. Welcome, welcome.

There's no train station scene. Thornton visits Margaret in London.

He's so very fine. And hot. Let's talk about that some...

The photography is very good, but one doesn't expect bad photography from the BBC. I like the opening. It's very clever.

Comment

Hey Blue... good to see you on this thread... For a while there, it was just a dialogue

I lurk.
            I'm sure you're not the only one... the viewing count is a lot higher than the post count...

I found a copy of the book online after watching Episode 2 because I had to get to the denouement... The next day I went out, compared prices and got a copy from JB Hifi... I forgot to try KMart unfortunately...

I don't know why but Richard Armitage made a much stronger impression on me as John Thornton than Colin Firth did as Darcy... Perhaps it's better not to know a book too well when watching these adaptations.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I've never watched that adaptation of P&P with Colin Firth, he falls into a pond yes? I remember my friend going on about that.

Comment

I got my copy from Angus and Robertson. I wanted it, so I didn't care about shopping around.

Had the Darcy vs Thorton discussion the other day with one of my students. She said she prefered Darcy and I pointed out the brooding factor was higher in N&S. She protested that Darcy could do a good brood and I said that it was because Colin Firth wore eyeliner.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                  I've never watched that adaptation of P&P with Colin Firth, he falls into a pond yes? I remember my friend going on about that.
                  No... he dives into and emerges from a pond and displays his manly qualities...

Originally posted by Shep's Socks
                  Had the Darcy vs Thorton discussion the other day with one of my students. She said she prefered Darcy and I pointed out the brooding factor was higher in N&S. She protested that Darcy could do a good brood and I said that it was because Colin Firth wore eyeliner.
                  LOL... I wish I could give you green for that comment...

Colin Firth is more bumbling than brooding IMO... He was hilarious in Shakespeare in Love... unrecognizable...
                  I don't think Darcy is meant to be a brooder... he's an arrogant so and so but that's it...
                  sigpic

Comment

I think there is a certain look that suits brooding well, David Boreanaz and Richard Armitage have it. I think Colin Firth pulls of fopsy better... but then again I've only seen him in rom coms.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Shiny, I love his casual look. I just realised I haven't watched any of the deleted scenes.

Comment

I call it the "cravatless" look...

Haven't seen the deleted scenes yet? Oh but you must... especially the extended proposal scene... twice as angsty... Oh that shattered look on Thornton's face... crying out for a hug...
                          sigpic

Comment

I wish they'd put the extended proposal scene into the series when it was released on DVD. I can see why they didn't put the scene with Margaret and her father in Helstone, but that one should have been in.

Mmmm, pics. Feel a reworking of the sig coming on....

I read a lot of the fanfic last night. Thornton always seems so overwrought in them. He's always bellowing at people and losing his temper, and really he didn't do it that much in either series or book. Yes, those scenes stood out but that was because, in each medium, he was always so controlled otherwise.

Comment

Man that proposal scene was painful. Poor bunny. He should get a hug. I always cringe when it comes to embarrassing situations for my favourite characters. Especially when their feelings are getting stomped on.

Comment

I shrieked "You b*tch!" at the television. Except with an 'i' instead of an asterix because they're difficult to pronounce.

Comment

Working...
                                X